Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 51 ]  [ Total: 52 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  09:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How is the best way to achieve a faded weathered look to a structure like this. I have painted the base coat a smoke powder black. I have heard that by adding white to the same color (thinned down) then spray it again it will give it a faded paint look. This process as I understand should be repeated, each time more diluted and little more white added to the base paint.

quote:
My 2 cents Tim. Try mixing light sand with your black. I am not sure about the ratio but I would think more sand than black so it is like a grime undercar weathered colour. Thin it down and dust it from top to bottom using vertical strokes. I would use it on a test piece of plastic e.g. a black rolling stock tank car to get the ration right. I believe this would make it slightly warmer than adding white to it.

Thanks Chris, I will practice this on a test piece. I know that have seen a tried and true method for doing this on the forum.

Here is the pic with it painted in its base coat.
Any other ideas

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  2:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Couple more pics, the first one gives a LP reference, and some lighter weathering applied. I used Chris method of the base color and earth.

2nd pic has some rust and base color mixed together and thinned down. It looks better in person than the pictures but I am still not quite happy with it yet. I need some brown and rust mixed together to give it more variation.

I will then do some very light dry brushing and call it complete. First time for everything.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  4:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it looks pretty darned good, Tim!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  4:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it will look just fine, Tim.

Bruce

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  5:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have some dark rust paint you can mix it in with the black and earth. As a thin mix again put it on a fine spray and just dust it where you want it. Really brings out the detail

Your painting look really good Tim.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

azflyer2001
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  5:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm working on an On30 water tank which has a faded/rusty finish. Please let me know if this is the look you're going for and I'll do my best to describe my technique.

Travis in Mesa

Travis Handschug
Gilbert, Arizona

Edited by - azflyer2001 on 02/06/2009 6:00:41 PM

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  8:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What a neat looking water tank Travis. yes I would be interested in how you achieved the look. Mine will not be as rusty but I really like what you did. Nice structure.

Chris, I need to get some brown paint, of all colors not to have. I did add some chalk in places and did a little brush weathering. I agree if I add some diluted brown/rust to add with the thinned base that it will work. I don't want it to be heavily weathered, but it was grimy and dirty.
I am pretty close especially since I did some extra weathering with a brush.

I took the tank down to the layout to see what it looked like under the exact lighting conditions and to my surprise it looks pretty good. Taking photos of something black like this is also a bit of a challenge for me.

azflyer2001
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  7:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First I sprayed the tank with a reddish/brown primer. I use regular spray cans but make every effort to produce a smooth finish. Once dry, I add washes of craft acrylic paints. The brands I use are Apple Barrel, Fulkart and Americana which are all available at Michele's. You want these washes to be uneven and molted. I will sometimes add a smudge of full strength paint then smear it with my fingers. The colors I use are Burnt Sienna, Red Iron Oxide, Teddy Bear Brown and Russet. Any other rust colors will due and the more the better. Remember, there are many different shades of rust. Rust color pigments can also be used to inhance the rust finish.

Once the entire tank is rusted up, I then apply several thin washes of grayish black (acrylic), starting at the top of the tank and working my way to the bottom. I work this color down the sides of the tank but try to leave little spots of rust here and there. As you can see from the photos, I left the bottom third of the tank solid rust.

I then applied a "filter" wash of Phthalo Blue (also acrylic). This was done to give the tank a bluish hue. I then added streaks of light gray and white (acrylic) to suggest rain streaks.

I spent about four hours painting and weathering the tank but am fairly happy with the results. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Travis in Mesa

Travis Handschug
Gilbert, Arizona

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  7:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim and Travis, both of your tanks look great.

Travis, I don't think I've seen one like that before. I know that military modelers use filters often. Can you please give a brief description of how you did it?

azflyer2001
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  8:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The filter is simply a wash (very little paint and a lot of water)applied to the tank with a wide, soft brush. The filter is meant to alter or tint the base color of paint. In this case, I wanted to tone the black down a bit and blue seemed to do the trick. This is a great technique to experiment with. Give it a try.

Travis in Mesa

Travis Handschug
Gilbert, Arizona

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  01:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Travis for the lesson. Your tank looks great.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  01:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, the tank looks great. I think your looking for some subtle weathering as I'm sure that tank was well maintained.

Mark

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  08:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  10:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone and Travis for sharing his technique.

Victor was here yesterday for a few hours and I thought I would show you a sneek peak of the backdrop area we are working on.
First up was to tone down an area that was previously painted. If you followed the BTS thread you would see photos of the buildings and the backdrop just looked to teal blue to me. I had Victor tone it down some and this is the result afterwards. I might even have him do more later, will see. If you look close you will see the first scratchbuilt tree on the layout.

Now its to the new backdrop, this is after the first few hours, looking back at the Devils Slide area. The main thing to notice here is the blocking in on the mountains to give some idea of the overall look. Also notice the sky, this was done with using little rollers and a broad paintbrush. No airbrushing has been done as yet, but you can see the gradient from top to bottom.

This photo is walking down the aisle and in the opposite direction. You cannot see it in these photos, but later you will see how I curved the scenery base into the backdrop to eliminate the 90 degree angle.

Boy I love that pink foam...smile. This area is directly behind the large cement factory that is located at Devils Slide, Utah. I finished sculpting the styrofoam after discussing with Victor the best way to tie it in to the backdrop. I need to spread sculptamold or something on the pink foam to fill in the cracks and then paint it a earthy gray base before next weekend.

Last photo I added a couple cobbled together cement silos so I could see how it was going to look. There will be numerous silos and large buildings when the complex is complete. Again notice the sky and the begining of the gradient and the dark of the mountains, were buiding drama... for whats to come.

To locate this wall or scene you with the other part of the layout. Look at the last photo and you will see the corner of the basment window. Just to the left of the window is the sun ray scene that has been posted numerous times before.

Hope you enjoy!

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  10:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tim,

The backdrop came out great, and the foreground scenery blends is well, hard to find where the scenery ends and the backdrop starts. looks like another great scene is in the making.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000