Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Favorite N Scale Locomotive Mfg. Topic Next Topic: Museum N Scale Layout
Page: of 103

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  3:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Boy, that is really shaping up. I know what you mean about the foam colors being a distraction. It is amazing what a coat of ground (or grass) colored paint will do.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  4:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Tyson. How many tracks and how long will your staging yards be? If I ever get back to it I had planned on a removable staging yard at one end of my layout ... but I recently told Tiffany to expect two - one at either end.

Joe <><

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  5:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tyson,
I just found this thread, you are a speed demon and making very good progress. I will be following along to see your progress.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  8:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Joe there will be just two or three tracks in each yard. The yards will be about three feet. In reality if I want to just turn the trains by hand I only need two tracks at each end. The Southern would have a passenger train that would start from the west (left) end and return back and a freight would start from the east (right) and return back. The passenger would just be a loco and a couple of cars and the freight would usually be two locos and 4-7 cars plus the caboose.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 02/04/2007 8:30:40 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  4:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got everything painted one color and sat some buildings around just to get a feel for things. Not likely any of those buildings will end up on the layout but at least I can get a sense of what will or won't fit.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  10:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I see some of my hired hands finally showed up for work!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  7:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that my work crew finally showed up things can get moving again! The benchwork was rather distracting with all the openings and no paint or paneling. The budget doesn't allow for paneling at this time and this being the 4th layout this wood has been used for there are a thousand holes and dings in the lumber so staining is out also. I plugged most of the holes with wood putty and made the end panel out of a piece of scrap plywood and the panel across the lower front out of some masonite I had left-over from some other project. I opted for black paint as that doesn't draw the eye away from the layout. However by the time I painted the benchwork there wasn't any left over for the panels . I found some puke green paint the I had for what reason I don't know. The good thing about puke green is it is a kind of railroady color. It was used on a lot of depots and MOW cars and outbuildings and what have you. The finished project is not great but much better than before, it'll do for now anyway.

This had been a kids bedroom before and the walls are in bad need of spackle and paint but that will have to wait til warmer weather when I can leave the windows open. When I repaint the walls I will go with a light blue. Then down the road at some point I will worry with backdrops that will attach to the walls and not the benchwork.
Now I can finally think about doing something scenery related!

Mike

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  10:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks sharp, and will continue to look better once you've commenced adding scenery.
-Cody

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  10:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cody

Mike

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  10:56:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Tyson.

I like the cabinet and don't think the green looks bad at all.
Maybe that's because the Alaska Railroad for years used what is close to Reading Green for it's stations.

Wow!!!!!!! What you have accomplished in less than a month(yes I know you did some before you started posting) is outstanding.
Looking forward to the scenery.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  06:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson, you've got a lot done in a short time. Way to go. Should be seeing some scenery pretty soon. I like the cabinet.

As you think, so will you be.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  07:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, the efforts on the cabinet paid off. I'm also looking forward to the scenery phase of the project.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  09:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's looking good, Tyson, and it also looks like you've started running trains.

As fast as you work, the scenery should be done in a couple of days.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  10:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, thanks for the kind words. For the record that's still the temporary control panel, it will get replaced later but I'm tired of doing grunt work right now!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  1:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.K. I'm gonna start the scenery in the back right corner

This is what the furniture factory looked like and the angle it was seen before

While there is only 3" between the track and the wall that is 40 feet in N scale so all of this building (except for the part that goes over the track) will fit once in has been rearranged something like this

One of the things I'm going to be doing in an attempt to bump my modeling up a notch is to put "glass" in the windows. In N scale from 3 feet away it is usually hard to tell but when you take those close-up pics they do show. I don't like the clear plastic behind the windows as they look just like clear plastic behind the windows as opposed to glass IN the windows. So I tried some of that Micro-Mark glazing and am happy with that. I did the window in the upper left, please tell me you can tell (even if you can't ). I added up the windows in this structure and even if I don't add any more additions it comes out to 546 window panes , having done 16 that still leaves 530 to go. I should have my next update in June!

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 02/11/2007 1:48:31 PM

Page: of 103 Previous Topic: Favorite N Scale Locomotive Mfg. Topic Next Topic: Museum N Scale Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000