Railroad Line Forums - The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 131 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop
Page: of 13

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  5:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good progress on the modules, and some very nice cars, Grant.

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  02:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PUSH-N-PULL SWITCH ACTUATOR

I thought I'd share with everyone what I've been up to on my California Northern & Cascade modules.
I've been working on a manual switch actuator that can be operated from either side of my module. This system would need to incorporate switches such as Peco or Micro Engineering with loaded spring mechanisms.
There are many different push-n-pull actuators out there but this is how I tackled it.

I wanted something clean looking.

I made a quick mock-up.

I used these materials. The 8-32 threaded rod and aluminum screw post are from Lowe’s. The #8 ring terminals are from local auto parts house. The tubing is from Ace Hardware.
I simply took a large paper clip and soldered it to the ring terminal.

Here I've installed the mechanism through the fascia of my module. The aluminum post (knob) can be removed for transporting the module. I can also remove it on the public side of the module in order to avoid unwanted switching.

This is a shot of the support system and throw rod assemble. The plastic tubing is held in place with supper glue. It allows the threaded rod to travel freely.

This is what it looks like from the underside. A push rod system that can be activated from either side of the module.

And there you have it! A simple push-n-pull switch actuator that costs around 5$.

This system will also work on switches that are at a slight angle to the fascia. The throw rod will flex enough to still throw the switch.

I hope someone can use this for ideas on their own module or home layout.

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

Edited by - slatecreeklogger on 07/03/2009 03:24:15 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  5:44:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A nice and simple method, Randy, but I guess it wouldn't work so simply if the turnout mechanism didn't have a spring to hold the blades in straight or deviated position.

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  11:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PUSH-N-PULL switch mechanism
True, this method would require a switch that has a throw with tension.
It would take a little more to come up with an L-bracket and rocker mechanism, but
I'm sure someone could expand on what I've done.
It does work great with my Peco switches and that is what I was shooting for.
Thanks for checking out my ideas.

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  05:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's pretty darn cool, Randy ... ...! Can't wait to see it up close & personal ... maybe we can see if we can do the same to the switches on my spur & siding, going through another 2" of foam ... when I finally get 'round to laying track ...?

While Randy was playing "Mr. Mom" Thursday night and Conner was on a trip to Washington, DC, with his parents, Ross, Corey, & I met at the shop and managed to make a little more progress on Ross' & my modules.

Ross managed to add a little more foam, do some carving, and then lay on some plaster-cloth ...

... and I managed to finish carving the foam and filling in some "holidays" with foam putty on my left wing module ...

... and opened up the tunnel portals at each end of "the cut" to make room for the rock castings, as well as smooth out the inside of the left tunnel ...

About a week-or-so ago, I decided I was happy with the shaping of the right wing, so I broke out the paint and laid down a coat to give the ground some base color (the stepped walls will be covered with random stone castings) ...

And, finally, I had a few minutes Wednesday evening, so I sketched out where the On18 switch-back track will likely go ...

(the tracks at the back will be 10" higher than what you see now, with the rest gradually working their way down. That 10" will put the total height right at 24", which is the maximum for getting into the back of my Saturn Wagon ... I think I'll do a "test fit" just to be sure before I glue on the final layer, though ... ...!)

Like Randy, I feel a little guilty about the progress I'm/we're making over the rest of the club, because I've got my modules right there in my shop and can work on them almost every day (though I don't very often because of business, and lack of energy at the end of the day). I'm confident it will all work out, though, and with any luck, we'll be able to run some trains by the end of summer ... maybe ... ...!

Thanks for checking in! As always, comments & questions are more than welcome! 'Til next time, then ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  09:57:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randy: great idea for your switch control.

Grant: thanks for sharing the progress of the group. Even though there are some 1:1 priorities in life I am sure the group will be running trains by the end of your summer ...

Tom M.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  3:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant & Randy....we are fortunate to have members like you guys!
Great inovation on both parts! Thanks for sharing!!!

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  03:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Geezer for the compliment. Just having fun with trains.
Off to Fly Fishing Camp in the morning so I'll check back in next weekend.

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

Edited by - slatecreeklogger on 07/12/2009 02:10:34 AM

OregonOn30
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  12:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Randy,

I like your throw rod set-up and will give it a shot on my new modules. I think I'll see if I can find some small cabinet knobs at Lowes threaded to the correct size. I'll let you know if I come up with any questions! Hope camp was fun.

Rick

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  3:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

Grant & Randy....we are fortunate to have members like you guys!
Great inovation on both parts! Thanks for sharing!!!

Hiya, Geezer!

Don't know why I didn't notice your comment earlier (blame it on the meds ... that's what I do ... ...!), but allow me to echo Randy's Thanks! for the compliments ... and completely agree with his assessment that we are "Just having fun with trains" ...! Couldn't have said it better, myself!

CHEERS!

Grant

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  02:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,
I see your typing is improving, is that left hand starting to come around? From your post you seem to be thinking about doing a little modeling. Hope your back at the bench soon my friend.

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  05:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Randy
A very nicely throughout turnout control. I sure wold be willing to bet your system shows up on a number of layouts in the near future.
Peter
BCT

OregonOn30
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  11:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Randy

Thanks for the compliment on my typing. Actually, I just seem to be developing a One-handed tpying system, as my messages were looking like a 2nd grader wrote them. Unfortunately, the left side is only slightly improved since the stroke, but I am working on it. Thanks for asking.

Rick

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  05:33:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! Has it really been 2 months since anything was posted here ... ...? I remember some of the guys on the California Central Coast Group telling me that they pretty much shut down for the summer, as virtually nothing gets done for all the obvious reasons, but I didn't think it would happen to our little Group, especially as new as it is. So much for optimism ... ...! At least we managed to still meet twice a month, even though no progress was made on our modules (with the exception of Randy, who has his mods at home!).

So, we met again last Thursday ... and a couple of us had all good intentions of getting some progress made on Conner's modules (he's been gone most of the Summer, vacationing with his parents) ... we even had them all pulled out & assembled. But as the rest of the Group showed up, we all realized that he was sort of headed in the wrong direction, so work was stopped before anything irreversible happened! A couple of key decisions were made, then we all sat down for a good, long bull session! Yep, no real progress that night, either ... ...

Be that as it may, and believe it or not, I've actually made a little progress on my modules in the last few days ... not much, mind you ... but every day I'm feeling better and better, and more like "working on the railroad"!

When last I posted in the "Lounge" about any progress, it was just a short note that I'd gotten the endplates and one facia on one of my mods. I had no idea what a tedious task that would be, but maybe it just seemed that way, what with all I was dealing with? So ... over the last few days & nights, I've managed to get the endplates on the other "wing" module and all facia plates for the two installed!

So, now ... the next step will be to attach the endplates and back facia to the corner module ... I'll be holding off on the front facia(s), as I'm considering putting some sculpted foam and rock castings there to give that piece a completely different feel & look (we'll see ...). Once that's done, then I can finally lay some track, wire it, and run some trains on 'em ... ...! Let's jut hope it doesn't take another two months for me or Randy to post another update ... ...!

Thanks for looking! Comments are always welcome!

CHEERS!

Grant

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  3:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grant -

Good to hear that you are chugging along. CCC is just rev'ing up again. Labor Day weekend was our wake-up session. It's probably the smallest setup we do but it has the best setting. Our next gig is GTE in San Jose. When the time is right, CN&C has a standing invite to join up with us. The GTE gigs are good in the sense that we have ample space to do pretty much any setup we can imagine. It would be fairly easy to fold you guys in.

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: What to do with it all Topic Next Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000