Railroad Line Forums - FOS - The Ludlow Building - O Scale Scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: JohnA ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 FOS - The Ludlow Building - O Scale Scratchbuild
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lous Star Diner Billboard Topic Next Topic: Finest Screen mesh I have ever seen
Page: of 6

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  11:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I started building this structure in the "Build a model in two months thread." P62
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21438&whichpage=62

So that I dont clog up that outstanding thread with this build I decided to start a new thread here. I will pick up at the point I am at now.

The original thread that details the siding process is here ...
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19925

The original thread for the window construction is here....
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18821&whichpage=2

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 06/14/2008 5:13:53 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  12:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is how I made the corbels and cornice for the top of the three story front wall of the structure.

I need to bring the subwall out to the same level as the clapboard. I cut a piece of card to size and then measured and marked the positions of the componants I would be making. I also cut some O scale 2x2's from a sheet of basswood.

I then constructed the raised details.

The next step was to glue 12 pieces of balsa together into a block with elmers yellow glue, these would be the 12 supports.

I drew the shape of the corbels onto one end of the block and rough carved it with my retractable knife.

I then finished off the shaping of the block with some sandpaper.

The block was then put into a cup of water to soften/disolve the glue and separate the 12 identical pieces. This took about three hours of soaking.

I then added caps to these supports by cutting strips from the piece of basswood and gluing to them to the top of the support. Once these were dry I glued them onto the cornice.

Then the cornice was painted Decoart-Pinegreen and dry brushed with a 1:2 green and white blend respectively. A piece of trim was then prepainted and added to finish off the transition from clapboard to cornice.

Tonights project will be to construct the ground floor of this structures wall which will feature five buisiness/retail units.

Thanks for reading.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 06/14/2008 12:37:42 PM

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  12:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great solution to building the corbels rather then casting them. Looking good; as always.
Peter

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  12:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant! Looks great.

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  1:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

They look great, thanks for the idea and post.

Jim

jkristia
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  1:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gluig the pieces together is brilliant and yet so simple. I would never have thought of something like that.

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  2:09:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, you are so innovative, great idea.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  2:39:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I was close in my thinking of what you did to make the corbels, I thought you took a square piece of stock used a small router bit and then cut them on the bandsaw. I think it was a great idea to start the separate thread but the title will do little to help in the search for these kinds of techniques. Perhaps you should add the other gems(or links) here as well like cutting the siding and the window technique and any others I'm missing right now. More great info, thanks Pat

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  5:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the positive responses everyone, much appreciated, I hope someone else can utilise it in on of their builds. People often say "think outside the box". I try to eliminate the box altogether, much less restriction on finding a solution, hence my reply "there is no box"

Pat, I edited my first post and added in the links for the windows and siding threads. I also retitled the thread appropriately, I didnt want to bend/break any forum rules earlier.

Regards,
Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  5:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting method, Karl. The glueing-unglueing idea is brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  9:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, your not a rule breaker. Sent you an email thru the forum address I hope its still the right one. Pat

Joe Rutter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  8:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe Rutter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl:

Great tutorial ... ingenious! You would fit in very well with the modeling crowd of Model Railroading back in the 50's & 60's when you had to do a lot of your own stuff.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  12:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Rutter

.................You would fit in very well with the modeling crowd of Model Railroading back in the 50's & 60's when you had to do a lot of your own stuff..........

Gee thanks Joe, high praise indeed !! Those guys did some incredible things back then with next to nothing.

I read somewhere that Doug's shopfronts are two overlayed lasercut pieces to give the depth and detail. Unfortunately not having a lasercutter mine came to 152 individual pieces so far, and I havent even done the mullions and doors yet !!.

I drew out the shopfront on the back of a large styrene "FOR RENT" sign and also cut some strips from this sheet to make the window surrounds and wall detail.

I used basswood/balsa strips to build up the columns and overhang.

A shot of primer, I had wanted to use grey but forgot to buy some yesterday .

Now its ready for the green paint and the doors.

Regards,
Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  1:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is very impressive, Karl. Laminating all these pieces of wood and styrene certainly required a lot of patience, but the resulting shopfront is an outstanding piece!

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  2:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
I'm very impressed with your logical and skillful approach to breaking each assembly down into a series of components that can be carefully scratch built. Thanks for posting each step you go.
Peter

rtbaron
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  3:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very, very nice. Great combination of materials.

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Lous Star Diner Billboard Topic Next Topic: Finest Screen mesh I have ever seen  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000