Railroad Line Forums - Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3
Page: of 37

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  09:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a good modeling subject Candy. Where is/was it located?

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

NE Brownstone
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  09:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit NE Brownstone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Candy,
When I first saw your building I thought it was the same as this one, but no.

Yours is nice, but mine has tracks behind it, so there.

Candy_Streeter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  11:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a cute little building...and tracks too!
The brewing company is in Detroit and the picture is from 1905. Look at the sign printing around the building. It's really very amateur.

Edited by - Candy_Streeter on 10/13/2010 11:53:39 AM

DaveInTheHat
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  1:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit DaveInTheHat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The sign is in an art deco type style that was very popular in the 20's.

http://www.fotki.com/daveinthehat
http://www.youtube.com/user/daveinthehat/videos

Hawx
Section Hand

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  3:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hawx's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The crying you can hear is not the building calling out to be modelled, but yours truly bemoaning the fact that he probably never will have space or time to build this mining complex.

Sort of NGSLG stuff, me thinks.

This mining complex was the reason for the Thamshavn Railroad in Norway to be built. Some of you might remember my model of a engine from this railroad.

--
Remembrance of Trains Past

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  4:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny to see how the global shape and grade is the same as in an American mining mill, and yet there are these distinctive roofs so different from the plain - and oriented in the other direction - ones found on American mills. Great photo, and certainly a fabulous subject for the modeller with an awful lot of space.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2010 :  4:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Candy's brewery and Russ' alternative remind me of this Sylvan Scale Models kit: http://www.isp.ca/Sylvan/kits/1068.htm It's named after the late Irv Schulz, who was one of the best 1890s era modelers ever to grace this hobby.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  1:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy Moly, nailhead/holes galore!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spleenboy/143140086/

Edited by - Chuck Doan on 03/28/2011 1:34:34 PM

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  2:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This building is in Camden SC. I find it fascinating the way it seems to 'grow' randomly.

Front/Right

Left

Rear

I brought what I had into Sketchup. I didn't go into the yard to get a photo of the rear that is hidden so that's mostly guesswork for now. Need to do that. (anyhoo .. that's the part facing away in this model)

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  3:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice Ed. Interesting roof intersections.
I note that the right side wing is wider than the left but couldn't tell if your SketchUp showed it that way.
The original 4 square design is visible before the added ells and the missing window above the porch on the left wall.
I'll be waiting for your model.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  3:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, if it ever stops raining I intend to go back and take pics of the back so I can get that right. Yeah ... those roof lines are crazy! I also need to take my scaling-ruler so I can get a good scaling on the structure.

Scaling off the front door (guess at 36") the building measures 58ft wide and 33ft deep. All those roof lines makes it look larger I think.

In O scale that would be 14-1/2 in x 8-1/4 in

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  4:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed, that’s an interesting study of a building that grew over time. Thanks for posting.

George

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2011 :  5:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll add a contribution to this thread. We came across this building in a small downtown section of a small city in northern Indiana on our way up to Michigan one trip. The building is actually on main street and has an office supply store on the front end. We went in but they wouldn't let us into the back area.

This use to be a Cigar Factory and the lettering can be seen on the side walls. I had thought of making this into a kit but I've just got too much on my plate right now so I'm going to share it with everyone. I do have larger more detail versions of these photos if someone is interested in building the Cigar Factory.

Enjoy.

Walt

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  5:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a Shell Gas/Oil distributor that used to be in Winlock, WA. I took several photos before it was torn down by the BNSF. I did have measurements but lost them in a computer crash. My first batch of photos were taken before the BNSF decided to tear it down so I had to crawl through the black berry bushes to measure part of it. I can get measurements from a model a friend built from my photos. If anyone is interested I will post some closeups I have.

It was on a shared siding with a reload company. I don't remember seeing more than one car spotted at a time. The siding is on a grade.

This seems like a nice small line side industry for small layouts with just a couple of tank cars.

Almost forgot to include this photo taken from a larger panorama that includes a lumber co. You can just make out the office building behind the tanks. A lot more detail in the yard.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

Edited by - NVNGRR on 03/29/2011 6:27:49 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2011 :  5:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I'm not a big lover of 100% corrugated buildings, I must say this one has a great appeal. Thanks for sharing, Kevin.

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000