Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 58 ]  [ Newest Member: Csarnick ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: British coach vonversion. Topic Next Topic: CMX Track Cleaning Car
Page: of 62

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  5:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not much railroading in February - I tore a tendon in my knee, had surgery and am stuck in a leg immobilizer, unable to drive, until April. However, it did keep me indoors despite the nice weather, and I made some progress on the staging yard.

I'm using old Earl Eshleman "turnout links", some from my HS layout, some from a White Elephant table at a show. I'm using twin-coil switch machines to allow diode-matrix routing, but I need to buy three more to finish this throat.

I have to say, I've never before in my life installed & wired 5 switch machines in an afternoon. "Build out of place" is also a big win given my mobility problems ('hands and knees 'is presently 'hands,knee and toe').

In the middle of this, there was some 'stunt soldering' as I made improvements on the Walthers 'DCC friendly' 3-way switches I'm using, but I'll post that over in Model RR Construction after I've browsed the forum a bit.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  6:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Sorry to hear about the knee, make sure you don't rush back on it and take care to strengthen the overall structure before you stress it again. That's the only way to prevent future difficulties (experience speaks).

Good to see that you're back with modeling. Although not always possible, I'm a firm believer in bringing anything I can to the workbench (build out of place). This method has allowed me to focus on the build and not on the contortions of working around existing modeling or in hard to reach areas.

My wishes for a speedy recovery,
Dave

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  5:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just checked back. Very impressive! You're making progress for sure. Peter mentioned above about the hand laid track on a large layout. I think you are slightly off balanced for hand laying that much track (kidding of course....LOL!!!). Love it!

Tom Johnson

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  8:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the knee, but it's good to see you can still make progress on the layout.

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  9:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments. Probably no more pictures till I have the staging right side up and in place. And yes, I'm treating the knee carefully.

I asked my good friends at the Hub Division (NER, NMRA), and lo and behold, dozens of idle twin-coil machines come out of the woodwork. So that problem is solved. I'll pick them up at the Spring Show in Peabody, MA Saturday; until then I can either work on the control panel or lay ties in Newburyport. There's plenty to do, so the last bit of mainline benchwork for the Newburyport draw can wait till I can carry heavy things up the stairs again.

Tom, if you think I'm a little off for hand-laying, wait till I start writing about the Newburyport draw (Fig. 10-47 in Mallery's bridge book). *If* I can make a decent model of it at all, it's going to take me quite a while...

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  9:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My friends at the Hub Division came through with the twin-coil switch machines I needed, and I spent this afternoon installing the last three and wiring the frogs. After dinner, with help from my wife & daughter, I got the staging yard into position.

After an evening on the floor screwing it into place, I can proceed to connecting the tracks and building the control panel.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  7:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Standing up to do trackwork is actually more comfortable than sitting at my desk using the computer, so I got quite a few hours in toward connecting the West Lynn area to staging today.

I got the middle track operable earlier in the week. I'm fairly far along on the eastbound tracks - three frogs ready to solder, the fourth lacks one closure rail. But I'm going to have to shift gears and cut gaps and wire tomorrow, to get rid of the short I just created. And I probably won't try to install any switch mechanisms until the Dr. gives me some freedom of movement in my knee - maybe Thursday?.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  02:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like it's coming right along James. Good luck with the Dr. but don't rush it. You still have to work that knee to get it strong again.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  09:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Dr. gave me 30 degrees of movement in the brace last week, which means I can drive a stick again. But I still can't mow the lawn (never in my life has mowing been needed before 4/15 up here, and the horse chestnuts are in full leaf two or 3 weeks early). So I used up 100 feet of 1/16 x 3/32 stock I got from Northeastern in Methuen, MA doing this:

I should have gotten at least 50% more, but I don't mind making the trip again; Wayne has a decent stock for the small space he's in. The only obstacle is getting there one of the three half-days he's open.

Today's activities will begin with sanding and staining. Maybe I'll get to ballasting what I've finished. Or maybe I'll install switch machines elsewhere.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  10:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A drizzly, cool weekend produced a lot of progress. Not a very compelling photo, but it does represent two turnouts ready for mechanisms and benchwork complete through the foundation for the Newburyport depot area. The unballasted spur is turned around from the prototype, but will serve a post-war bakery whose building is still standing off US 1.

Another meter of rail and I'll reach the depot. Then I've got a road overpass, the turnout at the end of double track and the river bridge between me and a golden spike (for the main line, anyway. And it won't really be golden if it's on a stand-in bridge).

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  11:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, anything with Minutemen in it looks good!

You have some elegant track work there. Keep at it!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  8:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got more progress to report:

Ballast is drying between the Newburyport depot and the current end-of-roadbed at the riverbank. I've been working on roughing in the roads in the area, because I have to finish at least part of the cut stone abutments before I can make the track across the Merrimac St. underpass permanent.

Which brings me to a question: I've got a bit more than 2 meters of track to lay to complete the circuit of the attic. Alas, most of this should be on the Merrimac River bridge, a big, complex modeling project which will probably take a year or more to execute well. So clearly a Golden Spike isn't imminent.

However, I could cobble up some temporary track, hot-wire around two missing control panels and a number of turnouts lacking mechanisms and have a 'brass spike' ceremony, possibly before hot weather makes the attic unpleasant till Fall.

What do you think? Go for the 'brass spike' and have a 'Gansett (because champagne is clearly not in order)? Or build the panels and mechanisms and get my nose to the grindstone on the bridge?

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  10:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go for the temporary track! That way you can run trains, etc to motivate yourself when you bog down on some other project.

dave (who's a hypocrite with respect to this advice...)

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  10:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To paraphrase Curt Gowdy decades ago, "Hi, Neighbor--- Have a "Gansett!!"

You should (operative word) find that wiring around and actually running stuff is a motivator. That said, like Dave, I am of the "do as I say, not as I do" crowd in this regard.... I "wired around" something years ago and it sat in that condition for a couple of years, as I was content just to watch the train run. This was not conducive to progress.

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  2:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My recent progress has been mostly tracklaying, so not very photogenic. Today we leave for the Tracks & Tides convention in St. John, NB, so no layout work until late next week.

However, last night I was reading a layout article in RMC, and they included the traditional turnout count. I find this to be a decent way of comparing layout size, complexity and maintenance. So I counted mine:

31 (1 commercial, 10 came with the piece of the old MIT club layout) fully operational.
9 (5 commercial) with mechanisms, awaiting control (wiring or hand-throw).
15 (1 commercial) awaiting mechanisms.
8 at some stage of construction
17 not begun (9 go on benchwork I won't start till the main line is finished).
80 total.

Since I joined RR-Line in Dec. 2007, I've completed 7 turnouts, gotten 9 ready for control and 14 ready for mechanisms.

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: British coach vonversion. Topic Next Topic: CMX Track Cleaning Car  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000