Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Inventory check of structures. Topic Next Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #14  May / June 201
Page: of 59

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2015 :  10:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The signal setup at the east portal of Bexley tunnel has looked complete for a while, but I was talking to one of the gang at Bannon's last night; he said there's a lot more work to do on the electrical controls at Bexley Tower.

The first two styrene dwarf signals are in place but not wired. The remaining seven are on my #3 workbench in various stages of completion. I've got an op session coming up in a week, so I'll be shifting gears to cleaning up and re-staging before the weekend.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/01/2015 :  10:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  12:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My friend Mike was covering the 3rd trick Newburyport Drawtender job while the guy who owns it was on vacation. He knows I'm usually up early, so he called me about 5 AM, saying there was an R-1 on the 'Narragansett' and it was late enough that I might catch it in daylight.

Sure enough, when I got to Robinson Rd. there was 4108. The brakeman was just climbing back on after pushing the button to line the automatic interlocking into the yard. That 'run-down' timer is 4 minutes, so I grabbed a quick shot of the engine and the red 'jack'.

I was trotting under the Robinson Rd. bridge when the engineer gave two short and cracked the throttle. I sprinted a little past the home signal and got another shot as it entered the yard. At Bannon's after work, Ernie told me that 4108 was the Rigby protect engine and ran light to Arundel after the diesels had fuel trouble.

My first interlocking is in service. A day too late for the op session, but better late than never.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  12:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking shots James! Congrats on getting the interlocking working. I know you put a lot of thought and work into it. One of these days, I might even get some signals working on my layout.

Mark

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  09:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Mark here. Great shots, nice story line and a very nice working interlocking.

Someday....

Congratulations!

Pete
in Michigan

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  11:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes...looking great, James. It's so nice to hear about your operating sessions starting up. Say, nicer still to hear that a steam locomotive came to the rescue of some diesel engines!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Twist67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  11:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Twist67's Homepage  Send Twist67 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

looking great.Nice Work on that Acme building with that sign,canopy,loadingdock etc.

cheers,Chris

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  10:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Mark, Pete, Mike and Chris.

Since the op session, I've ordered a bunch of signal parts. Meanwhile I'm working on the NMRA AP certificates for Civil Engineering and Scenery. The former is waiting for evaluation to be scheduled, the latter has had me adding details and fixing little problems in my planned 32 sq. ft. area: East Bexley through Rowley to Little River.

Wednesday Ron G. brought a P2K RDC-3 to try out. We set it up leading an eastbound train. I remembered a photo of a similar consist arriving Rowley circa 1957, but even if we could have put the camera where the photographer had been standing, there would have been no backdrop. So this one's from the opposite side of the tracks:

It's been 15 years since I scratchbuilt the crossbuck to B&MRRHS plans. Now it's finally gotten its "2 Tracks" placard.

The B&B gang has put up some new fence at Little River and painted the flanger sign and switchstand at Newburyport West.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  01:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its all about the little details. Looks really nice James!

Mark

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  08:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  10:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

You should have no issues with either certificate. This is coming along very nicely, and the more you add, the better it will look. Add stuff for yourself, not for the NMRA, and you'll be pleased at the end of the day. And the evaluations.

And apropos of nothing whatever, have a close look at the Electrical Engineering certificate as well. Civil and Electrical go hand in hand, and the requirements are very similar-- "build it and then make it run." You might be able to get a "twofer" with very little extra work.

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  9:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mark, Mike and Pete. I presently have Author, Volunteer and Electrical (my most recent, a year ago). Getting Civil, Scenery and Dispatcher this year seems within reach. Structures is a little farther out. Fates willing, I'll qualify for Official in 2017, not that it will advance my pursuit of MMR.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  9:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

This is Real Progress, and I congratulate you! Your "seventh Certificate" will need to come from the "Equipment" category, either Motive Power or Cars. I sent you some e-mail comments on this.

Keep plugging!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2015 :  11:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete. It appears the wheels will eventually grind me out a Civil certificate. I'm continuing to work on Scenery, while pondering a comment my AP Chair made while looking over the area I plan to submit for evaluation:

The left (RR west) end of the section is East Bexley, where the backdrop coves in and the Robinson Rd. overpass exists to separate the sceniced area from the unsceniced Bexley yard tracks.

But the right end, at Newburyport West, is presently just the visible line where I reached 32 sq. ft. and stopped applying ground cover. He says it would be better if the scenery ran up to a natural divider.

The US 1 overpass will go in the gap between Little River and the Hytron plant. But it hasn't been begun: I need to learn to make molds and cast multiple complex parts. But also, I can't get the level and vertical curve of the east (right) end of the embankment right until I'm roughing in the landforms on the un-built 'Downtown Newburyport' peninsula.

I explained this and he responded that completing and scenicing the sides of the embankment would work, though not as well. But then I remembered the Georgetown, Rowley & Ipswich trolley embankment west of Rt. 1. Almost all of the fill was east of the B&M, so it might do the 'divide' function decently, while avoiding Rt. 1's issues.

So I dug out O.R. Cummings book and when detailing gets tiresome I'll mock something up. The abandoned abutment will go a little right of the switchstand. I just need to make sure that the block signal (yellow push pin) just west of the Rt. 1 overpass still has decent sight distance.

Edited by - jbvb on 07/27/2015 11:18:22 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2015 :  6:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope to complete the cable guardrail on the approaches to the Rt. 1A overpass tonight. But with .010 wire (scale 7/8") the longer parts on the far side of the tracks take some looking to spot.

The lens was about 8" from the truck.

Page: of 59 Previous Topic: Inventory check of structures. Topic Next Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #14  May / June 201  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000