Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 58 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  11:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Tim! Yes, I for one am very interested in all aspects of the installation of your signals. I presume the electronics are already done?

I had started building heads for my signals on my layout a few years back and used the Oregon Rail Supply signal heads. Since I model the PRR, my selection is somewhat limited, but did find their heads to be the closest in size and with a little modification, looked really good when installed.

I also like the way you have puttied the babck of the head to suggest the 'box' for the light fixture. This is a detail that is often forgotten on so many layouts and what is usually left is the back of the LED showing!

Not sure how many of these you have to build, but looks like you have a big job ahead of you!

Mark

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  8:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Did you think I gave up.....nah. We got some signals installed and working and I decided to go down tonight and take a few pictures. After looking at them I thought I would share a mixed freight going pass Wamsutter.

You can see that our mixed freight has an all clear as he notches up the throttle.

Once passed the signal mast the signal drops down to Red over Red for any following trains.

As you can see the freight is passing through the interlocking section. This is the first Cantilever signal that has been installed on the layout. On the WB main you can see there is all clear signal, while the EB main is Red over Red for obvious reasons.

Overhead shot that shows the interlocking plant.

Looks like the bridge is going to carry the weight after all. This bridge was scratchbuilt by a Larry, a good friend of mine.

The mixed freight continues around the bend and passing Wamsutter. It will be long gone in just a couple minutes. That the way it is at this wide spot in the road called Wamsutter.

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  8:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is great Tim. Absolutely fantastic work. Do you have a dispatcher that sets the signals for the main?

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  8:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris,

Yes there are actually 2 dispatchers, here is a shot of the dispatcher room and panel I built.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  9:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see some new pics of the layout; we were going through withdrawal! The signals look super - they really add a new dimension to the layout. That's quite a dispatch center, too, Tim. Man, you've been busy!

csantore
Section Hand

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  10:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tim, its great to see more updates on your layout. I really enjoy seeing the pictures of your work. KEEP 'EM COMING!!!

Charles

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  12:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Tim, as always, you and your layout leaving me breathless! I love that dispatcher's room! Simply awesome what you have done there. As you know, I'm just beginning that project on a friends layout (nothing compared to what you've done), and I find it quite overwhelming. I can't even imagine what you've been through!

It must be great to see those signals 'drop' as the train goes by!

Mark

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  01:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Al, Charles, and Mark,

Your right Mark, its amazing how you can get excited about a few LED's going off and on...smile. The
signals are another challenge but I am starting to get the hang of things, I hope. We are developing
an installation system with the Tuesday night work crew. I get the signals built and pre-wired with a
short pig tail wire. The crew installs it on the layout and connects it into the signal system.
We are just getting started, and its going a little slow while we all get our task down pat. I m hoping
to get our first singal bridge in next week. It sure is different than doing scenery or building structures.
I am certain will get burnt out, on signal work. It can be rather tedious, but for right now, I am
enjoying myself and that is what it is all about.
I will go back and add the relay boxes and signal sheds later.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  07:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
Great job on the signals, they are awesome. I may have asked you this before, but did Mike Burgett help you with the dispatcher board? I know Mike as he is the dispatcher for one of the round robin groups on operate on. Very intelligent young man, knows his signal work!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  07:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Working signals certainly add another level of realism to the layout. BTW, that control panel is impressive!

Bruce

smason2
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  08:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

I've always been impressed with your work, and this latest effort is no exception. My only complaint is that you don't work fast enough!

Scott

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  08:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim...awesome work! The scenery (and everything else!) is really, really good. Hey, has your layout ever been in one of the modeling pubs?

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  08:27:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One other thing I have to say, I think it's rare to see a backdrop that's merged so well with the actual layout. Yours just flows together...practically seamless. Amazing work...

I copied one of your pictures that displays just that....

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  12:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Mike, yes I have talked with Mike Burgett several times and he has helped me with information. I also bought the switch legend plates from him. Very knowledgable fellow.

Scott, I need more time, better eye sight, skinnier fingers, and a DVD from Mason on signal building. Then I could get more done. At times I wish I could spend all day working on the RR, but then I am not sure if it would be as much of a hobby to me. However, someday when retirement comes...hmmm George, John, Bruce,Mike and others seem awfull busy to me, and there retired. I always heard if you want to get something done, give it to man who is already busy.

Bruce, I agree, but even if they were non-working singals, I like the way they add something extra to the look of any layout. The control panel was a fun project. All that remains is to write the code to get everything working properly.

John,
My backdrops are painted by Victor, who is a graphic artist by trade. Victor is a great guy to have around to do the backdrop painting. I am glad you like it, and I will let him know.

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  1:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

One great thing about electronics: they let YOU know when you are done. ie. they either work or they don't. . . . .nothing fuzzy about it like modeling.

Your pike is just outstanding, and you have indefatigable spirit, drive and talent to keep it all ongoing. And what you said above is very apt: 'If you want something done, give to the guy who's already too busy'. When you're retired like I am, there is almost too much free time, no real deadlines, and countless distractions (such as naps).

Stevie O'D

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000