Railroad Line Forums - Let's see some of your Non-RR Photos! Pt 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Let's see some of your Non-RR Photos! Pt 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: White Pass & Yukon photo advice Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: June 18 Rolling Stock
Page: of 47

leighant
New Hire

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  11:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pictures on the moon (make believe) part III

Our location for long shots on the lunar surface was a field between Taft and Gregory, Texas, where a gas well blowout around 1930 had spewed stuff for some six months or so and covered an area several acres with sterile detritis and made a cone and crater some 30 or 40 feet high.

There was no easy way to black out the blue sky, so most of these long shots on location had to be taken from a high angle looking down so the horizon did not show. (Example captured from video screen)

These were taken with the camera up on a rented 9-foot ladder carried to the location on a ski-rack mounted on the roof my Pinto.

Closer shots that showed the actors' heads against the lunar horizon and black space sky were taken on the "back lot," in this case the grassy field behind a church. A background like a billboard was erected and shielded to keep off direct sunlight so it would photo as straight black-- rather than as black-painted board. Working on "back lot" allowed access to power for AC-powered sound-film camera, and indoor dressing rooms. "Astronauts" not wearing moon boots since feet wouldn't show, and microphone cords could run up pants legs.

A ground row was placed between actors and black background, placed to catch the sun. The ground row was 3 feet high and 8 feet long, built much like model railroad scenery in forced persepctive, almost flat up and down meant to be seen only from front, but with enough contour to catch some light effects. This is what camera saw. (Poor still captured from video screen)

Okay, that's all the moon movie stuff. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Non-RR Photo forum programming.

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  12:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1995, Hohenfels Germany. My Tank Commander had to go home on emergency leave and we didn't have a loader so it was just me and my driver. This day our platoon was attacking a position across an open field, moving as fast as we could go. The snow was about two feet deep. I was engaging dug in 'Enemy' tanks with MILES (Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System .. acting both as Tank Commander and Gunner .. think GIANT Laser Tag) when I noticed that there were cat tails sticking out of the snow. I told my driver .. "THAT'S A POND!" .. "Go right .. skirt the trees" .. and continued to engage the 'enemy'. My driver *found* another pond. Notice the people and the M88A1 is on a road. That's me in the middle.

Edited by - eTraxx on 02/05/2011 12:06:20 PM

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  6:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some images from this weekend. All were taken in Eastern Tennessee.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  7:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan - you pictures blow me away!

Elliott

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  7:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like that first barn, nice details and lines.

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  7:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of Italy shots (Bologna):

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  3:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A product of our local never ending winter. Close up of icicles on a small tree branch outside a lower floor window:

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  03:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got myself a new lens this arvo and went out for a bit of shooting. Kind of nice to be back behind the digital for a change since i have been using 35mm Film the last month.
Anyway here is two using my new canon60d and 70-200 F4 lens.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  12:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G'day Adrian,

You have some nice shots there. Your Flikr page is interesting, too.

Monochrome is so crisp and clear, when it is used with effective lighting.

How do you find the supply of 35mm film these days?

I haven't used my old Pentax SLR for a year or more since I found that the processing labs were mostly all shutting down.

I had to bite the bullet and join the move to digital as well. Maybe one day, I will be able to afford a DSLR......

Time is the Gauge of Existence

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  2:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi blokes,

These two pix are of an old timber paling fence just outside my doctor's surgery.

No photo-shopping of any sort here, just distinctive weathering around a random knot hole....

Now, tell me that wood sprites do not exist......

Time is the Gauge of Existence

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  3:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I set out to take some photos of the "super moon" on the 19th. While waiting for the sun to set, I took some shots of the sunset reflecting off city buildings:

Got the moon, but nothing special:

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  5:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice moon shot, Bob! I was tempted to go out and howl at that moon myself :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  11:51:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was up at my cabin in PA and as per usual snapped a few pics while there...

Hey! My tractor shed is still standing!!!

And, 2 weeks ago in San Diego

To act in the world is the only way to understand it. In this life it is given only to God and his angels and poets to be lookers-on.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  10:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For this Memorial Day, a shot from the US cemetery in Normandy:

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 05/30/2011 10:57:39 AM

piks
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/30/2011 :  1:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

..."Off we go, into the wild blue yonder..."

Some times "Thanks to all you Veterans"... just doesn't seem enough.

Edited by - piks on 05/30/2011 1:53:50 PM

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: White Pass & Yukon photo advice Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: June 18 Rolling Stock  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000