Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: Bunkerboy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #16  September / October  2 Topic Next Topic: Tubular Diaphragm Question
Page: of 61

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  5:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I looked over my little people, folks dressed for a tourist trap on a sunny summer day were pretty scarce. I went by Northeastern Craftsman Supply Saturday and found a couple that looked useful. The fishing guy is Preiser, the girl Merten, the bare-headed guy from Kramer.

I also cleaned up, painted and detailed a Plastruct (repackaged from some other supplier) swing set for Rowley:

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  5:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point, James! Tourists need to look like they're ready for fried clams! I certainly am!

So will the young lady be able to balance on the teeter-totter (er... seesaw) or not? The world wonders!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  10:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete, I expect she'll be able as long as the Weldwood holds...

No modeling this week, as I'm visiting corporate HQ, but I did get good news over the weekend: It looks like an article I submitted to Scale Rails quite a while back (in fact, before I started this thread) will be published in the June issue.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  05:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet!

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  10:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the article.
L&N nut
Jon

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  7:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, James!

Pete
in Michigan

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  3:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi James, congrats on a well-deserved article! I love those three pics of the GP7 and the BL-2! The scenery they are travelling through is spectacular! Yup, Bror is absolutely correct...you'll need a hundred or so little people lining up for "them thar" clams!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  07:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike, Pete and Jon. One of these days, I should see if I can succeed with a general circulation magazine. But the time between submission and publication might be just as long.

I hadn't done much modeling for a while, but a rainy weekend produced this progress on the farm on the north (RR east) side of Rt. 1A:

The Sylvan resin barn kit is just taped together, but the rain is supposed to continue all week...

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  01:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very New England.
L&N nut
Jon

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/17/2012 :  2:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today being Father's Day, I more or less took it off (except for two loads of wash and some bookkeeping this morning). But no actual modeling yet, because I discovered I'd given myself an accidental present: My Canon MP990 all-in-one has a slide scanning widget!!!

I'd forgotten this had ever existed till I looked at my 1979 slide. It's a mechanically-interlocked warning gate on the approach to the Merrimack River bridge in Salisbury, slightly in the rear of the 3-head searchlight home signal. It had been out of service 14 years, and was entirely demolished a decade or so later. I am not sure I can find room for one at each end of my planned model bridge, but it would be easy to animate.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/17/2012 :  6:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not clear to me how this works, can you talk through the 'open' and 'closed' settings?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/17/2012 :  8:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What it looks like to me: The pipe at the lower right comes from somewhere out on the bridge, either the locks that hold the swing span, or the levers that raise the approach rails above the swing span rails (I recall them as being the lifting rails - the ends were mitered). The lever mounted on the tie end reverses the motion. There's a rack on the end of the pipe engaged with a 2' or so gear wheel. The larger vertical pipe mounted to the gear's hub rotates, swinging the gate. All that's left of the gate is the two pipe tees it was attached to. I think it was a horizontal pipe with a diagonal brace coming down from the upper fitting.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/17/2012 :  9:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it, thanks!!!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  10:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For the last couple of weeks, most of my hobby time has been spent scanning slides. But with a rainy morning on the 4th, I got up to the attic and made some progress:

First I got out my makeshift foam cutting setup. In the 1950s Lionel made products of a quality we may never see again. The Nichrome wire came from a surplus site. I don't use a lot of foam, but there are two places where it lets me do a simple lift-out:

This is behind Bexley Engine Terminal, and might need to come out for easy access to a couple of switches, but will also make creating the scene much easier. The raised area is a site for a City Classics Gulf gas station now under construction.

This is a similar situation in West Lynn.

No model progress today, but I did get to spend several hours working in Seashore Trolley Museum's restoration shop, though not actually on a trolley.

Edited by - jbvb on 07/05/2012 10:01:37 PM

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  04:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding modeling as always. Keep up the good work.

Page: of 61 Previous Topic: All Scale Rails  Issue #16  September / October  2 Topic Next Topic: Tubular Diaphragm Question  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.51 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000