Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: johnnycee6 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  10:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark and Bruce,

Actually yes and no for the scrachbuilt. I have all the bents made with nb castings, and that is what I was going to use. But a friend of mine looked at these bridges that I already had built up, and said lets try to use these. To my surprise they were close to the right size and construction. We decided to kitbash it and use it at this location.

So I guess you could say, its scratchbuilt on one hand and not on another. It took me most of the afternoon to try and weather it. So many places to get to and too big of fingers. I am not sure I am saving any time, but I am using what I have. Now what to do with all these bents I constructed, is there anyone that can use them?

Bruce, yes the bents were all made in a jig. I build jigs for most anything these days.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  8:04:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike J and others,

To give you a better reference as to where I am working from the mountain scene. Here are a few photos.

You can see the sun cloud scene on the backdrop, and the bridge is to the left of that.

The first pic is straight on with one of the steel bridges set in place. The approach bridges are from micro engineering and the Steel truss bridge is by Walthers. Bridge shoes are Micro Engineering too.

Sun/cloud backdrop with 2 of the 3 bridges set in place.

A view looking the other way.

You can see I need to build up the river bed to bottom of the bents.

Lastly, I couldn't resist taking a shot of the passenger cars going over the bridges I just finished installing.

C Laskey
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  8:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim

Great work.
Carl

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  8:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...bridge...bents... Oh, I'm sorry, were you saying something Tim? I was so pre-occupied staring at that backdrop I didn't hear you!

I know you are shifting gears here, but I have to tell you that backdrop still amazes me!!!

Oh, and yes, the bridges do look great!

Mark

Java
New Hire

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  12:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim; I'm simply in awe. Your scenery is simply amazing. Your plan/vision is inspireing. And I'm sure you're getting a little tired of hearing about the backdrop, since it was done by Victor, but.....damn. Does he realize he could easily make well into 4 figures per job, painting people's basement walls? Seriuosly though, seeing your layout in person just may have become one of my "lifetime goals".

Tom
Moose Creek RR
Rockridge Mining Co.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  5:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
As usual, some fantastic work. Always enjoy following your progress.
Peter

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  6:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim, the detailing in your bridges is superb! They help fill out one already incredible looking scene!
Looking back a few pages, the river's water looks really nice. You've really achieved what you were looking for there as well!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 12/08/2006 6:20:06 PM

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  10:23:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I finished up the trestle tonight and built the end builts which are not in the pictures. To make it like the prototype I had to add a walkway for the switchman to walk back and forth across the Weber river to throw the turnouts.

The walkway has railings on both sides which is not as common. I made it with similar size lumber that was on the prototype, so if it looks heavy, well it really is. 3x6 for the railing, 3x material for the walkway flor boards. It just looks like that used whatever was available.

Here are some photos.

I added the guardrails and weathered them and the bridge ties.

The guard rail ends stick past the bridge about 2 inches, I am not certain if there is a prototypical length that a guardrail should start ahead of a bridge. This is just a guess.
Is there a set distance that is correct?

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  10:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys,

Tom, I never get tired of hearing comments about the backdrop. Victor is a super guy and he is a joy to work with. I will let him know you like his work.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  12:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, that bridge looks absolutely fantastic! Your weathering and the rail color are perfect. I can't wait to see it installed.

As for the guard rails and their distance beyond the bride, I do know that there are 'standards', but not sure if that is something that varied from railroad to railroad. I recall seeing some information from a PRR book that addressed that very issue. Factors that were considered were the speed of the track, type of bridge, etc. For what it's worth though, if you came off about 2", I'd say that is pretty close. Looks right to me!

Mark

smason2
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  07:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Your trestle looks fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing it on your layout.

Scott

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  07:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, great job on the bridge. That walkway is distinctive, and helps identify it with the prototype.

Your guard rails look great, and the length of the overlap looks 'right' for a bridge that long. I have seen some guard rails stop right at the end of the bridge, some extend only a few feet, and some start some distance before the bridge.

Bruce

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  08:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done on the bridge scene Tim. The whole thing is so well blended.the browns weathering is just right.. it diminishes the trains and gives the impression of vast distances and being a part of a bigger world. Makes you want to park yourself by the bridge, watch the water flow and wait for the next train.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  09:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding work, Tim.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  11:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, I'm putting your layout right next to George Sellios on my list of "must see" layouts! Fantastic job!

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000