Railroad Line Forums - Need Some DL&W Car Info
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Fallen Flag Railroad Forums
 Erie / Lackawanna Railroad Forum
 Need Some DL&W Car Info
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: DL&W  Ex-Troop Sleepers Topic Next Topic: E-L Tugs  

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  10:35:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Hey, Gang...

There was some back and forth over whether or not there was an express boxcar painted in the 'Phoebe Snow' colors and lettered for the Erie-Lackawanna. Well, there was and there's a photo of it in one of my Morning Sun books. Now, while sitting in my car sipping coffee and smoking one of my favorite cheap cigars, I was thumbing through my copy of Erie Railroad Trackside by Bob Collins & Larry DeYoung. In one of the pre-merger photos, there's an Erie diesel pulling a passenger local with a lot of headend cars. One of those cars is a boxcar painted in the 'Phoebe Snow' gray/maroon colors and appears to be a 40' box used as an express boxcar. Anybody know anything about these cars?

Russ
Russ

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  11:03:16 AM  Show Profile
Russ,
I have one Lacawanna book that I will check tonight. Another idea is to give a shout out to Larry De Young. He and I happened to be in The Big Little Railroad Shop in Hillsborough, NJ at the same time last year, and the owner, knowing that my last name was De Young, introduced us. He is very, very personable, and would probably respond. He gave me his card, which I will look for. I think that there was an e-mail address on it.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  11:03:16 AM  Show Profile
Russ,
I have one Lacawanna book that I will check tonight. Another idea is to give a shout out to Larry De Young. He and I happened to be in The Big Little Railroad Shop in Hillsborough, NJ at the same time last year, and the owner, knowing that my last name was De Young, introduced us. He is very, very personable, and would probably respond. He gave me his card, which I will look for. I think that there was an e-mail address on it.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  11:07:23 AM  Show Profile
Russ,
I looked through my Lackawanna book last night (Lacawanna Railroad Trackside by Mike Del Vecchio - Morning Sun Books).

There were plenty of pictures of the roundtop express cars in the Phoebe Snow gray/maroon colors, but none of the 40' box.

I did find one reference to them, which I will include here.

"The Lacawanna had a fleet of 80 round roof baggage cars made in the 1920's by three builders: Pullman, American Car & Foundry, and the Pressed Steel Car Co. ... A group of 30 clerestory baggage cars, a group of 11 former U.S. Army troop sleepers, and one baggage car converted from a Boonton Line coach, rounded out the fleet until the delivery of the express boxcars of the 1950's."

Just a little more info to mull over. Since the express boxcars were so new when the merger occurred, it wouldn't be hard to imagine them slapping on the E-L logo.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  11:07:23 AM  Show Profile
Russ,
I looked through my Lackawanna book last night (Lacawanna Railroad Trackside by Mike Del Vecchio - Morning Sun Books).

There were plenty of pictures of the roundtop express cars in the Phoebe Snow gray/maroon colors, but none of the 40' box.

I did find one reference to them, which I will include here.

"The Lacawanna had a fleet of 80 round roof baggage cars made in the 1920's by three builders: Pullman, American Car & Foundry, and the Pressed Steel Car Co. ... A group of 30 clerestory baggage cars, a group of 11 former U.S. Army troop sleepers, and one baggage car converted from a Boonton Line coach, rounded out the fleet until the delivery of the express boxcars of the 1950's."

Just a little more info to mull over. Since the express boxcars were so new when the merger occurred, it wouldn't be hard to imagine them slapping on the E-L logo.

Previous Topic: DL&W  Ex-Troop Sleepers Topic Next Topic: E-L Tugs  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000