Railroad Line Forums - treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad
Page: of 47

MT Hopper
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  10:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am amazed at the better than reality quality of your tree modelling. Well done sir.
I wonder if you have ever modelled any palm trees such as Roystonea regia or indeed any palm trees ?

Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
Will

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  3:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Will!
About modelling palms:
They don't grow overhere so it is quite difficult to transfer them in HO scale or even smaller in N scale! Also the texture/structure of the plants is something I do want to see /feel before "shrinking"these kind of, in this case, tropic plants in to a smaller scale...
BUT making HO or N palms or any other sub tropical/tropical plants will be something for the future ...for shure!!!
So all considering: I think it was/is easier to start with the easy ones!;-)

Jos

MT Hopper
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  3:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your response grove den. I can hardly imagine what kind of palms you could produce.

Cheers from the Heart of the ContinentWill

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  08:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made some pictures when making a (HO)firtree
You need:
patience and time( at first)
Firtreeframe
sprayglue
tweezer
fine teasieve
small brush and some terpintin
6 mm grassfibers darkgreen
2 mm grassfibers darkgreen
fine turf - weeds- from WS
spray paint, very darkgrren or brown/black

step 1
Adding the first "layer" of 6 mm grassfibers dark green.
I spray the tree before adding each layer with some sprayglue. I try to spray only the branches and to stay away from the trunk, specialy the lower part(s).

As you can see this "layer"is almost invisable... but it's a start !

Second layer of the 6 mm grassfibers:
the tree on the left of course.....

Now comes a tweezer in action: just squeeze the fibers gently together against the branches...specialy the parts close to the trunk.
Try to press down the fibers that were glueud straight up with the flat back of the tweezer( or any other flat-small smooth object)
If the tweezer will stick to the fibers just dip iti n terpintin .Attantion: not to much because the glue will solve and the fibers will lose from the branches...

and the third layer of 6 mm grassfibers

Added the 2 mm grassfibers and again used the tweezer to "modell" the branches with the fibers....

When satisfied with the result: spray the tree in a darkgreen color.
To immitate the "dead" branches on the base of the trunk I spray some dust color on the lower branches from under the tree.

Now comes the nicest part: adding the fine turf- weeds- .
I use a (tea)sieve to add only the very fine particals of the turf.
Of course first a litlle bit of sprayglue....

Also in N scale they look natural...!

Hope it makes the whole process a litlle bit more clear????

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 02/04/2011 08:57:17 AM

matts
New Hire

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  11:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jos, you've inspired me a lot in your posts. I've read through your descriptions several times and I've started to try this myself. Thanks for your patience and willingness to share your work. You must be tired of repeating your descriptions again and again...

I wonder if I can bother you with some more questions?

If so: I can make the treeframe quite nicely, with sawdust and everything. (I've started to study trees in reality and I appreciate their beauty in a new way. I like the way you refer to trees as persons, "he")

I wonder if you could show some close-up pictures of the color of the trunk of Pine, Birch and Fir-trees?

My joy would be complete if you could make the same kind of tutorial as the Fir-tree description above, with Birch and Pine trees. (HO)

My problem now is how to make the aqua/Scotch-brite - fiber and the Grass-fiber to look nice. (I'm stuck with it looking as large bird-nests...)

Some pictures showing these steps in the process would be really helpful (in earlier posts I think your pictures of this have been taken away)

One last question: What kind of spray-glue do you use? When checking it turns out there are a lot of different kinds...

Thanks again

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  6:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Matts,

quote:
wonder if you could show some close-up pictures of the color of the trunk of Pine, Birch and Fir-trees?

I use one kind of "basic"color for almost all my trees...It is made of cheap latexwallpaint .
Today it is very easy to mix/to get the right color: go to a shop where they sell paint and they'll (mostly) can mix the paint by computer. To me it is even more difficult than for 20 years: now it is possible to chose the right color out of 30 darkgrey/brownish colors! pffff
Overhere the climat/weather is not that dry as in most places in the US...here the trees are covered with all kind algue etc so they turn to (dark)grey and when the weather is very wett/ moisture is high the trunks chanches into (light)green...
So it depends on what area/place/state you want to modell: The north west: Washington or Oregon, or more to the south and dryer,Nevada Californie?
here are some pictures of some modellpine trees, scotch pinetrees and a birch.
Basicly all the bases of the trunks, doesn't matter what kind of tree, will get some "basic"darkgrey brown cheap latexwallpaint!
the Abies pinetrees:

a birch tree:
The "rough"surface of the bark is a thin layer of fine turf from Woodland Scenics, color: earth.Added with some deluted whiteglue with a drop(sss) of detergent.The frame of the birch was dipped in a bucket with the darkgrey/brown wallpaint. When dry I painted again the trunk with a kind of Ivory/white wallpaint. The BASE of the trunk was DRYBRUSHED with the same ivory/white wallpaint. So very less/small amounts of paint on the brush!

the frames of the scotchpinetrees are all painted first in a red/brown brickcolor( again cheap latexwalpaint!)
On the base of the trunk a thin layer of fine turf color earth.Of course I added this before coloring the frame.....
When all was dry I painted the base of the scotchpine witn the dark grey/brownish wall paint. The transition from red/brown to grey was smoothed with some waterand a brush...

Here a scotchpine tree that is standing alone and was left to the elements of nature/weather......

About the other tutorials I'm working on that= collecting and resizing pictures etc etc...

I use BISON sprayglue...ithas a very fine spray so no "drops'of glue on the branches/fibers...

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 02/12/2011 07:43:37 AM

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  7:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanx Jos for the explanation, are you visiting OnTrax this year??

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

matts
New Hire

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  3:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot, Jos!

Exactly what I need to continue learning this.

I'm in Sweden so the roadmodels for the trees I'm trying to make will definitely be more on the moist side.

/Matts

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  09:03:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Matts,

Ever considered to look "Google Maps"?
Sweden is a beautiful country and you can watch the color of the trunks of the trees very easy : just use/click on the "orange man"symbol and you can drive and watch the landscape as driving through your country in a cabrio!!
The pictures are very detailed!!!

Jos

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  3:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am here in New Zealand, my homeland, visiting my father who is not well. While I'm here I was thinking that I'll check out the aquarium fibers that they have here and see if I can find anything like the ones that Jos posted photos of... I'll let you know.

Jos, love the trees and the little photo tutorial too. thank you.

Angela

matts
New Hire

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  04:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the Google Maps tip. Very nice.

Also the pictures are from the summer. Nice when it's -25C outside...

/Matts

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  2:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Angela!
Hope your father is going to be well again soon!?

Jos

angelanzus
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  01:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotchpine

Thank you Angela!
Hope your father is going to be well again soon!?

Jos

Thank you Jos.

Angela

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  07:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
]

Made a small 0 scale firtree.
To compare the tree with the H0 trees I put a H0 preiserman under the tree

Also a biiiiig oak in O scale( maybe I?)

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 09/14/2011 03:51:13 AM

scotchpine
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/27/2011 :  09:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just one shot without flash of one of the 0 scale trees...:

still don't have an 0 preiserman... (yet)

Jos

Edited by - scotchpine on 02/27/2011 09:54:10 AM

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000