Railroad Line Forums - How to make a weathered tarpaper roof
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Classroom
 How to make a weathered tarpaper roof
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: The Rusty Nail How-to by Christopher (Train Clown) Topic Next Topic: About the Classroom  

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  12:23:39 PM  Show Profile
Moderator's Note: The following tutorial was put together by Eddie Landreth and originally posted in his construction thread about scratchbuilding an abandoned station:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11334

I have moved a copy of the tutorial here for safekeeping. The original topic is still open for discussion and comments:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11334&whichpage=8

Here's a little demo I put together last night that shows step by step how I did it.

1. First, I used basswood for all the wood in the building, and here a piece of scrap I had that I'm going to use for this demo.

2. This photo shows the wood that has been stained with the alcohol/india ink wash.

3. Next, I started on the tarpaper. For this, I used toilet tissue like Wayne Wesolowski suggested. The tp in my house is the two ply shown below, so I separated the plys into single layers.

4. I started the tarpaper by tearing the single ply tp into an irregular shape and laying it on the wood. This is to represent a roof which has seen severe deterioration with the tarpaper being torn away by the elements.

5. Wayne Wesolowski suggested using Grimy Black paint, which is what I used as well. Basically, you are "painting" the tp to the wood here. I start at the edge to anchor it and work my way inward, making sure the paint soaks through the TP to adhere to the wood. I try to get the wrinkles in the paper to make it look like real tarpaper looks when it gets wet and weathered.

6. Here's the tarpaper fully painted and anchored now.

7. Next, started on the rolled roofing materal. For this, Wayne suggests using masking tape cut in scale 3' strips, and I did the same thing.

8. After cutting the strips with my Xacto knife, I tore the ends in irregular patterns to represent torn rolled roofing. I then stuck the tape to the wood.

9. After that, I painted the rolled roofing using the same Grimy Black color.

10. Next, I pulled out my drawer of corrugated tin that I've weathered using printed circuit board etchant and selected a piece.

11. I used yellow wood glue to affix the tin to the roof.

12. The construction of the roof is now complete. Next comes weathering it. For this, I used Bragdon's Weathering Powders. Great stuff! Here's a shot of the colors that comes in the set.

13. For this application, I started using the darkest color, which is like a dark charcoal color.

14. After that, I used some brown and rust colors as well that I have collected in an old Athearn bluebox. Whenever I do weathering, I always let the excess fall into this box and it just all becomes a catch-all color.

15. And here's the finished demo:

Previous Topic: The Rusty Nail How-to by Christopher (Train Clown) Topic Next Topic: About the Classroom  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000