Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  5:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Al,

Yes this is exactly what I am talking about. To make a great looking layout I have always felt that you need great looking track. I don't think it has to be hand laid either. Its all about making it look right for the area that is being done. Which is one of my points, it takes a different technique or weathering depending on the track use. I just wonder if that is going overboard, as it takes more time. If I had a smaller layout it would not be even a question in my mind, but with a larger one, it can be a bit overwhelming. (why I built a larger one I'll never know)

I just wonder if its really worth the extra effort. I know it will get noticed by some, but is my time better spent on say structures, or rolling stock?

Dick Kuepper
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  5:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dick Kuepper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim -

I am only a novice here, but my attitude has always been to do what is satisfying to me and not worry about whether others appreciate or even notice something. Having a hi-rail layout before switching to On30, I didn't weather track, etc. But I did a number of other thngs because I enjoyed the result, and often no one else even noticed.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  5:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard to say what your time is "best" spent on. For me, when I built my layout, there were parts that I dis-liked, but had to do to get the thing done. Like many of us, ballasting is one of them. Now that the layout is done, I can go back and "spruce up" areas, include super-detailing trackwork, etc, if I like. However, I find myself these days usually just sitting at the workbench, working away on another structure or vehicle model - the stuff that I've found I really enjoy. I guess part of it comes down to what you believe is "good enough" for you and for those that will visit your layout and operate on it. Since yours is quite large, perhaps the viewers may not pay particular attention to the various stages of weathered ballast, as they are too captivated by the overall layout.....

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  6:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim, Wow! That's all I can say about all the progress I've seen after getting caught up on the forum after a holiday away and being busy with the beginning of school! The road looks great with the guardrail and the drop-in section is amazing! Keep up the great work!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  9:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good advice Al and Dick, sometimes I don't always keep my own priorities straight.
Thanks

Mike, Glad you are caught back up, and I appreciate the nice comments.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  11:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Dick,

I am sure Tim feel's like I do as to your comment, It's easy to say you don't really care what others think as long as you like it but myself (and Tim i'm sure) can't feel good about the modeling I'v done unless it's perfect, you could say I NEED others to like my work.

It's a BiH being a perfectionist.

Waiting for the pictures Tim.

Mike J

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  12:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, I agree with what Al and Dick said. But to add to that, your layout is HUGE! The level of detail you've already added is amazing in itself but be careful not to get too bogged down with small details and hence, slowing down progress. On the other hand, this about what YOU enjoy and the results YOU are looking for, not anyone else.

On a related thought, am I the only one that waits until at least a base covering of ground cover is down before I ballast my track? I lay the track, then put in my hardshell. Then I paint and put an initial weathering of the track down. Once I have at least a basic ground cover down, THEN I ballast and do a final track weathering. My reasoning here is that the ballast should lay on TOP of the ground cover (in most cases), not the other way around. Not to mention, if your as messy as I am in doing my scenery work, you are most definitely going to make a mess of the area around your track and ballast.

Thoughts?

Mark

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  12:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with you, Mark...I've done it both ways, and it makes more sense, as you said, that the ballast would be on top of the scenery.....

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  02:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,
Actually I do it both ways, in the area I am currently working on its on a lower level and is going to have very little scenic form, mainly flat. Hopefully there will not be much of a mess of plaster etc. and it should be easy to get a good blend between the scenic materials and the ballast. But most of all in my case I am going to try some different weathering techniques on the track ties and ballast which would stain the surrounding scenic grass. Something I do not want to have happen.
I find that either way I do it, I will still go back and touchup spots that don't look quite right.
I know that was long winded Mark, but I really haven't found the perfect way to do ballasting , other than having someone else do it... I can hold a ballasting party if anyone is interested.

Mike,
You hit the nail on the head, in that I try to do things to meet a certain standard. It might not be even close to the best, but I try to make the RR look realistic, at least to me. With setting a standard, I find myself torn between the good enough and what I originally set as a standard. Its hard for me to compromise I guess, and yes it is important to me that others enjoy the effort. It is about having fun and I keep telling myself that ballasting is a blast

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  07:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tabooma County Rwy

Years and years ago I picked up a copy of a booklet George Sellios published on his scenery tips. One of the subjects was his treatment of flextrack. As I remember, he would spray the track first with a grayish color, then hand paint the rails with whatever rusty color he wanted, then, he would go back and randomly add different Floquil stains over the ties, so they looked, well, different. And we all know what great results he gets..... This the kind of stuff you're talking about?

Al, I wonder what other nuggets of info could you share with us from this booklet? Do you know if he would spraypaint the flextrack before installing it? I tried this once and when you use it on a turn you then have do deal with all the little spots that did not get painted.
Thanks Pat sent you an email too, thru the forum let me know if you get it OK?

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  12:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat, sure, but first I'll have to find the dang thing .....

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  10:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tm,
Just to let you know that I am still reading this thread and the backdrop thread and taking many notes will will be a great help in the future.

I am looking forward to seeing the new backdrop completed.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  10:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I would post a couple teaser photos of the backdrop that is currently being painted.

The scene with the sun behind the cloud is something I wanted to do for 10+ years, it is so nice to see it become a reality.

Its not near done but you get the idea of where were heading with this.

BTW...this is Victor my friend and backdrop painter.

The mountain scene is just off to the left.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  11:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yikes! Geez, Tim, that sun/cloud scene looks just too real! WOW! My compliments to Victor!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  12:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No way! Now that is some excellent work.

Mark

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000