Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 232 ]  [ Total: 235 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: 65 ton Whitcomb in H0 scale from Piko
Page: of 19

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2020 :  11:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kelly, Very nice tank car! You know you can Preview the post before you send it.
Hey, you are lightyears ahead of a lot of folks that have never figured out how to post a picture here.

What CAD program are you using for your 3D work? Very clean looking. It looks like a Resin printer?

Jim

Take the red pill

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  09:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After way to many months of work I finally finished my Drovers Caboose and am awaiting judging which most likely won't be until at least this fall. So now my thoughts have turned to a Mathers Stock Car that I plan on building next. I would appreciate knowing from anybody who has built any type of a stock car what was the thickness of the horizontal boards you used on the sides of the stock car. My guess is that they are 1" thick.

thanks
Joe in Orlando

krussl
New Hire

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  10:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Kelly, Very nice tank car! You know you can Preview the post before you send it.
Hey, you are lightyears ahead of a lot of folks that have never figured out how to post a picture here.

What CAD program are you using for your 3D work? Very clean looking. It looks like a Resin printer?

Jim

Cad Program was Openscad , and yes SLA Printer

Kelly Russell

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2020 :  1:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

Glad to see youre making progress.

I looked at plans for a Big Four palace stock car (1896) and most of the sheathing was 7/8 thickness for boards on the lower half of the sides, and for ends and roof; 1 1/4 for boards on the upper half of the sides. Floorboards were 1 3/4.

When was the prototype of your car built? Are you going to use wood or styrene?

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 06/09/2020 1:02:11 PM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  09:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I almost forgot to post on this thread. Here is the Lehigh Valley Ice Service Car I built in HO Scale. It is built from styrene. I bent all of my own grab irons, uncoupling levers, brake lines, etc. I did use commercial parts for the brake system, ladders, hinges, door hardware, trucks and ladders.

I found plans for the car in the January 1966 issue of Model Railroader. But, I drew my own plans for this project. Drawing the plans helps me determine how the car will be built as I draw the plans. It is a tedious process but it works for me.

Today, I prepared the paperwork for whenever I can have people evaluate the car. I am in no hurry, though. I have two more cars to build that will be evaluated, too. They are my next projects.

Chuck

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  09:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike H
Sorry I forgot to answer your questions of earlier this month. The build date on the kit is 4-53. And I think for "conformity" I will use Northeastern Scale Lumber pieces to build the Mather Stock Car.

Joe in Orlando

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  09:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck, nice looking car. Do you recall about how long it took you to build the Lehigh car? My first two cars have taken, seemingly to me, why why to much time.

Joe in Orlando

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  10:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I started construction of the car on May 11. Just over five weeks, Joe. But, I spent a week or two prior to that making drawings.

Chuck

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  12:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe-SVL

Mike H
Sorry I forgot to answer your questions of earlier this month. The build date on the kit is 4-53. And I think for "conformity" I will use Northeastern Scale Lumber pieces to build the Mather Stock Car.

Joe in Orlando

Joe,

For some reason I thought your car would be much older. Im not sure how much of my information applies to your project.

Mike

krussl
New Hire

Posted - 06/19/2020 :  1:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe-SVL

Chuck, nice looking car. Do you recall about how long it took you to build the Lehigh car? My first two cars have taken, seemingly to me, why why to much time.

Joe in Orlando

I agree - scratch building takes a lot of time - my tank car was over 60 hours and the current "Speedy Poultry" car is running 20+ and is not even 1/3 complete. Maybe that is an indicator of my skill level or maybe I am making too much of the details... the last road on the journey to MMR is daunting to me.

Kelly Russell

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  7:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finally finished the next car for the Achievement Program. This is the Lehigh Valley "Wrong Way" boxcar, named because the door opens to the left instead of the normal right. This car had a Duryea underframe and a steel end. Everything was scratchbuilt except for the brake fixtures, trucks, door hardware, and couplers. Lots of rivet decals!!! I also created the artwork for the road decals, except for the black diamond.

I have one more car I need to build for evaluation purposes....assuming the first three make merit. But it won't be a complete scratchbuild. I am starting from a kit and will scratchbuild some elements of it.

Chuck

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  8:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That should get a merit award.

George

Fly Army

Joe-SVL
Section Hand

Posted - 10/03/2020 :  7:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe-SVL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just restarted (for the 2-nd time) working on my scratch built Mathers stock car. My approach was to exactly duplicate a Proto 2000 Mathers stock car which I purchased last fall by making detailed measurements all over the car. Some measurements I had to make from an enlarged close up color photo of the car because I did not have good access with my dial calipers. Other measurements I made directly from the car. However when I derived the thickness of the floor boards I came out with a prototype thickness of 13.5 inches. Fortunately I happened to notice a note on the Proto 2000 box that the car weight was embedded between the top and bottom layers of the floor. Interestingly my Proto 2000 car had relatively consistent widths for the boards on the sides of the car but several of the gaps varied.

Now I have a quandary. 1) Do I make a presumption that the floor thickness might be 2-inches and then measure down 2 scale inches from the floor height as seen in the door of the car and place the bottom edge of the side sill at that location. or 2) continue on with making an exact duplicate of the Proto 2000 car which means some measurements would be would not be prototypical.

thanks
Joe in Orlando

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2020 :  8:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe,

I hate to see the conflict between needing it to be evaluated for merit and needing for it to run reliably. The idler car I built earlier this year has no weight in it. I plan to disguise weights on its deck when it is in operation. The other thing I could to the idler car do is glue weight to the underside after it is evaluated. But, after spending all that time detailing the underside, I really don't want to do that.

Is there any way that you can build the car so the roof or body can be removed to add the weight inside, after it is evaluated?

Chuck

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2020 :  9:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If I understand your question, you want to do number 1.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Out of the salvage yard..... Topic Next Topic: 65 ton Whitcomb in H0 scale from Piko  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000