Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Branch
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 64 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Branch
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic
Page: of 14

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  11:55:53 AM  Show Profile
Russ,
I like the track plan with the return loop a bunch and may have to borrow it for one end of my future ON30 layout.
Just thinking out load, if the return loop went down grade and under you could extend the two sidinds at the top. Possibly add a siding to the loop which would allow two tracks for off site staging. You could then have different trains exiting and entering the scene.
Larry

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  12:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Russ,
I like the track plan with the return loop a bunch and may have to borrow it for one end of my future ON30 layout.

Anything that I contribute here is for sharing with members. All I ask in return is a large coffee, milk no sugar.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  1:48:14 PM  Show Profile
Pretty nice thread here....I am jealous of the detail avaible to s gauge.
I wish there were more specific on30 stuff!

The Geezer

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  5:30:07 PM  Show Profile
You shouldn't be too jealous, Geezer. Sn3 terribly lacks affordable motive power and detail parts, even if this is improving with the development of Turner Model Works. There are excellent, reasonably priced cars by PBL, particularly if you love Colorado. The greatest quality of Sn3 is the scale itself : not too big neither too small, and the opportunity it offers the scratchbuilder to have lots of fun.

dougcoffey1950
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  9:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message
I know what you mean about watching Paul Scoles DVDs and S scale. The structures don't seem to large and the locos and rolling stock are about the same size as most HO. I started in HOn3 and switched to standard gauge for better operating locos and nice looking 36' trussrod rolling stock.
if I were starting over today, I'd choose Sn3.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  11:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

You shouldn't be too jealous, Geezer. Sn3 terribly lacks affordable motive power and detail parts, even if this is improving with the development of Turner Model Works. There are excellent, reasonably priced cars by PBL, particularly if you love Colorado. The greatest quality of Sn3 is the scale itself : not too big neither too small, and the opportunity it offers the scratchbuilder to have lots of fun.

You have that right, Frederic. Both S scale narrow gauge and standard gauge have yet to increase in popularity in a visible sense, although the scale itself is very attractive. The National Association of S Gaugers has another inside cover ad in this month's RMC advertising a variety of manufacturers that offer everything from steam to diesel to rolling stock. Part of the problem may be the association with 'American Flyer' equipment, especially when one sees out-sized flanges on truck wheels and contraption-looking couplers. What isn't realized is that gear can easily be replaced giving rolling stock and locos an excellent prototypical 'scale' appearance. In Sn3, there is a move by PBL to produce what they call a 'hybrid' loco made of styrene and cast metal as an affordable alternative to brass. Railmaster Hobbies has an excellent line of Sn3 steam locos, but you're looking at 500.00 per kit! Because no major manufacturer has taken on Sn3 the way that Bachmann has taken on On30 (Why not On3?) Sn3 still lags behind other scales in affordable motive power. I just talked to Keith Wiseman from Wiseman Model Services and he told me that he's going to be offering a line of detail parts soon. This is welcome news because of the need for parts for everything from rolling stock and locos to structures. Turner Model Works has the 'Finest Kind' parts line and I just ordered some details from Pat Turner for my little yard caboose. Think Sn3 is under supplied? Try trolleys and traction! There is enough available, though, to get a layout going with a roster of cars and a couple of small locos. My piece of motive power will be a Railmaster Sn3 Plymouth diesel switcher for under a couple of hundred bucks, but that's a semi-kit build with a seperate body and mechanism. Maybe if more layouts, model photos, and Sn3 news get into the mainstream magazines the scale will grow.

Russ

Edited by - slimrails on 01/24/2009 11:41:29 AM

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  12:59:27 PM  Show Profile
So... Now you have my curiosity tweaked.... I will be watching this thread to try
and learn all I can. My first question is what track is used? N gauge for narrow gauge & HO gauge for standard? I am lost.....And, I bet some of the S gauge details would look better on the On30 stock than the O gauge details.....

The Geezer

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  1:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Geezer, Sn3 is a 3 foot gauge in 1/64 scale (3 inches = 16 feet, so it's also called 3/16 scale and hence the 16th March is the S national day...). The proper gauge for Sn3 is accordingly 9/16", which amounts to about 14.2mm. It is much bigger than N scale and quite smaller than HO (using HO track would lead you to a plausible gauge of about 42", apparently not unusual in Australia or New Zealand for instance).
Shinohara and Tomalco sell flextrack in Sn3. Tomalco also has switches (stubs in code 55 and point in code 70). I don't remember if Shinohara also sells switches.
I think you're right : some S details would certainly work nicely for the smaller equipment one could find on On30 rolling stock.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  3:15:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Fredric!!! I think I got a partial grip on it. Maybe this spring, when I get moved in and settled, I could build a Sn3 diorama, just to test the waters. Thanks again for the guidance.

The Geezer

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  4:03:30 PM  Show Profile
I concur with Geezer, a small diorama is the way to go. Great way to break the modeling blues which set in every now and then as well as test new modeling skills.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  11:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Here's another couple of progress shots of my yard caboose. I have a smoke jack, stove, some tools, a chair, a crew, etc. on order that will complete it. Next step is decals and touch-up.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  11:51:04 AM  Show Profile
Very nice, Russ. It's a nice idea to add some interior details, since this open door is just too large to reveal nothing!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  12:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Really neat, Russ. I'm looking forward to seeing the final details.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2009 :  10:25:38 PM  Show Profile
Looking good, Russ. I like the color of the roof.

George

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  08:53:09 AM  Show Profile
Nice work!!! So, now I have to order another "scale" ruler! LOL!

The Geezer

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000