Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Page: of 102

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  6:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to the Nantahala Midland on the new engine house.

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  07:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking engine house and fuel storeage tank.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  08:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  1:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being as I'm snowed in it gives ma a chance to work on my woodchip fleet. Thanks to a purchase from Jon (LandNnut) I now have enough flatcars. I just needed to add bulkheads and loads of pulpwood to em'. All the bulkheads are done and I've started on the loads.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 12/13/2010 1:47:48 PM

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  3:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good Mike
!

Cody

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  5:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cody!

Mike

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  7:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ditto to what Cody said. Mike, what did you use to to make the bulkheads? They look like the ends salvaged from some other flatcars. The SAL box looks good too. Looks like you converted to a low level end brake wheel and body mounted micro trains couplers. What part number couplers did you use? Did you cut the coupler boxes off the Atlas trucks or are those different trucks? Maybe Micro trains? What kind of wheel sets are you using? I worked on my Mainline and Siding kit a little bit today.
Looks like you had fun;
L&N nut
Jon

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  7:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon I haven't done anything to the boxcar. On the flatcars I used the floor off some 60' flatcars. Because of that some of the bulkheads have a taper and some don't. The ones that have the taper are the ends off those cars which gave me the option of two ways to install the brake wheel so I did some of both. As best I can remember from when I had some of my property pulpwooded in the early 80's that was true of the real cars. The bulkheads seemed to be made from whatever was on hand. They were in slave service on the Murphy branch, never went farther east then the paper mill or farther west than Murphy. They were VERY rough looking and while most were brownish red some were black as well. I removed all the wheels and trucks and replaced them with Microtrains #1037 (old # now) which is the truck/wheel and coupler assembly. I do this so that all the couplers are automaticaly lined up with each other and it is very quick to do. How about some pics of the kit you are working on?

Mike

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  8:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike is your property right next to the Murphy Branch? Was the pulp wood loading area near your house? I have not done anything photogenic yet besides what I already posted here:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30756&whichpage=2

All else I have gotten done is to cut some more wall framing pieces.
L&N nut
Jon

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  10:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pulpwood yard was in town which is about 10 miles from home. The closest trackage is about one mile, you can hear the horn at the one crossing if you are out in the yard.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  3:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last building of any size will be the pallet company. I have been trying different pieces and kits together and seperately and mixed and matched and.........................
Still hadn't come up with anything I liked. Then I bought a Hitzeman Feed Mill by AMB when Walthers had it on sale for $20. I combined it with a steel building I got from Drew and moved the small building from the top roof of the mill to the lower roof and I think I may be getting closer to the orginal building that has been added on to look I'm looking for.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 12/22/2010 3:22:37 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  3:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I'm once again getting caught up with your latest work. Nice job on both the lumber loads and pulpwood loads. I think that the electrical tape is a good idea for strapping. I'll remember that one.

Are you using any particular kind of twigs for the pulpwood? I've had good luck with both Hemlock and Mountain Laurel branches.

I like your mock-up on the pallet company. A picture mock-up is indeed worth a thousand words or something like that.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  7:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce! The pulpwood is mostly Mountain Laurel, Azalea, Maple, Hemlock, Hickory and Oak.

Mike

Catt
Fireman

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  08:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Catt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like another winner Mike.

Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
100% Michigan made

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/25/2010 :  10:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Catt!

Mike

Page: of 102 Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To: