Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  9:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys,

Rick,
No worry, that is the first tree I planted and I was already tired of planting trees. Believe it or not I did not take a picture with the trees yet, but you can bet I will. Trees are not my things to install if you can't tell. I am glad I added a smile to your day. When I went back and read the post I laughed out loud too.

Victor will get the go ahead sometime this winter but first I will paint the primer, and mix the horizon line with blue and white paint.
I have read Chris (LVN) tutorials but I really think (know) I would be better off with Victor instead of me.

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  10:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, you need to hire Johnny Appleseed to plant those tree's

I thought the same as Rick...one tree and your tired...

Good to see your progress as always

In memory of Mike Chambers

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  11:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kerkhoff

I could not find the original thread Mike, but here is the how to that Tom put together.

It was posted my Tom Johnson(INRAIL).
The topic is making roads.

I made the roads using Highball N scale cinder ballast. I ran a strip of masking tape down both sides of the road to give me somewhat of an even edge. I took spoon fulls of the N scale ballast and sprinkled it down from about 12 or so inches above the road which allows it to come down lightly and gives a fairly even surface. It will cover the masking tape on the edges but don't worry about that. You will pull the tape up later. After making sure the surface looks even and with a small hump in the middle, I sprayed the road with water mixed with Dawn or other dish soap in an old hairspray bottle. I sprayed from high above first to get the surface wet so the ballast didn't blow away by having the hairspray bottle too close. After the surface got wet, I got closer with the hairspray bottle and really soaked the ballast. Next, I applied Elmer's glue and water mixed at almost 50/50 to the wet ballast. Keep the bottle close so it flows into the ballast evenly. If you allow the glue to fall from a higher level, it will leave craters and sometimes bubbles. Now here is the important step. Allow all of this to dry to where you don't not see the white from the Elmer's glue. I would even allow it to dry beyond this. I am not sure on time. I just sort of watch it until it is just damp and not really wet. Pull the masking tape up from the edges and tamp down the edges with your fingers or a piece of wood. The next step is to tamp down all of the ballast with a piece of wood that has a flat surface. This does not have to be really big. Lightly tamp down the ballast so the surface is smooth and not rough. Be carefull! The ballast can stick to your block of wood if it is too wet. The secret is to tamp with light quick touches to the surface of the ballast. It goes a lot faster than all of this explanation and is easy once you get the hang of it. I would practice first to get the "right touch." After a couple days drying time, I do weather the surface where all of the car traffic runs with Floquil Grimey Black and some Engine Black mixed in since the grimey black tends to be too gray. Whew! I hope all of this makes some sense

End:

I have not found anything that equals this method,IMO it has that grainy look of asphalt which even up close it looks good. I do like to sift it through a fine screen to remove the larger ballast pieces.

I find it's better to use something less pours then wood to tamp down the ballast.
Dave

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  03:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This mixed bridge is very interesting, and it looks difficult to believe there's something like that used today.
Nice scenery on the last pictures of page 86. I don't think you'll have lots of problems in getting a fine backdrop done behind it.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  09:13:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

That shared bridge is indeed interesting. Not something you would see on many layouts.

quote:

Adding small crossings like this adds interest IMO and helps break up long runs of scenery. One of the work crew says that there should be something like this every 3-4' to help create realism. I agree with him totally ...

Your picture sure gives proof to that statement. One ravine gave you the opportunity to include three great little crossings. Very nice.

Bruce

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  09:56:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I found another use for the goop that really works well.

The first thing I did was to sacrifice on eof the super trees I made earlier.

Tim,
This is great, thanks for the post on hot how-to.
Dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  2:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

I'm sorry, and I'm not sure you meant to be funny or not, but that third picture in your first post today cracked me up.
You said you were planting trees all day and all I see is that one lonely tree in the picture.

I hadn't noticed the either Rick! It must have been a deep hole he dug!

Mark

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  3:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good thing I have broad shoulders.

Oh yes! progress was not limited to just the bottom deck, the lime facility has landed in its home. It is not quite finished but it needs to be in place for next Saturday's op session. Some of you might even recall the the little GHQ dozer in the scene. There will be numerous photos later, but I need to call a halt until after the session.

This photo shows the cut to the right of the lime company. The road goes under the tracks and the lime is brought in by trucks. If you look down you will see the lower deck and the truck crossing the bridge. I might need to add railings to the short bridge, hmm I wonder.

I plan on cleaning up tonight but I might take a few pictures of some trees, just for fun.
Then again maybe one is enough.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  3:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Frederic, Bruce I will post some pictures on the prototype. The ones I want to post are slides and I need to scan them in the computer.

My oldest son and I sat right next to the river one afternoon watching the local switch out the soda ash industry. The trucks and cars was numerous that crossed over that bridge while we were sitting there. It was a fun afternoon, especially when pronghorn antelope came right past us.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  4:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
This is great, thanks for the post on hot how-to.

Your welcome!

Ken, It would take more than one Johnny Appleseed to make me feel good about the tree planting. Some people don't like wiring, with me, it's trees.

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  4:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks super Tim. Hope you can do a photo essay on your ops session and maybe some details re the schedule you run.. I would like to see that and get an idea how it all works for you.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  6:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, the lime facility looks right at home in that setting. Beautiful.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  9:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

What a great photo of the vista you've created. Fantastic blend of background and foreground. Wow.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  10:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The lime facility looks great in that spot. I hear you on the tree making....not one of my favorite things to do, either.

Chuck

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  11:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hope you have a great op session.

In memory of Mike Chambers

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000