Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: Csarnick ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: British coach vonversion. Topic Next Topic: CMX Track Cleaning Car
Page: of 62

ak-milw
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  8:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ak-milw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Everything looks great, I really like the wire fence.

Andy Kramer -- Modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  9:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Andy, Chuck, Dave, Mark & Pete. That style of town boundary sign goes back as far as I can remember, but a web search reveals that at one point the bottom edge was also curved to suggest the shape of an open book. Maybe I'll get called on it, maybe I should just make a 2nd sign to use when it's 1953 on my layout.

Edited by - jbvb on 10/28/2015 9:22:45 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  09:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of neat details all over! The Rowley and 1A signs really set the locale. Pete's suggestion to mention the breed of chickens and cows is a good one, like he said those are details easily missed.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2015 :  09:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Getting near the end of my punch list; last night I got 'Sweetie' the Jersey painted to my satisfaction. The NH Red chickens are almost invisible at 3 feet, but they photograph OK.

The biggest decision remaining is about my AP Chair's suggestion that I supply a 'frame' for the right (Newburyport West) end of the area to be evaluated. The abandoned embankment and abutments for the Georgetown, Rowley & Ipswich trolley overpass would suffice. I've got photos and maps but I need to mock it up to see if I have room for a credible representation.

[edit] Oh, and thanks, Bill - our posts overlapped.

Edited by - jbvb on 10/29/2015 09:22:36 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  9:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's what the right (RR east) end of my scene looked like a week ago. The gap against the backdrop existed because I won't be able to get the levels right for the US 1 overpass until the Downtown Newburyport peninsula's RR roadbed is half done. The gap behind the fascia is where the peninsula will attach.

I was thinking about my AP Chair's comment about a 'frame' here when Mieke commented that she wanted to put temporary cardboard filler pieces in these gaps before Tour de Chooch. This got me moving and I filled as much as I could with permanent scenery:

The road surface & guardrails have to wait, and I hope I haven't made trouble for future me with the fill and gravel where the approach spans will go. But it does look better and the embankment supplies a bit of 'frame'.

At the other end, Prost Bakery now has a foundation, framed by swamp and the side of the High St. glacial moraine.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  9:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice "fix," James!

If that house in the right rear background were level and plumb, my guess is that the Scenery Gurus would be pleased enough to cut the certificate right then and there.

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  9:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete, the ill-founded house is in Newburyport, which is many, many structures away from potential as a Scenery AP candidate. The area I've been working on begins at the US 1 embankment and goes left.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  9:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So noted, and thanks, with apologies for the error.

Any sense of schedule for the evaluation?

Pete
in Michigan

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  6:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After having visited a few layouts in NJ on our way to and from the NER convention, it got me thinking. Some had a curtain underneath their layout, and it really encouraged focus onto the layout, hiding (potential) clutter underneath. So, James and I got 100ft of fabric and a pile of velcro, and I hauled my sewing machine to his place. A lot of measuring later (because aside from 8ft of modular layout, nothing is straightforward, of course) the sewing started:

Here are the first 2 panels installed:

James did all the sticky parts:

And once he had that section glued, the third piece went up:

One more panel is waiting for 2 more feet of velcro, and 2 panels are prepped and ready for all their velcro. Yes, we woefully underestimated the amount of velcro needed. Needless to say, there is a shopping list. After those are done, probably 3 or 4 more panels, and also go around using the staplegun to reinforce the velcro to the wood. After the glue dries a little more. Don't want to yank off both velcro sides with the curtain.
One of the detailing that you can't see (as intended, but I may take a picture of to show later) is that in some places there are supporting beams going to the fascia, and I had to notch the fabric to make it fit. Usually not more than an inch wide and about an inch down, and I will probably reinforce the cuts at some point, to prevent the fabric from tearing down from those cuts. Yes, I learned to sew long before I picked up modeling :)

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  6:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Velcro: I was going to build a dust collector bag underneath my table saw. Wife and I went to a fabric store to get the canvas and Velcro. The clerk took us to the rack of Velcro and said, "which size will work best?" I pointed to the largest/heavy duty stuff and said, "Give me some of that manly Velcro!" Wife and clerk cracked up...

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  8:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Very, very nicely done Mieke!

I desperately need to hide some of that ...ummm... "potential" clutter under my layout, and may have to try to negotiate a project here.

As my southern friends say, "Y'all done Gooood!!"

Pete
in Michigan

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  9:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great!

Mike

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  11:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice'...

Ted

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  11:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  12:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that sure cleans it up nicely.

Page: of 62 Previous Topic: British coach vonversion. Topic Next Topic: CMX Track Cleaning Car  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000