Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 137 ]  [ Total: 144 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Lake Itasca Railway and Navigation Company
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress
Page: of 48

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  06:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Troels, thanks for the kind comment. If I only had 1:1 scale work and modelling projects to work at, everything would go much faster. But children take a lot of time...

Frédéric, the kids grow up all to fast... before you know it they are out of the house... enjoy their company while you can!

And the more I look at that new lower part, the more I like it... there's a little Furlowesque mood to it down there... it will be absolutely splendid with the water rushing down the cliff face! I must be careful not to get the mountain railroad bug....

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  06:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The changes you've made in the layout look great, the colors are outstanding.

Edited by - LynnB on 10/21/2010 06:31:59 AM

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  08:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great work, Frederic! I'm very interested in the way that you create boxed and shaped benchwork into individual modules.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  8:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Your scenery has always had that 'WOW' for me Frederic, its a real treat and education to watch it come together stage by stage. The seamless blending between new and old scenery is already working exceptionally well.

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  6:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the comments my friends.

Troels, you're right about the children, it's amazing that they are already 8 year old. You're right too about the mountain railroading bug, once you've started thinking of that it's hard to forget it. And indeed there's still a lot of room in your house for a few canyons. I can barely imagine the wonders an artist like you would do as a mountain painter.

A few pics of the current scenery.

Logging area :

Mining area :

On the last picture, I've applied some liquitex heavy gloss medium to see how it turns out. The photo is much better than the real thing. When the waterfall is done, almost all the medium will be hidden under the clear silicone sealant used to render the water, so this looked like the right area to test texture and gloss.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2010 :  7:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the first application of water. My silicon sealant tube suffered a major breakdown after only a few fillets, and that frustrated me a lot, so I undigged a tube of Woodland Scenics Water Effects which I had bought a long time ago and never opened since. Easy and rather clean to work with, but I'm waiting to see how it dries. According to WS, it dries clear in about 24 hours...

To be continued...

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  01:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simply beautiful! The richness of subtle color values in your rockwork is outstanding!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  06:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kirk

Simply beautiful! The richness of subtle color values in your rockwork is outstanding!

ditto

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  6:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Troels and Mario. You won't be surprised if I tell you that everything was painted with very few shades (white, payne grey, raw sienna, burnt umber and some hints of a shade of red which name I don't remember).

Well, the WS water should have dried clear in about 24 hours, but we're far from it (still a lot of white), and where it dried clear, it shrinked and lost a lot of the volume I had carved yesterday. I'll still wait for two more days, and then I think I'll come back to the translucent silicon sealant...

Meanwhile I've started cardboarding the future high cliffs above the track to the Alexandria Mill. Won't be lots of green pastures on these quasi-vertical rocks, but I plan to install a substantial snow shed to add interest to this place.

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 10/25/2010 6:50:57 PM

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  02:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not surprised Frédéric! It only takes a few selected earth tones to create infinite variations! The magic of color mixing!

The Liquitex extra heavy gloss gel doesn't shrink more than a couple of percent if you want seethrough stuff. Costs an arm and a leg though...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  5:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really nice coloration of the rocks, Frederick. And, of course, the entire scene is beautiful. I'm also glad to be able to follow your trials and tribulations with different falling water media the better to avoid things that don't work so well myself.

Vagel

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  6:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the ongoing interest, Troels and Vagel.

Well, I suppose the pictures below may not be very convincing, but I'm still unhappy with the look of the WS water effect, after 2 days of drying time. I have decided to leave it 72 hours to show its quality so it's not before tomorrow I'll resume working on the waterfall, but I have gathered a powerful troop of tools to beat the enemy : liquitex heavy gloss medium (I already had it, Troels, so the arm and leg have had time to push back...), extra glossy varnish, translucent silicon sealant and white and polar blue glossy paint.
That being said, I feel a bit worried since currently the waterfall looks much nicer on photos than in reality, and I wouldn't want to invert this after my heavy treatment...

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  6:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
I think this is the best model waterfall I've seen! Water is very realist,coloring is good on the rocks and the vegetation is nice and thick. Oh and neat bridge too.

It's only make-believe

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  1:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bob. I have been working again on the waterfall. It's still difficult to appreciate it since I simply think our human eye can't easily watch a waterfall that's not moving. But seen from some distance on the layout it looks OK and the pictures are pleasant, I think.

Preparing the place for cliffs on the other side of the mine.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  2:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fredric, your waterfall looks very realistic and convincing to me.
And I still think the painting of your rock work is some of the best I've ever seen.

Page: of 48 Previous Topic: Railmaster Exports Topic Next Topic: Outside Braced Caboose Progress  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000