Railroad Line Forums - NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 NMRA AP Structures Certificate "Support" Thread
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop
Page: of 10

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  08:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One to go! You’ve accomplished quite a bit, Mike. Keep us posted on your progress toward your Model Railroad Engineer- Civil certificate.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  09:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by runner

I ordered some "Fast Tracks" materials so I can get started on the Model Railroad Engineer- Civil certificate. That will be the required seven I need. Any ideas on helping attain this last one would be appreciated. I'm sure there are plenty already on this forum.

Mike, here is the link to the Civil Engineering support thread here on the RR-L Forums.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24798

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  11:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I saw your request for recommendations for the Civil Engineer AP on the Structures forum. My experience has been that the hardest part for this is meeting the Merit Award judging for the 3 hand laid track components. I had already constructed a turnout and crossover on a segment of my layout, so for those two I just added some details like a switch motor and hand spiked every tie. One of the judges felt that was a minumum requirement for the Merit judging. For the third piece I constructed a 90 degree crossover on a piece of plywood with leads long enough to place a switcher on it. The leads were connected to a power pack to demonstrate the operation.

Your almost there! With what you achieved already, this one is easy. You may be interested to know the NMRA is simplifying the paperwork for the Achievement Programs. The Record and Validation Forms are being deleted. Only the Statement of Qualifications Form will be followed. It should be announced soon, but check with your Division/Region AP coordinator. Good luck.

Chuck Davis
MMR #425
http://members.cox.net/mylvrr

Chuck Davis
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  11:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck Davis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry Dutchman,

I thought I was still on the Civil Engineering support thread when I posted my comments.

Chuck

Mike157
New Hire

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  08:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys. Let me toss this out for your input.

In the "Structures" instructions, Part 1.D. Comment Area. it states; "Including some sort of 'scene within a scene' is a good way to catch the judges' eye. Adding detail to your structures will not only meet this part of the requirements, but will also add to your score, and to the overall appeal of your model."

I'm thinking the Judge does not want a diorama but rather the structure standing alone. What are your suggestions to a scene within a scene?

Mike in NY

Mike

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  9:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, a scene within a scene could show figures doing something inside the structure, for example. Not necessarily a diorama. It could also be the way details are arranged. For example, I have a bucket sitting underneith a faucet plugged into an oil drum, a cinder block holding a door open for ventilation, etc. within a structure I recently built.

Chuck

Mike157
New Hire

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  06:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chuck,
I'm new to this and will be starting on the NMRA Structure path soon. BTW This area (around Rochester, NY) is big on the Lehigh Valley Railroad (LVRR). If you're ever up our way, stop into the New York Museum of Transportation just south of us. Nice stuff. And with the effect of many of your buildings, I'd suggest a railfan trip to Corning, NY. Corning Glass Museum is one of the hottest attractions around - but - lots of rail yards as well. And - the Main Street of downtown Corning is a photo gem for structures like you're modeling.

Mike (N Trak)

Mike

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  08:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I actually lived in Corning for two years....within walking distance to the Glass Works and downtown. I have good memories of this pretty town.

Chuck

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2014 :  1:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been discussing where I stand with the Structures certificate, and learned something which isn't explicit anywhere in the NMRA documents I've read to date: Partial structures won't be considered for the AP: flats, buildings cut off where they meet the backdrop, buildings with blank or incomplete hidden walls etc.

Edited by - jbvb on 03/16/2014 1:18:37 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  3:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've just started on the Structures SOQ. Does anyone know whether signals are accepted as 'Structures'? I scratchbuilt a US&S 'Style DW' wigwag for my Rowley module, and if it's likely to be accepted as a structure, I will write it up:

http://www.faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/index.html#wigwag

I am putting off asking my AP chair as he's been so busy with our spring show that it took a month for him to review my Dispatcher paperwork.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  11:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

I've sent an inquiry to the PNR AP Chairman to see what he says....

Al Carter

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  12:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

I sent you a PM....

Al Carter

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Enginehouse for Horace and William Creek Topic Next Topic: great interior photo of a machine shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000