Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne Topic Next Topic: An inventory challenge
Page: of 56

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  10:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

1st time reading your thread and really enjoyed it. Great job and nice progress. Looking forward to the next update.

MK

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

Red P
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  07:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its coming along very nicely.
P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eightnotch/

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  3:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My vote is for a white fence weathered to grey.
L&N nut
Jon

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  07:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Matt and Red. Jon, my memories of "roadside attractions" from the 1960s are that if they could afford the paint, they repainted often.

Most progress since my last update has been non-photogenic; my drawing of Newburyport depot, foundations for structures. However, last night I started the Washington St. crossing.

I'm working from standard plans published by the B&MRRHS: Two 10" planks outside each rail, one with a flangeway on the inside. I'm using Micro-Engineering "Micro Spikes" where the prototype installed drive screws (every 2nd or 3rd tie depending on traffic). For my code 83 rail, I chose 1/16 x 3/32 (tie stock) basswood. Closer to the layout edge, I might have shimmed .010 or .015 under it, but leaving the rails a little proud won't do any harm here.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2011 :  9:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was an intense afternoon, this was the result:

This completes the carved wood putty stone retaining walls in the Merrimack St. area. I'm planning to do the High St. cut with carved styrene overlays.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 05/24/2011 :  5:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  10:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's been some more scenery work in the past month, but haying and a whole bunch of life have also intervened. I'll see if I can post a couple of photos this weekend.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  10:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been three months; in that time, I separated from my wife, my mother died and my employer spent two months in "we have to have this code frozen by Friday" mode.

But tonight some friends came over and I ran trains, and I've been experimenting with different track plans for the GE River Works in West Lynn. The area under consideration is in red:

This one makes more work for the Lynn Switcher, because he has to pull GE's outbounds first, then come back with the inbounds. The runaround is always available for GE's 44-tonner, and it has a few more spots. But if receiving (Building 41, upper right) uses bridge plates to the 2nd track, that gets in the way of the runaround.

This one lets the Lynn Switcher set inbounds on one track and pull outbounds from the other. But if GE's 44 tonner spot cars alongside Building 30 (left top), they have to be moved before any cars can be run around.

The next variation I'll try will be moving the left crossover to the right, between the two sharply curved tracks that go off to the rest of the plant 'behind the backdrop'.

Comments? The B&M tracks here are the prototype's arrangement: a "middle" siding, with the EB & WB mains on either side, and running tracks outside them. Staging is to the left, the West Lynn yard (4 stub tracks) is on the upper right.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  07:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been a while since I did something photogenic to the layout - life events were some of it, but once you've seen one block panel, you've seen most of them. However over the past few days I've accomplished the hard part of the remaining West Lynn backdrop:

I used 1/8" lauan plywood, because the reverse curve where the Saugus Branch exits staging would have been tough to do in hardboard. Also, I can cut lauan with several passes of a utility knife. Hardboard would have needed many trips up and down the stairs to avoid getting sawdust all over the rest of the layout. Technique as I've posted before: Use "scribing" with a compass to make a cardboard template, then more "scribing" to refine the fit of the plywood.

Also, I'm having "milestone" feelings, as it is just about four years since I started this thread. In that time, I've built as much layout as I had when I started, gotten the oval closed and the control system finished and even had time for a few structures. And the first photos I posted here were of the switch that's now under the backdrop opening. The Railroad-Line community has helped, offering ideas and feedback and an interested audience. Thanks, all.

Waverly RR
New Hire

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  10:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Waverly RR an AOL message  Send Waverly RR a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice James!
I like the McGinnis-ish colors on the control panel.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  08:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, James. The railroad is coming along very nicely. Isn't it nice to get input and appreciation from fellow forum members? I've enjoyed all of my time spent here, even though I had completed my Boston and Maine layout long vefore joining the forum. I'm re-living my thrilling moments as I built my layout through your progress pictures! Keep up the fine work.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  12:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks; most of my modeling time between the holidays went into structures - the Gothic Arch dairy barn in 'Starting from Scratch' and a ModelTech Studios resin tenement. But neither is finished, nor is likely to be before February - I was in Germany on vacation a week ago, and work is calling me to HQ in New Jersey for the week before the W. Springfield show.

Pacbelt
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  01:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
VERY nice James!!!! Great use of space!
I look forward, with the others, to the progress of this impressive layout! I also hope to gain ideas and inspiration, as my layout is about to start after 14 years on the armchair!! ;-p
Well done!

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  07:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Carmine; there's a lot of experience on this forum and pretty much any question gets prompt answers.

As for me, I've been traveling about half the time since the New Year. There are several projects in progress, but this one will have to get moving soon if I want to participate in the Challenge:

This is B.E.S.T's 'Clam Box' kit, moved from Ipswich to north of the center of Rowley. The prototype has grown many additions, I'm only going to model one.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  11:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A test assembly of the Clam Box and addition.

I re-ordered the walls so the door would be visible to visitors and the shed would be up against the blank wall. I don't think I'll have time to airbrush it until the weekend.

Page: of 56 Previous Topic: West Allen Street and Thawne Topic Next Topic: An inventory challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000