Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  05:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truely awesome Tim!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  1:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all very much for the kind comments. I don't know about you but sometimes when you start a project like this, it is easy to lose interest and walk a way. Sometimes for years. Because of this forum and its members asking, commenting, and the "at a boys", has helped me stay focus on this large project. (large to me) Within the next few weeks it will be finished and the feeling that I will have to say "its done" will be a good one. So thank you one an all for following along and I look forward to the next project.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  1:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
To answer a few questions:

Miles the river was poured in two pours of envirotex. It should of taken 3 pours, but I mixed up to much and I just could not see throwing it out.
As for the thickness that someone commented on, there was a reasn for that too. First of all I like the looks, but the main reason was that I wanted the viewer to see the fish swimming, when they looked at the cut through of the river. I need to keep working on that, but I am gettng closer.

Ken, Great idea on the hobo's, I will see what I can come up with.

Mike J, What is next? I have a few projects I want to get finished, but then I plan on building Jennings lumber. The list goes on and on, but isn't is suppose too?

As I stated earlier I want to finish the current project and then it will be time start another thread for 2007.

Enjoy the New Years and be safe.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  3:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim, all the scenes have come together magnificently. Your backdrops are exceptional as are the bridges. I really like how the road bridge turned out with the great structure off to the side! Congrats on all you've accomplished!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

electrolove
Section Hand

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  2:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit electrolove's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim,

The scenery you are building is one of the best I have ever seen. But I don't understand how you can work so fast. Is there a secret?

C Laskey
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  6:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim
Great job on the scenery backdrop,and the whole layout.I just want you to know
that I enjoyed this thread very much,keep up the great work.

Carl

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  7:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must say that is probably the best backdrop painting I have ever seen, and the trestle scene is magnificent!! Jerry

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  10:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks fella's, I am really glad you have enjoyed it. I have been working on it more and a few more evenings and I should have it completed. I will post a few pics then.
After that it will be time for change and a new thread I hope.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  06:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, I am just getting caught up on this thread. Outstanding. You may have answered this but how did you dam up the pour at the end of the benchwork. I would like to finish on of my river scenes this summer and that has been holding me back. Plus the fact that the facia is curved.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  08:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ralph, thanks.
I just use the blue tape and afix it to the fascia. I put a couple layers on to give it strength. I
have had no problem with it leaking. The only thing I don't like about it is that when you go to remove it,
it leaves a sticky goo behind and you have to sand that off. My thougths are to use styrene, and then add tape
behind the styrene for support. One more problem is that envirotex creeps up the edges, which causes a ridge where
it meets the tape. I use a rasp file and sandpaer to take that edge off after it dries. I then coat the small area with
Future wax, or gloss medium.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  12:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim;

I have a request. Can you do a photo tour of your layout, I would love to see how all the scenes fit together.

Jeff

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  1:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

If you look in this thread you will see a number of shots around the RR. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11786&whichpage=1

There is another thread, I think it is call "A view of your layout room" I beleive you can find a series of shots of my RR in in that thread too.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  2:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. That's a lot of progress in a year! Nicely done, Tim.

Chuck

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  9:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chuck,

Its been a while since I have posted anything, but I am making progress. I am almost done with Phase III, this is to the far left of the mountain area. I wanted to post pictures tonight, but the scenery is still wet. I should be able to get several shots up tomorrow.

Here is one photo that shows the water tank in place. Looks like Victor is falling behind.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  9:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
The area looks fantastic (as usual!), but I do have one question... it appears that the grass just sort of "starts" at the end of the road - is this just because of the camera angle or is the grass growing over the roadway? Just looks odd in the photo.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000