Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 56 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  1:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike for the question.

You can buy the silfor product a number of ways and various colors. In the scenery I just did I used the sheet kind, by cutting it up into small chunks (dime size approx). I also used the tuft silfor, and with this product you pull it off a plastic sheet and place them individually. Its time consuming, but I really like the results. Plus there is this whole new goop thing that has helped in creating the scenery.

The best thing I could do here is to put together a little tutorial as it might be useful to others on the forum. I will try to post it tomorrow.

If you are going to purchase silfor, my recomendations is to start off with some of the sheet kind (tall 8mm in late summer)http://www.sceneryexpress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SF72023 This color works for summer, spring or fall type modeling. You can get this in 5mm and 2 mm. You might want to try 5mm as well.

The other product is the tufts, which is an amazing material. My recommendations is the 4mm tufts in late summer. http://www.sceneryexpress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MN72723 they make this in 2mm to.

They make a pasture type tuft too and I have it on order. With this product I believe you could lay it down over the hardshell and virtually have finished scenery. It would be rather expensive, but if your are doing a small pasture or somthing like that it would really look sharp. I will let you know what I think when I receive it.

One other note is that silfor is not always available for quick shipment, so I would suggest you call Scenic express and talk to Sandy. She is very helpful

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  1:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Tim.

MikeJ

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  2:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll check it out, thanks Tim.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  3:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mike's, John, and others,

Do you think it would be best for me to post scenery photos and what I am doing under the scenery area, or keep it here?

It doesn't bother me that its part of this thread but we might get more participation over in the scenery thread. The intent of starting this thread was to share ideas and hear feedback, wheter it be positive or negative. I don't mind if I abandon this thread and make post in other, more specific threads that are currently started. I will keep my original Overland Green River Basin RR. thread for posting pics of the layout.

What are your thoughts??????

What are your guys thoughts

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  3:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can try posting some of this over on the scenery forum, but for the most part I'm thinking it is still going to be mostly lurkers who read and don't respond (not that there is anything wrong with that...). You've got nothing to lose and additional responses to be gained by trying - if it doesn't work, start reposting here. My 2 cents worth...

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  4:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim,
I would definitely post your tutorial over in the Scenery Forum as that forum will always be read since it is always on the page 1 if you just open the Model Railroad Construction Forum.

I would then post a link to this thread in the Scenery Forum for those who want more information and also to see what you are doing with the rest of the layout.

As for the other information you could either post it here or in the Scenery Forum.

You are correct that many people just lurk but they are also interested in the information.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  11:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I installed the rural bridge today and finished most of the scenery around it. This was a fun project and once the backdrop gets painted it should blend right in....I hope

Once the bridge was in place, I added some glue and applied some weight to hold it in place.

A few shots from different angles.

I added nut and bolt casting from grandt line.

Cattle don't have to worry about trespassing in open range country, but they do need to watch out for a train.

The locals have been out and sharpening their shooting skills

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  05:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tim, Ya better hurry and paint somewhere for that truck to go he might not like the "bump" in front of him.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  06:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Michael,

Your right, I think I will turn him around and head him off in the wild blue yonder.

Amazing how the photo's bring out my messy fascia. I might just paint that again today. Of course that won't help these photo's any.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  06:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tim, trust me with work like that NObody is looking at your fashia.

MikeJ

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  07:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
That bridge looks great in place.

Bruce

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  08:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I continue to be amazed!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  11:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Tim! Living in a rural area myself I can appreciate the bullet riddled road signs! Really nice and very realistic touch.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  7:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments guys,

I agree with the Methane producers, they are roaming everywhere, so I will elt the wander as they may. That silfor sure creates a lot of gas.

Do anyone happen to know if someone makes pronghorn antelope, as they are numerous too??

Tyson, I live in rural setting and grew up on a farm. All the signs had bullet holes, I might have been a contibutor once or twice. It was the thing to do.....sheeesh. I was trying to figure out how to simulate a shotgun blast, maybe somebody has an idea or a photo of how they did it.

Bruce and MIKE's, there is some fine modeling going on all over the forum these days. It's nice to see others work, and to be able to share a piece of my world with all of you.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  7:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is turning out to be a very effective scene and well crafted, I'd say.

Elliott

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000