Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  05:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carlo, the tall one is approx. 30cm or 12" the smaller one 25cm or 10".
You're oak looks very nice too!

Håkan

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  07:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Hakan for the information and for the compliments!

Greetings

Carlo

Marshall61
New Hire

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  07:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marshall61

Many thanks Hakan, for the information and for the compliments!

Greetings

Carlo

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  1:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice trees, Håkan.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  12:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic,
not anywhere close to Jos masterpieces but hopefully improving.
I'm not even sure what species my trees are
Now I must find a easy way to make fine sawdust.

Håkan

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  2:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That are some fine looking trees Hakan ! For MDF sawdust just visit a local carpenter / cabinetmaker such guys have plenty....at least I do..

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  4:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Martin,
you're pine tree look great with that airy look I'm working to get!
I hadn't thought to check a carpenter. I'll see if I can find one in the yellow pages.
Previously I have used masonite sawdust from a sabre saw with a fine tooth blade. Not very efficient way of making sawdust I guess.

Håkan

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  4:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hallo Hakan,

Try, if you can get/borrow ,this kind of tool!
http://www.onlinebouwmarkt.nl/winkel/images/uploads/Makita%20bandschuurmachine.jpg
use a mask because the MDF sawdust is not that healthy!!
I bouht very cheap some left overs...about 18-22 mm thickness
I used rough sandingpaper.

Good luck!

Jos

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  5:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the tip Jos.
the tree building begun yesterday to stop almost immediately due to that I ran out of sprayglue. Below is a picture of the attempt. I managed to add the first fibers but the glue ran out before I had applied the grass fibers. I think I somehow got too many branches on the tree. Also I think I have to little fibers. Critique would be helpful. The upper half is with the wire method but I think I'll try making a tree with the whole trunk in wood and only apply wire branches. It was difficult hiding the transition but I guess it will be hidden by the foliage. The tree is approx. 70cm long.

Thanks,
Håkan

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  04:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Hakan,

quote:
I think I somehow got too many branches on the tree. Also I think I have to little fibers.

Well...I don't think too many branches and to little fibers!!!
But you have to remember adding : some 6 mm-....
and the smaller 2 mm grassfibers....
plus the fine turf....
So do experiment with these materials....
It will surprise you how fast the tree will be filled with the green foliage!!!
I think the number/amount of branches is enough....but the added fibers could be less because of the grassfibers( 6 and 2 mm) you have to add too.
Also squeeze horizontaly(?)/flat(?)the added filterfibers first before adding the grassfibers
The branches with the fibers will look like a kind of patches...just like in real( abies/Picea)

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 03/01/2012 04:14:34 AM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  3:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Jos for your input!
to be continued......when the sprayglue arrives in the mail.

Håkan

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  5:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hope this "example"shows you the "patches"of branches and twigs with the foliage of this picea

the last ones are about +35 cm=14-15 inches

Jos

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  5:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking trees! Thank you Jos, I see what you mean. Flattening the fibres makes the patches. I looked at the Sequia you made but that looks a bit more "fluffier"(I could not find a better word for it). Did you flatten the fibers also on that?

I have searched on the internet for pictures of Sequias but only find pictures of big known ones and European park examples. The Sequias pictures I have found from the American national parks looks a bit disheveled. Seems like the older tree the more scruffier canopy. Disease attacks, lightning perhaps. I guess I have to try to make some trees with that look also.

European

Park tree

Here are both nice looking trees and more disheveled.

Håkan

Rardshell
New Hire

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  01:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings to all, especially Jos... Some very fine work is being done here.

Jos, have you gotten around to acquiring an O scale "Preisser" yet? If not, I have an idea that would work for any scale. Take a digital photograph of a person and scale it using your favorite photo editing program so that the printed photo gives the proper scale height of the person. Then cut out the print, glue a wire behind to stick in the ground, and voila! you have your scale person! Of course if you photograph this flat person from an angle it will look like they are going on a diet, so make sure the person is facing the camera. You can place anybody you have a photo of into your scenery, including yourself!

I have a couple of tree armatures that I had started, oh, maybe seven and two years ago, each made from twisted wires salvaged from construction sites (I'm a "commercial carpenter") but have never gotten around to adding foliage. The basic issues I have had are 1. I'm working in S scale (3/16" = 1' ; or 1/64 scale) and don't like the look of "ground foam" for leaves. I think it's ok for smaller scales: HO, N, but not for larger scales. Especially when 2. I'm modeling southeastern Ohio, where the vast majority of trees are diciduous with very few pines mixed in. While the smaller ground foam and the "grass" would make decent pine needles in S, they don't make good "leaves." Oh, yes, then there is 3. I'm working on a verrrrry limited budget. Due to the exceedingly splendid economy since our latese excuse of a president took office, I have been out of work for months, so there is no such thing as a hobby budget. If I can't scrounge it, it doesn't get gotten, so I'm not going out and buying WS or Noch, or anything that costs much cash. It is fortunate that I have in the house a source of foliage fibers of similar texture to the blue aquarium filter medium: our Collie. He can easily provide enough material each week to make one or two trees!

A few years ago I had a sizable project that produced several 5 gallon buckets of sawdust from (mostly) MDF, so I have that as a potential source for "leaves." Some has been sifted, and I think the larger size of sifting would make decent S leaves. I'm wondering how to color it, though. Should I use a dye? thinned latex paint? (I doubt it) fabric paint? thinned oil base paint? pickle it with vinegar and crushed grass clippings?

I think that, from what I have seen on this forum, I would like to get these two trees progressing toward finish. I don't have a layout, and may not have one anytime soon, but as long as I have two half-made-trees sitting around, I may as well finish them!

Darrell Smith

building 1885 from scratch in S scale

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  06:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone yet come up with something like the fibers here in the USA that have been used successfully?

Angela

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000