Railroad Line Forums - B&M Eastern Route progress
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: MTH Repair Service - A Misnomer? Topic Next Topic: My Mechanical Adventures in HO Scale Motive Power
Page: of 61

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  10:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Alex. Rowley & Rowley River will be with the Hub Division at the Museum of Our National Heritage in Lexington, MA next weekend.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  1:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been more than a month, but between business trips, modular layout setups and the season there hasn't been progress worth reporting till now, and alas, it isn't photogenic. The time I got in over the holidays was mostly repairing scenery on the Rowley modules; to fit them into my wife's Prius one must ride upside down, which has been harder on the scenery than standing on their backboards in the truck.

Last night I began wiring the MRC Power Station 8 (amps) booster I got from the Hub Show's White Elephant table. Alas, it turned into a reminder of why I'm reluctant to let computers get between me and my trains: The old MRC booster appears not to get along with DCC Specialties' "Power Shield" breakers - a PSX-1 decided it saw a short, even with nothing connected to the output terminals. Move it over to a location fed directly from the Prodigy Advance, it's happy. Further, MRC's instructions were written by a B- East Asian english student, and DCC Specialties' have some errors over and above lacking proofreading.

The monetary pain is the PSX-2 recently purchased for the Draw/River Works area. I'll try it when I get home from this trip, along with adding termination to my DCC buss in that direction (the booster is at one end of a 30' segment of 12 GA). If that doesn't work, I could either buy a different booster or simpler circuit breaker, or spend a little more on an oscilloscope and see what's actually going on.

I would like to go on record that I do not want my hobby to morph into something I need a logic analyzer for.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  10:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be showing my layout off to people who come to my birthday party Saturday, so I was going to have to get up there tonight and get the power wiring back together after the post-New-Years debacle. And then my Division Point B&M P-4b (postwar era) arrived today too:

The prototypes were too large for the Salem Tunnel, so they never ran on the Eastern Route, but things worked out a bit differently in my imagination. And it fits on the Walthers 90' turntable (barely). It runs nicely too, no derailments yet. The lights (including class lights, backup light and firebox) come on just as it starts to move.

I am a bit worried by the projecting lever at the front of the trailing truck (just ahead of the angle brace on the TT). It is as wide there as anything else on the engine, but it hasn't hit any of my Eshleman "turnout links" or the like. And unless I install DCC, it won't run on the Hub modules, where obstacles near rail level are not unheard of.

The wiring is back together, but I didn't do any further diagnosis on the MRC vs. PSX problem. Maybe Sunday.

Edited by - jbvb on 01/20/2011 10:53:26 PM

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  12:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is very nice engine James. Well detailed and painted. It looks like a product from Lima. A 4-6-2 wheel arrangement is one of my favorites.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

RonH56
Fireman

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  10:49:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful engine James, it just became my 'Desktop Background of the Month'.

"What the heck wuz that?"
Ron Haviland
Owner/Operator
Red Water Railway Co.
L.B. & S Shortline RR.

Podunk, New England

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  10:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't get to railroading till this afternoon; Saturday I had to make the snow fly (off my roofs) before the rain arrived and I spent this morning chopping ice etc. I was stalled on a couple of other projects, so I set to work on scenery for the Rt. 1A overpass area (Rowley - Newbury).

The masonite on the right will be salt marsh, after I cut the bed of the Little River out and drop it ~1/2 in. I'm going to try to model a now-gone relic of the Eastern RR: a two-span deck bridge where granite slabs were the load-bearing beams. When the MBTA rebuilt the line in the late '90s, the engineers couldn't prove it would bear the load (even though it had for 100+ years) and they replaced it with concrete.

BTW, that bit of rail was given to my father by a friend in the diplomatic service; it's from the Hejaz Railway (as blown up in various books and movies by Lawrence of Arabia).

papasmurf
Section Hand

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  09:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI AGAIN JIM: papasmurf here[we confersed here awhile back]. Your Pacific is Very Nice! Is it brass or ? And, while my 2-minute memory's still focused: can you please elaborate a bit on the Salem Tunnel? Being an ex-Springfield, MA resident, am in the dark on Eastern MA railroading history. TTFN. Keep Your Rails Shiny.....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  06:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm out of the country, so no pictures, but: When the Eastern RR built through Salem MA about 1838, they had to get down to tidewater right through the existing city. They used Washington St., but because of pressure from the city fathers, they built a cut-and-cover tunnel rather than a cut. It was single track and so tight that by the 1930s was a real operational problem; PRR round-roof boxcars were too big, as were most of the other WWII era steel house cars. The steam the B&M bought after WWI didn't fit either. The grade crossings at either end didn't help.

In 1954 they started replacing it, eliminating the grade crossings at either end by making it longer. They also replaced the old at-grade stone castle-style station w/trainshed with a belowgrade station below Mill St. They started out planning for double track, but changed to single when they did the middle part. About 20 years ago, the MBTA built a new station with no need for elevators and much more parking at the Bridge St. portal, on the former enginehouse site. Google satellite & street view of Washington St. in Salem shows it fairly well.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  12:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today's Shorpy has a great photo of the Eastern RR's Salem station: http://www.shorpy.com/node/9975?size=_original

What a loss it was when they took this down! Has anyone ever built a model of it?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2011 :  7:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The problem was, I believe the current tunnel runs more or less underneath where the right-hand tower was.

Years ago, I sketched a few plans involving a recognizable Salem, but nothing that I could fit in my space inspired me; the chimney & framing around it were a big handicap. There's an ex-B&M employee modeling Salem north of me, but he's still doing benchwork & tracklaying. I should get myself up there and take some pictures; I'll also send him the Shorpy link, thanks.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  07:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Progress since I returned from Europe has been non-photogenic: filling in spikes where I'd hurried, making a turnout work. But for a while, I've been thinking about my favorite dinosaur:

I painted a stock Hobbytown RS-3 as B&M 1538 about 1974, long before I had heard of Extra 2200 South or had any source of photos for detailing. I've always loved the way it runs, but some years back the gears got out of whack and I put it to one side. Last night I got it out and fixed the gear tower/truck mesh by careful filing. I lubed it, and the bare chassis took 20 cars around the layout just fine. I plan to fix it up further, but that will get posted elsewhere.

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  12:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can tell it will look really good when you get done with it.
If you plan on running it on DCC, I recommed to add wheel wipers to all 8 wheels. I did that on my NW-2 and it made all the difference in the world. It doesn't stall anywhere anymore. I have 2 RS-3's and and 2 RSD-5's I need to refurbish and put em on the layout. But, I want to do more on the layout. I have enough locomotives to run on the layout, but not enough layout to run all the locomotives I want to. I think a lot of us have that dilemma.
Regards, Vic Bitleris
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Progress since I returned from Europe has been non-photogenic: filling in spikes where I'd hurried, making a turnout work. But for a while, I've been thinking about my favorite dinosaur:

I painted a stock Hobbytown RS-3 as B&M 1538 about 1974, long before I had heard of Extra 2200 South or had any source of photos for detailing. I've always loved the way it runs, but some years back the gears got out of whack and I put it to one side. Last night I got it out and fixed the gear tower/truck mesh by careful filing. I lubed it, and the bare chassis took 20 cars around the layout just fine. I plan to fix it up further, but that will get posted elsewhere.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  10:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Vic. I've done a number of DCC installations in equipment lacking all-wheel pickup; the only ones that operate decently use Lenz Gold decoders with the supercapacitor add-on. Someday I may get back to that, substituting time & patience for serious re-work of power collection for pricey decoders. But I don't know if I'll ever do 1538 or my other Hobbytown locos, as part of their charm is the combination of straight DC with a substantial flywheel.

My situation is a bit different; I'm working out my operational plan and found myself short of a few types of cars and engines. 1538 and an E&P import awaiting paint will fill a gap in "dual service road switcher" assignments circa 1954. I need to paint/detail several more steam locomotives for circa-1950 operations, and several more RDCs for post-1956. I have plenty of deluxe passenger equipment for 1950 - 1956, but I need to get going on 4 or 5 commuter coaches of various types.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  9:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apropos of Dave's question, I understand there's a scale model of the stone castellated Salem station at the Wenham Museum, in Wenham MA. I couldn't accompany the Hub Modules there in Jan. 2011, but maybe I'll stop by sometime.

The 1538 project has reached the "order detail parts" stage, so most of the weekend's progress wasn't photogenic: Digging in the parts drawer, wiring, organizing things. I did get somewhere with GE River Works' Building 41:

I built the receiving area from Walthers modular walls, using about 1/3 of a tube of Testors to fill joints from behind for strength. I'm still deciding what to do about the main brass foundry building that goes behind it. Next in line is finishing the backdrop and deciding if I like the tentative plan (the switches are placed according to it) enough to start laying track.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  10:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, that looks like it will be a substantial background building. About how long is it in real feet/inches?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Page: of 61 Previous Topic: MTH Repair Service - A Misnomer? Topic Next Topic: My Mechanical Adventures in HO Scale Motive Power  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000