Railroad Line Forums - The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: C430 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cardigan Bay Coastal Railroad..part 2... Topic Next Topic: Broadway Limited 2-8-0 in On30
Page: of 14

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  06:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, Thursday night, 5/7, we had a Group meeting & work session ... and actually got a lot accomplished ... ...! (Not that we usually don't, but it is nice to see some obvious progress ... ...)

I've been steadily working on my corner modules, adding & carving foam, so I guess that inspired Ross to put his mods together for some preliminary mock-up & track planning ...

(Randy's helping him work out some ideas ..)

... and then Conner decided to bust out his mods for some mock-up & track planning ...

(with Corey offering some valuable suggestions ...)

This all gave us a better idea and "feel" for the actual & overall size of the basic layout ... as it stands right now, the loop will be 14' wide and 18' long, with provisions for additional modules being plugged in at three different points. If we get a couple of more members (or, if any of us decide to build a couple of more modules, each ... ...) we'll simply extend the width or the length, as available space allows.

During some spare time Friday, I cut & fit some foam to give a portion of Ross' modules some elevation (with more to come), and I finished carving the grade on my left wing module (waiting on track & switches to arrive so I can lay out the siding and limestone tipple spur on my right wing).

Randy's been working on his mods at home, and has all the track laid on his 2x4 units ... at least, that what he says! Since he's committed to show 'em at a local model train show first weekend of June, I guess that's when we'll all find out for sure ... ...!

So, slowly but surely, it's starting to look like a railroad ... ...! Thanks for looking! As always, comments & questions are welcome! 'Til next time, then ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  07:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's great to see several people being able to share the hobby together Grant! Your benchwork looks excellent.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  08:13:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant - How tall did you make the legs for your modules? If you posted this
info earlier - sorry I missed it. Foggy head this morning....
Great lQQkin modules BTW!!!

Edited by - Geezer on 05/09/2009 08:13:51 AM

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  08:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant ..... looks like an active group, keep them going as we are enjoying

Tom M.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  09:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,
Looks like great progress, now you just have to find some one in the group to step up and scenic a module to set the bar higher for the rest of the group. The deadline of a show always helped the group I was in move faster.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  04:14:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! ...

... for the encouraging & supportive words, Guys ... very much appreciated! We're having a ball (or, can you tell ... ...?) ...!

Geezer - right now, the legs are 45", putting the top of the foam very close to 47" ... with the adjustable feet installed, the target height is 48" at the top of the rails on all common joints. I think I'm gonna have to cut off another 1/2" to get the ideal adjustability to hook up with other Groups' modules, but we'll just wait & see (it'll be an easy fix if I hafta ...).

'Til next time ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  08:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Grant....I am trying to get some kind of benchmark to
start from. I bought some adjustable feet also - 0 to about 1 1/2.
I will be glad to get started....Thanks again.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  10:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant,

I have been following your build. I have a few questions however I'll give you and the boys a chance to further along and your descriptions of what you are doing may answer them.

Keep up the interesting post ...

Tom M.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  2:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant:

Any new progress .... any new thoughts or ideas or changes in construction and materials you might consider on the next module?

Tom M.

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  03:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Tom!

No real new progress ... though I tried to post some pics of Randy's modules last night, but the Forum wouldn't take any more after the ones I posted to the Lounge. Anyway, I'm out of town for a couple of days to have my back looked at by the Spine Care Center in Daily City (south of San Francisco), then we have our regular meeting Thursday night.

I've been held up waiting for track & switches that were ordered a week ago last Thursday (and only had to come 160 miles ... ...!), this so I can do the final track & switch positioning before cutting the grades into the foam on the right hand module. I did manage to cut some foam today, however.

Right now, I think the only thing I'd do differently on my next modules is to remember where the leg pockets go so I don't cut lightening holes where the pockets need to be ... ... I'm pretty happy with them, so far! But, we haven't had a real acid test, yet, where we bolt everything together and (try to) run some trains. We got some real positive feedback from the experienced guys at the Great Barn Meet this last Saturday, so I'm reasonably confident that only minor changes (if any) will need to be made.

The Forum still isn't letting me add those pics of Randy's Modules (that, or I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what ... ...!), so I'll try again after the meeting on Thursday. 'Til later, then ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  09:35:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant - try reducing the size of the image .....

Looking forward to hearing your prognosis is good for the back.

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  8:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Grant!

Just joined the forum. I'll be lurking here keeping tabs on the group's progress.

When the time is right, we'll have to see about attaching a CCC module to the CN&C modules to see if they play nice.

-John Roth

California Central Coast Modular On30

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  7:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think this would look good running around the modules.

-John

Edited by - kewlbrew on 05/22/2009 7:49:49 PM

slatecreeklogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  10:39:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Greetings,
This is my first post on this forum so hope I do it right. I'm also one of the members of the California Northern & Cascade group in Redding CA. Grant Whipp has been posting our progress as I'm sure you all are aware of.
I have a quick question for anyone who has had experience with insulated rail joiners. Which type works the best for code 100 Peco track? I see that Peco has them but was curious as to their function. Are there other brands that might be a better choice?
We are going to insulate between our modules like the California Central Coast does and would like some input.
Thanks and take care,
Randy Rouse

Bentspike Railroad Co.
Redding, CA

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/23/2009 :  03:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Randy!

The CCC uses whatever we can pickup at the hobby shop (eg. bubble packs of Atlas HO insulated joiners). We haven't had any issues with the insulated joining modules.

One other tip re rail joiners - get LOTS. Metal and insulated will wear out, get lost, etc. You'll use at least a few new ones at each setup. Loose metal joiners where the modules come together is our biggest power pickup annoyance.

-John

California Central Coast
www.ccc-on30.org

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Cardigan Bay Coastal Railroad..part 2... Topic Next Topic: Broadway Limited 2-8-0 in On30  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000