Railroad Line Forums - Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Prototype Structures That Cry Out To Be Modeled-3
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3
Page: of 37

mlvarley
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  8:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
test photo post

Edited by - mlvarley on 01/26/2009 12:14:52 PM

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  3:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And thanks to Chuck, I found this also on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/backup1940/2534424550/in/pool-outtopasture/

And in addition, the photographer that Chuck linked to, had many more items on Flickr that would fit here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/imrickndakota/2535145294/

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Edited by - mabloodhound on 09/24/2008 3:20:38 PM

JohnJ
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  10:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave: Both of those Flickr sites are great. I saved them to look at later when I have enough time.

John Johnson

"I'm right 98% of the time. Who cares about the other 3%."

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  11:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,I came across this building awhile ago and finally took the the time to go and get some shots of it.

It resides in the village of Ayr,Ontario,Canada. I thought it was pretty neat with the brick facade and the wooden side and back walls enjoy.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  12:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

That is indeed an interesting structure. It is not that often that you see brick front and wood sided buildings in this area.

BTW, I hope that they have that upper door nailed shut - the one in the last photo.

Oliver W. Jr.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  6:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Oliver W. Jr.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote

This is the old station at Silver Springs, Florida. It was a combination depot that served trains on the land side, and steamboats on the water side. Silver Springs is still a moderately popular destination; the present-day ticket booth now stands in the former location of the depot.

Here is a somewhat earlier photograph of the station with the Hart Line steamer Okeehumkee docked. Silver Springs is the source of the Ocklawaha river, and a trip up the river to the springs was a very popular tourist activity from the end of Mr. Lincoln's war until Mr. Wilson got his war. Because the river is very narrow, winding, and overgrown, the Ocklawaha steamers were a unique design that had a single paddlewheel mounted inboard. Photos of the front of the boats are not scarce, since a purchasing a group photo of one's tour group was very much the fashion. Other documentation (plan drawings, colors used, and interior photos, for example) is sadly lacking, although plans exist for the most recent iterations of the boats, which were rebuilt at intervals. The station appears to have a different color scheme in this early photo, and it looks like there's some decorative metal trim on the perimeter of the roof.

This photo shows two steamers docked at the station, including Col. Hart's Hiawatha, one of the last of the Ocklawaha steamers, built ca. 1900. A passenger train and a lonely Atlantic Coast Despatch ventilated boxcar occupy the tracks on the land side. The station appears to have been repainted once more in a darker color. I love that standing-seam mansard roof!

This is the Federal boathouse that once stood along Bay Street at the foot of Ocean Street on the riverfront in Jacksonville. The photo is circa 1864-'65. I have no idea what that white parasol is doing there. The guard looks like a boy the way the uniform hangs off him. My guess is that the structure was painted an oxide red/brown, but I have no way to know for sure. Notice how the clapboards are not perfectly aligned on that front corner? One wonders why the shutters are all buttoned up, except for that one on the second floor, and I guess the second floor doors can't be opened from the inside given that the bar is outside. I wish I had some photos of this boathouse from other angles, I'd really like to model it.

Edited by - Oliver W. Jr. on 01/26/2009 6:51:13 PM

Oliver W. Jr.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  10:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Oliver W. Jr.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Florida also had some picturesque mining structures that remain unmodeled, to the best of my knowledge. Phosphate rock used to make chemical fertilizer was and is is Florida's primary mineral resource, but fuller's earth was also an important product. Unfortunately, I don't have as clear of a mental picture of how phosphate was processed as I do of the stages of refining precious metals ore, so in the absence of plans or at least a flow diagram I can't offer any guidelines or rules of thumb on how to model an accurate phosphate mine. I do know that after the raw rock was dug, it was hoisted into towers where it was washed and graded by size, dried, and the loaded into rail cars for transport.

The Alice Mine, located at Early Bird, Florida.

Illinois Phosphate Co. mine. This photo appears to have been retouched.

Florida Mining Company washer plant and powerhouse. The washer plant is in the foreground; the power house is the structure with four stacks in the rear.

The Port of Tampa was the main shipping point for bulk phosphate. By 1916, five large phosphate elevators had been constructed for transferring the rock from rail cars to ship holds. Four elevators were wood, Number Five was made of steel. The elevators apparently stood until the early 1970s.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  08:03:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oliver,
What a great set of photos.
That would make an excellent theme for a layout.
I know many of the guys like the rail/ship interaction and this is a great subject.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  12:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mine pictures are very interesting, Oliver. I wasn't aware of such operations in Florida.

mlvarley
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  1:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This building in Ellenburg Depot NY. Have also included a photo of the remains of an abutment located north of the building. My wife and I did some research and I'm 99.9% certain this is the remaining building that included the prototype for SRM Millett Creamery. The portion Bob based his model on was at the north end (right)of the remaining building and is long gone. I have more photos if anyone wants to see them posted.
Mike

DaveInTheHat
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  1:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit DaveInTheHat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These are ruins from the Ironton Rail Trail its a little north of Allentown, Pa. These two buildings caught my attention. I thought they would be good as in inspiration for something to do with left over parts or a screwed up kit.

More pictures. http://public.fotki.com/DaveInTheHat/pictures_along_the_way/ironton-rail-trail/

http://www.fotki.com/daveinthehat
http://www.youtube.com/user/daveinthehat/videos

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  07:19:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oliver
Thanks for posting ... what a great structure and the possibilities.
Peter
BCT

dmikulec
New Hire

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  01:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well...

this is as good a place as any for a first post. And I've been looking for an appropriate place to share this, what will be one of my first scratchbuilding projects. Taken in Cleveland, Ohio sometime in the early 30s. A good portion of it will have to be freelanced but it has some nice lines, and real character. IMO.

-=Dave

Edited by - dmikulec on 02/25/2009 10:01:16 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  06:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice structure. I guess you're speaking of the wooden one. The forefront garage would be a great model too.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  07:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave
Perfect first post and a wonderful prototype photo to boot.
Peter
BCT

Page: of 37 Previous Topic: The Gallery: Dec. 2018 Modeling Year In Review Topic Next Topic: The Gallery: Nov. 18 Interior Decoration Pt. 3  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000