Railroad Line Forums - The Sn3 Branch
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The Sn3 Branch
 The Sn3 Branch
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic
Page: of 14

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  12:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
I posted these photos over on the Challenge Final Photos thread, but wanted to put them here, too. This is my Sn3 PBL reefer. The photos are supposed to be the really-final-completed-finished-that's-it-it's-done photos, but after I posted them I noticed that I didn't put the road initials and car numbers on the car ends! Oh, well.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  5:14:55 PM  Show Profile
I love this color scheme. I have had two of these reefer cars in their boxes for years, and they still wait for being built. I think that seeing your steady rythm might motivate me to build more than two or three cars a year... In any case, your model looks very nice, with all the great details PBL provide on their kits.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  10:23:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by k27rgs

I have arranged a meeting with a few of my mates, Barry Pate, Paul Dundas, Graham Meyer at the home of Bill Black on July 12th. I will update photos regarding his Sn3 layout. Spoke to Bill the other day and has been completing a number of kits.

regards

Mario

Here's an update

regards Mario

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_bill_black_2008.html

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  05:50:18 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the link, Mario. You're really a great provider of fine modelling images. There are some great wild scenes on this layout, and on the more "civilized" side, I particularly like the town and the great row of buildings.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  6:10:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Here's a couple of 'B' end shots of my gon...before the and after the dust 'n dirt treatment. The weathered look is one of the challenge final photos.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  6:43:19 PM  Show Profile
Very nice, Russ. The weathering of the boards and signs is beautiful.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  02:28:11 AM  Show Profile
Sweet!!!!!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  08:30:20 AM  Show Profile
Good looking gon, Russ. Nice weathering job did you use chalks?

George

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  08:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage
Russ
Looking real fine.
Peter

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  09:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Nice weathering job did you use chalks?

Thanks, Guys. George, I use Bragdon weathering powders...looks more like dirt.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  09:58:45 AM  Show Profile
The Bragdon powders seem to give texture to the dirt.

George

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  12:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by George D

The Bragdon powders seem to give texture to the dirt.

It does, doesn't it? I make sure there is a good flat overspray for the powder to settle into. I also wet a Q-tip and work it into the surface for added effects. This takes some care so as not to over do the dirty look because it'll start to look muddy. Here's a side view of the car.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  04:19:56 AM  Show Profile
I had the pleasure to receive my friend Alexander Zelkin and his wife at my home this weekend. Alex is a great Sn3 modeler whose work has been featured in many magazines, in particular with a long article in the 2008 Mining, Logging & Industrial Book of Finescale RR. Those who are interested can see some pictures of his layout on this page of my website :
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/testard.frederic/modelismeFerroviaire/zelkin/index.htm
Here is a pic of Alex (right) and myself (left) just in front of the Alexandria Mining Complex on my Sn3 layout.

This visit was the occasion for Alex to sell me some pieces of motive power he doesn't need on his own layout. The first engine is the PBL RGS work goose

The second one is a PBL D&RGW C18 steam engine. While the goose is running on DC, the C18 has been remotored and DCC'd, and Alex didn't know the decoder number. It didn't work with the standard #3, I tried the #319 (the number of the loco) unsuccessfully too. It's only after his departure that I had the idea of using #19 and then everything started to work beautifully.

Finally, the third engine is a Backwoods Miniatures 0-4-2 Porter custom built and digitized by Paul Dougherty. Despite some electrical contact problems, this one ran finely, and I think a thorough cleaning of the wheels (and maybe the addition of wipers) will make a fine runner of it. Paul built a tender which is not featured in the photo below and that I may change, more to add a personnal feature to the loco than for any other reason. The loco is very low, and adding the tender will allow the addition of properly heighted couplers, so that the loco can perform her duty...

Alex added to this series of machines the gift of two nice cars, a gondola and a water car, visible on this train, trailed by another of my recent acquisitions, a Railmaster C-16.

With such an improvement of my motive power, I'm now ready to restart the development of my Sn3 layout. This development - and in particular the modifications I brought to the plan to make it more user-friendly will be described in a new thread.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  08:03:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Just beautiful, Frederic! The RGS work goose was the first of the geese built and that'll make a great addition to your fleet. I'm considering the Backwoods Miniatures 0-4-0T myself, but would want a tender for it, too. Great photos of great Sn3 modeling!

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  08:17:47 AM  Show Profile
Frederic. Nice layout mate. Good to see what you look like and also nice to see my mate Alex....

Say Hi , next time you see him....

Thanks for your comments on other threads

regards

Mario

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Copyright Reminder Topic  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000