Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 54 ]  [ Total: 62 ]  [ Newest Member: leftyfretguy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Steam Era Freight Car Modeling Topic Next Topic: KATO Business Car - Removing the Shell
Page: of 61

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/24/2013 :  4:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Stu and Mike, knowing how Sylvan's prototype worked will help a lot in getting this scene right. Sylvan does suggest lightning rods, and my own barn still has the system my grandfather had installed.

I'm modeling a new gothic arch freestall dairy barn on the other side of Rowley, MA - Sylvan's newer-style silo with the domed top is going there. But Mr. Rice is not the sort to haul feed to cows when they can walk to decent pasture. And the mandate to have a bulk tank and a concrete-floored milkroom is still in my layout's future.

bxcarmike
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  1:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This link should show you generally what I'm referring to mh
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/images/NewWSWeb/PF5190_c_1.jpg

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  2:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Woodland Scenics gives me a "no hotlinking" error, and they don't seem to let Google search the site for things like the picture's name. What category is it under?

bxcarmike
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  8:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to there web site. it's under buildings, look for the barn, it shows a older barn with silo and lean-to type sheds. Just a general idea of a dairy barn. mh

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  9:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Woodland Scenics site, New Products, "Rustic Barn." I like yours better....

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/25/2013 :  9:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks. It does illustrate the idea, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a climate where that much greenery would accumulate on shingles at that pitch, at least before they'd failed, rotted the rafters and collapsed.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2014 :  11:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've gotten a good deal done over the holidays, but my main PC's power supply failed and the new machine I ordered is still somewhere on CSX. Finally, I found time to get the old one repaired, so once again my pictures are organized:

This is Gilbert Rice's Little River Farm with ground goop leveling the yard and making the ramp up to the barn. I used plastic wrap to protect the foundations. All in all, I'm reasonably pleased with the suspended masonite building supports, though it's definitely more work than placing buildings on a flat foam or plywood substrate.

This is my attempt at blasted schist: base of wood putty tinted with black dry color, damp-brushed (kind of like dry brushing but wastes less paint) with white, raw umber & burnt umber artist's acrylics. Once I get good sunlit photos of the prototype, I may try to re-do the quartz intrusion (white streak near the right end).

I made a lot more progress on the farm yard today, but I was up late last night and have to work tomorrow.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  10:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Basic ground cover is complete and I've got the foundations looking decent, except for two door stones I'll look for when Jane walks her dogs at the beach.

This page shows the genesis of the scene three years ago: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20091&whichpage=12

Next is more wire mesh cow fence than I had time for this evening - tomorrow will start with getting the trash & recycling down the driveway just in time so my bag & bins won't be buried by plows overnight, then clearing the driveways when the storm's past.

Just over the horizon, I try making an apple orchard out of blueberry twigs.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  11:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not a lot of progress this past week, but the house now has two doorstones, the barn has all the scribed wood floor you can see through the door, there are flowers by the front door and the highbush blueberry patch is planted.

I hadn't expected to be cutting stone for the model RR, but I'd gathered stones at a beach in Kennebunk and the one that fit the side entrance best was too long. So I made grooves with a cutoff disk and whacked it to break the ends off.

It'll be warmer up there this weekend, which ought to energize me for fencing and the orchard.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  12:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's turning out to be a great scene James! I do love the first pic.

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  01:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Real nice!

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  09:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done! This is coming along beautifully.

High bush blueberries, eh.... Hmmm....I do hope that's indicative of some Forum breakfasts in our future!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  1:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mark, Bill & Pete. There'll only be berries for the lounge if there's hands to pick them come July.

Yesterday I made a bunch of barbwire fence for the farm, using 1/16 x 3/32 tie stock and single strands of copper from a dead power cord. Today I did the mesh fence for the other side of the tracks.

Not pretty yet, but it's getting closer.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  2:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your farm scene is coming together very nicely.

George

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  12:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday evening I used up all the WS 'foliage' netting I had on hand making trees (visible behind the barn). Highbush blueberry twigs work fairly well, particularly the bark color/texture, but they wouldn't be durable enough for the front of the layout. My treemaking also needs practice & possibly better materials & techniques.

This shot will get better with orchard in the gap between the barn and the house, plus something for a backdrop between the orchard and the edge of Rowley. But it won't be complete till it gets warm enough that I can pour Little River and finish the marsh. The marsh grass color is way too light at this angle, which might be helped by trimming the fake fur to a more realistic height.

Page: of 61 Previous Topic: Steam Era Freight Car Modeling Topic Next Topic: KATO Business Car - Removing the Shell  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000