Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: ida ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne
Page: of 57

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  10:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Bill, I have MS Office in several versions: 2007 and 2010 are the handiest, but I really disliked the menu changes between 2003 and 2007, so the only way I'll get something newer is if it is included in the computer.

OK. It would be better, I think, to send them through email. I'll send you a PM.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 11/26/2013 10:30:35 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  11:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, your timetable & other documents look good; I've never had to learn Word or Excel to that level for work, but I clearly need to study what you've done.

Don, thanks.

Today's progress all took place outside the layout room:

This afternoon, with the sun relatively low and nearly perpendicular to one of the Hytron warehouse's walls, I set up my tripod and almost froze my fingers taking photos. Then I spent a couple of hours learning how to make the above with the Gnu Image Manipulation Program, a free tool which is the best available for the set of operating systems I want to use it on. I have more to learn, as I had to work out the size iteratively, but once I can get a couple of good prints on matte paper, I'll be all set to finish the building.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2013 :  7:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find layout tours helpful as well as fun. I saw several of the Tour de Chooch layouts Saturday; I didn't visit any Sunday because of chores, including cleaning the house in case anyone dropped by. I guess it was just as well, as what has been drizzle here was ice farther inland and higher up. This contributed to my not getting any visitors.

At any rate, one thing I really noticed about the layouts I saw was lighting. Several used track lighting, which had good color rendition, but only in the hot spots. One was only lit by the room's two overhead incandescent fixtures, so photography was really tough, and I'd have brought in extra lights just to work on its corners. One had relatively even lighting from fluorescent fixtures in the suspended ceiling, but they were standard tubes, so my pictures came out greenish.

All of which makes me really glad I took the time to work out daylight-colored, even lighting over the whole 'visible' part of the layout. Most of my pictures here were taken with room lighting; only those with shadows hinting at a sun direction used my photofloods. I must use a tripod when I stop down for good depth of field, but that's inevitable: enough light to shoot handheld at f/32 would make summer modeling even more sweaty.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  08:07:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd never brought myself to the point where I'd pay the going rate for a commercial static grass application, but Ron G inspired me: Last month I bought a Harbor Freight hand fly zapper and last night I did a really simple conversion using a sink strainer found in a good hardware store:

The only flock available locally is Woodland Scenics 2mm - I didn't like their Medium Green in the bottle or as initially applied - too blue, but vacuuming it improves the look a lot:

The tree in the background is a Hemlock Pine I got via Scenic Express - I think JTT is the manufacturer. It's the closest mass market item I've found to an Eastern White Pine.

I also spent a while coloring fake fur for marsh grass - I think I've gotten the tips right, but the base color needs adjustment.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  1:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I like to mix the static grass colors for variety. Greener for better moisture areas, more yellow for dryer areas. One technique I'm going to try is using the yellow static grass and paint it with acrylic greens so you get the yellow stem and greener leaves in sun light. Static grass is a great texture difference to ground foam. The type of 'color' lighting also affects the way the color of anything on the layout. I mix mine between cool and warm in the same florescent fixture which balances it out a bit.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  6:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill. If any of the Hub Marlborough Ma. train show vendors have a variety of flocks, I'll look them over next weekend. If not, I can either mail-order or wait 6 weeks for the W. Springfield show and see them first hand via Scenic Express & others.

Last night and this morning I worked on my one little bit of exposed rock. The Eastern Route doesn't have much, 6 or 7 cuts in 50 miles, but some was in a location I'm modeling:

The material is schist with a long geologic history. Here's a try at the basic rock shapes, carved into tinted Wood Putty:

Lots remains to be done with paint. And I should probably re-shoot the photos when the sun is fully on the rocks before I start painting.

Edited by - jbvb on 12/03/2013 6:31:14 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  6:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

I like what you've done up near the road. I think adding some tan static grasses to the mix you have above the rocks will do it. And I'd add some longer grasses along the fence line.

Pete
in Michigan

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  12:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And maybe a little drybrushing light gray and white onto the sunlit parts of your schist would be effective.

--Stu--
It's a great day whenever steam heads out into the timber!

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  3:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks real good James. How the heck do you make that took out of a flyswatter. I've seen them for sale as a grass making tool but can't say I've seen one made. I actually have one of those battery operated swatters or should say my son had one when he was little.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  5:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete: Yes, as soon as I can lay hands on the materials.

Stu: This schist is fairly colorful in a good light - orange and black tones from iron, quartz intrusions etc. But I'm going to work from better pictures so I don't get laughed at by a geologist, if one ever visits my layout,

Lynn, there are a number of write-ups and videos on the web, but I basically followed Louis's (desertdrover) instructions here:

http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31460

But as you can see, I used a clip-lead instead of making a (safer) connection inside the handle, and I skipped several steps and saved a little money by threading the other wire through the mesh of a sink strainer and clamping the rim of the strainer with the hole/peg where the front "fastening the body halves together" screw used to go. Now that I know it works, I'll make a nice ground connection when I get a "round tuit" of the right dimensions.

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  5:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks James much appreciated.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  5:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An off-line comment made me realize I hadn't linked this thread with my Operations thread:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41141

I just posted a short summary of how my railroad is supposed to operate in it. [edit] And I've included a much better track plan than that I posted 3 years ago:

Neither of the peninsulas have been begun, but all other track is complete except the left end of the GE in-plant trackage.

Edited by - jbvb on 12/06/2013 7:59:48 PM

RW
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  12:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi James,
Nice track plan, could post the length and width of the plan.
Also your radius of the Bexley end.
Thanks, Rich

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  1:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The usable area of the room, with track at 40-43 inches above the floor, is 14 x 39 feet. Mainline minimum radius is 36", though if you plotted what I actually built, it might get down to 34" in places. The Oil Terminal (by West Lynn) and Downtown Newburyport peninsulas will use 30" minimum radius. As you can see from where XTrkCAD colors things pink, I have one tricky switch/curve to build when I start on Downtown Newburyport.

RW
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  3:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks James,
Working on a dream layout it might be a 30' X 30' or a 40' X 20' depending on what space I can secure.
North Station to The Nashua Yard.
Rich

Page: of 57 Topic Next Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000