Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: MTH Repair Service - A Misnomer? Topic Next Topic: My Mechanical Adventures in HO Scale Motive Power
Page: of 61

Rowan
Section Hand

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  10:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here, looking good.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  2:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been a month since I did much with the layout, but this weekend's weather was too unsettled for relaxed sailing, I need buckets from the guys whose wheat I harvested before I can clean it, etc. So I spent some of yesterday and today working on scenery:

This removable section behind Bexley Engine House needed screen and goop to make transitions between levels and fill gaps behind the retaining wall along the tracks.

I usually put off making and applying ground goop until I have a few hours to work. So I did four locations today:

This overpass will cross the east throat of the Bexley yard. No tint for the stonework, black for the road, brown latex paint & sawdust for the embankment.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  09:22:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi James, it's always nice to see progress on your layout. Keep those pics coming!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  07:55:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike. I didn't do much until last week, when I got going on scenery in the Bexley (yard/engine terminal on the west side of the attic) area. It's all in-progress, so not pretty for pictures. But I did indulge in an impulse, and the results please me enough that it might be interesting to others.

I had built some removable streets in Bexley's downtown out of hardboard, and I'd put the rough side up as I planned to bond some kind of road surface to it. However, concerns about getting at the screwheads later and how the paving would respond to flexing kept me stalled.

Last night while I was waiting for scenery to dry, I noticed a can of "Cape Cod Gray" stain I'd picked up on sale years ago, and decided to see what it looked like:

It has enough "cobblestone nature" when viewed from a distance that I plan to paint the rest of the "rough-side-up" masonite with it next. Which has inspired me to expand the part of the city I'm working on (this started out as finishing the "gothic arch barn" farm area).

Many urban streets in New England initially got asphalt only in the travel lanes, leaving the gutters or parking spaces cobbles. I'll try to reproduce this by going over the middle of the street with something flexible, putting less strain on the incomplete "cobblestone nature" of the masonite.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  11:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Three hours, a little crawling under the layout, a lot of leaning over it, a batch of wood putty and a fresh bottle of diluted white glue was enough for tonight:

My Pentax Kr has a flip-up flash which doesn't do well against my white, sloping attic roof. I tried the shot above upside-down and like the result.

The East Bexley dairy farm is what I started out to work on. The road overpass uses some Atlas girders I had around. I suppose the work at the other end is me avoiding an evening of building fences here. I won't have to do that till next week, as I'm presenting to the Seacoast Div. get-together in Derry NH Friday evening. Tomorrow night I lug a module down two flights of stairs...

cprfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  9:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb
Three hours, a little crawling under the layout, a lot of leaning over it, a batch of wood putty and a fresh bottle of diluted white glue was enough for tonight:

However you do it, it's looking good James.
quote:

My Pentax Kr has a flip-up flash which doesn't do well against my white, sloping attic roof. I tried the shot above upside-down and like the result.

Some years back, before I got my current camera, I had a Canon G5, which was a proconsumer point and shoot camera, while it was a good camera, it didn't have a high ASA capability, so I used flash on a lot of pictures I took while on layout tours.

Some things I had to watch out for when taking pics was white or light colored areas or buildings right at right angles to the camera, or the flash reflects back into the lens of the camera !

Alan

--

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  07:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alan, I've only ever had on-camera flash, though years ago I had one I could aim up for bounce. I do have photofloods, which do the job for photographing my own layout. Though I've put some effort into decent room lighting so I can often just place the camera and take a shot:

I was testing arrangements of flats to go with a new one I built from DPM parts last night, and one of them came out ok. Ambient light, 1/8 sec. f/40 is strained at this depth of field, so I may look into one of the image-combining programs when I next slow down on construction.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  09:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

Nice progress on the layout. The idea of simulating the asphalt over cobblestone is a good one.

BTW, I like that last photo.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  07:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce. I'll be re-shooting it once I get the scene farther along, but I don't think I'll change the lighting much, maybe a bit of fill from behind the camera so you can see the caboose platforms, and weather the GP-9's trucks so they show up better.

Last night after Planning Board I had time to build what the B&M called an "H-Arm". These were used at transitions from open wire to cable, and at some interlockings. I used Rix parts, but didn't try to fill in the insulators in the middle, where the pole normally goes. It will be 2 feet from the closest viewers, I wonder if I will be able to put up with the crooked bracing.

HobbyDr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  12:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit HobbyDr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you sure it's crooked? The true length of the rear cross-brace is hidden by the uprights. I think it's OK.

Or are you just being factitious?
Don

Visit HobbyDr's Workbench http://hobbydr.blogspot.com/

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  4:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don, I'm not being facetious, it looks crooked to me. But I'll measure it and see if my eyes are fooling me.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  1:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's one of those optical illusions. Paint it and it will look more correct. Remember not even the prototypes were perfect.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 09/20/2012 1:32:14 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  11:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, though the urban half of the layout is all going to be cable rather than open wire, I need to build three more of these, and there's one position where the H-arm is only visible side-on. I'll decide when I see how the next one comes out.

cprfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/23/2012 :  10:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb
Alan, I've only ever had on-camera flash, though years ago I had one I could aim up for bounce. I do have photofloods, which do the job for photographing my own layout. Though I've put some effort into decent room lighting so I can often just place the camera and take a shot:

I've had a tripod hanging around here for some time, but I've never used on layout shots since the camera was fast enough on high ASA to capture a good image, but at the expense of depth of field, since the lens had to be wide open to admit enough light to take a picture.

But I think the next time I take some pics again, I'm going to put it on the tripod and go to something like F16 instead of the usual F4 or F5.

Alan

--

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  10:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Model photography is more important to me than many in the hobby, so depth of field is often on my mind. I was first introduced to the idea by Ben King's late '60s articles in MR, where among other things he built a pinhole camera from scratch. The zoom that came with my Pentax Kr DSLR will stop down to f/40 at some settings, but I also use an old Pentax 100mm macro in full-manual mode. It only goes to f/32, but it will focus much closer. Sometimes (as above) I shoot with room light, but I also use inexpensive tripod and clip-on photofloods when I need more/better illumination.

Page: of 61 Previous Topic: MTH Repair Service - A Misnomer? Topic Next Topic: My Mechanical Adventures in HO Scale Motive Power  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000