Railroad Line Forums - Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy
Page: of 102

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  4:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Mike, that depot looks terrific there. Nice job blending all the scenery in around the depot and the road.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  04:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great looking scene, Mike!
I've been watching for a few weeks ... looking forward to further installments! If anything I do on the B&KT turns out half as nice, I'll be thrilled ...

CHEERS!

Grant

"Who Knew Model Railroading Could Be This Much Fun"
CN&C - California Northern & Cascade On30 Modular Group, Founding Member
DWA - Diddy Wells & Afterthought Rwy

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  07:42:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Grant welcome to the forum! Please post some progress pics when you get a chance, we would like to see what you are up too as well.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 03/27/2009 07:44:57 AM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  11:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I got side tracked from the modeling. I try and run the trains from time to time as they would in real life and there was a couple of things that were bugging me. BTW even if I never hold formal op sessions on the NM I think if it is built to operate it will have a better chance of "looking" right to the eye than if the track just goes here and there. Besides why box myself into a corner and build a complete layout that can't be operated in a realistic manner?
Anyway back to what was bugging me . My interchange track could only hold 3-4 cars when 5-6 was what I really needed and there was no storage track for a small work train and the caboose. In this pic of the yard (huge isn't it? ) the empty track going from bottom center up to where it forks and then taking the left fork is the Southern mainline. The track with the 4 cars to the right is the passing/run-around track and the track with the caboose and 2 cars is the interchange. The upper right fork is the yard lead/NM mainline to Robbinsville. There are two tracks that peel off of the upper right fork and go off to the upper right. The higher track is the NM mainline to the town of Tellico Gap and the lower one is a pulpwood siding. The boxcar sitting on the siding in the upper left is at the home of the future Macon Pallet company.

I tried moving the engine house to where the pallet company was so I could put a extra sidng in for the worktrain and caboose. I looked at trying to remove/relocate other tracks/switches to make the interchange track longer and each new attempt seemed to open up a different can of worms . Besides a real railroad would never have put in more switches and track unless there was no other way. Then I remembered an article by Tony Koester. One of his yards was getting jammed up and causing op problems for everyone as a result. So to fix the problem he renamed the yard! The yard was next to a hidden staging so he gave the staging yard the name of the modeled yard and the modeled yard became a yard used just for sorting out coal cars or something. The result was that all the mainline and local traffic that wasn't coal related when right thru the modeled yard straight into the hidden yard and the model yard was fluid once again. No, renaming my yard wouldn't work but renaming the tracks might. So the passing/runaround track became the interchange track as well (and it holds up to 7 cars) and the old interchange track now became the storage track. I then ran (over the last 2 weeks) several op sessions and things went smooth as silk plus I now have my storage track to boot! And like a real railroad the problem was solved without laying any more track or switches (read no money spent ). Now the real question:

Does anybody really care?

Now maybe I can to work on the pallet company.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 04/28/2009 11:55:39 AM

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  11:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, I do! It sounds like you came up with a neat, practical solution to the problem, Mike.

Miles
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  3:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, I follow everybody's layout on even though my Mission Valley & Pacific layout thread is universally ignored by others it seems, no new responses in 4 months, the nerve!

I like your Nantahala midland and how you approach N scale is alot more fun than the guys with loops of unitrack I see on other forums.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  4:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike, working through a problem like that is actually enjoyable to me.

Miles thanks for the kind words and for the record I hate unitrack. As far as your Mission Valley & Pacfic layout thread I could never get my dial-up to load it. If you would be kind enough to post a link to it here I will be happy to try again.

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 04/28/2009 4:49:10 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  5:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The important thing, Mike, is that you solved the problem to your satisfaction.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  5:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Just catching up, great scene you finished with the depot.
I thought the O scale people were funny.
Larry

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  7:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True Bruce.

Thanks Larry!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  4:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, almost 4 months! I have been working on the pallet company some but as of yet haven't really came up with something I like. I will try to get back on it soon but I may post something on making trees with Joe Pye weeds first.

Mike

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  5:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, I have just caught up with your thread. Where have I been? Simply spectacular scenery all around. Yeah, planning for car lengths and track capacity can be a tad tricky at times. I recall when I was building my B&M layout, puzzling over a variety of planning ideas until everything felt just right taking into consideration buildings and industries. Once again, a great job!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 08/02/2009 5:40:25 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  06:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike but compared to your fantastic layout my track planning is pretty simple, you have yards that are bigger then my whole layout!

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  4:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a Joe Pye weed, it is a stalk about 5-8 feet tall depending on how much light it is getting. Seems to prefer the edge of the woods. This flower head is 18" tall and 12" wide, big in other words.

You need to wait until the following spring (a lot easier) for all the pods/seeds to fall off so you just have the flower stem.

I break off all the side stems and throw away the main stem as the side stems tend to grow at a right angle to the main stem.

Group a bunch together until you get the shape you want then use Elmer's to glue it together.

Mike

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  4:47:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While that is drying I take some WS's poly fiber and spray it flat black (cheapest primer you can get) and dip it in a bag with at least three different shades of coarse turf.

Then I start at the bottom and work my way up. It's tempting to just take a large piece and drape over it but then you would lose all that great branch structure! So use little pieces and just put them on the ends.

you should end up with something like this

And I tried to get a pic of it on the layout but with all the trees (it's center foreground) it's hard to see in 2D. You will just have to trust me when I say it looks great in person!

Mike

Page: of 102 Topic Next Topic: TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000