Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 O scale 2 rail exhibition layout

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
danielb Posted - 05/09/2017 : 09:16:49 AM
Afternoon everyone!

With my HO Scale Exhibition layout now mostly finished (except for about a million jobs on my to-do list, but what layout is ever finished, right?), the attention of myself and my co-conspirator Ford has turned toward our next project, and the first truly 'joint' layout - this time making use of all that O scale stuff I've been hoarding for a few years.

The working title of the layout is West Box Street (please someone help me think of something better!), as a nod toward my previous layout, as well as the trackplan, which is a modified version of Shortliner's Box Street plan.

The idea is yet again a heavily industrialised urban area somewhere in the South East of the USA. Georgia or Alabama, maybe? That's still to be decided on.

As a departure from my usual slapdash approach to layout construction, every aspect of this new layout is going to be planned from the ground up from the start. Ford insisted on it, and I don't blame him, going on my track record! :D

This will need to be bulletproof before the first piece of wood is cut.

A trackplan has been settled on, and thrown together in SCARM to check clearances. All track is going to be handbuilt, and will follow the "FUnitMad" approach of tracklaying for that added realism.

Here's the trackplan:

The intention for the layout is to have full lighting, sound, and animated features, and Ford has even been kicking around the idea of an automated (or not) Day/Night cycle to make exhibitions even more interesting.

Whilst the actual construction of the layout is looking to be a while off yet, we've both started working on various other aspects of the build - I've begun work on rolling stock and structure projects, and Ford has been working on the lighting and using Arduino to animate doors, roller shutters, etc.

Photos and videos will follow of progress as and when there's something worth showing. :)
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
danielb Posted - 09/25/2018 : 7:04:12 PM
Not a lot to add for now, I've been busy with other things. Ford has taken the centre module away to work on the wiring for the Arduino, and is planning to mount a dedicated power supply under the board to handle the next stage of the lighting, sound and animation for the layout.

I do have some photographs of some of my purchases from Seaboard Southern though. First, three TTX 86' flat cars from Jason Dickie:

These will eventually become tri-deck open sided autoracks. Nothing like making life easy, eh? :D

Finally, a Lionel(?) truss bridge I got for 10 from one of the other traders at the show:

I'm going to have some fun with this one when the next stage of the layout comes along. :)

More updates when I'm able.
danielb Posted - 09/20/2018 : 01:00:35 AM
Hi Dave,

The exhibition went well, I think the layout was quite popular with the visiting public, but you never really know! :D

We had a lot of questions from fellow modellers, and I talked the ears off a few people on the particulars of the Southern's unique and varied freight car fleet. :P

It certainly got me in the mood for the Winchester O Gauge Show next month. :D
Guff Posted - 09/19/2018 : 3:56:39 PM
Fantastic work, Dan. How did you fare in the Seaboard Southern exhibition?
Dave
danielb Posted - 09/19/2018 : 09:50:29 AM
Last night didn't see much progress on the layout, though I did finally manage to get round to replacing a broken truck-mounting pin on a Norfolk and Western bay window caboose, so that's another one to weather up and add to the fleet.

I also removed the cast on handrails and grab irons from a Williams centre cupola caboose kit and base painted it red. I also fitted some Intermountain (?) trucks. This will be getting some SOUTHERN decals to represent an ex-Savannah & Atlanta cab.

danielb Posted - 09/18/2018 : 12:21:49 PM
Mike, it absolutely does! Hopefully work and other responsibilities will lighten off enough for me to actually get in there this week!
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/18/2018 : 12:15:29 PM
Very comfortable looking layout room. I hope it provides frequent escape from everyday life.

Mike
danielb Posted - 09/18/2018 : 11:22:35 AM
Hi Frank,

The Atlas Plymouth is still DC powered at the moment. I realised during testing for the show last week that my powercab doesn't output enough juice for use with DCC Sound fitted O scale beasties. As such, I'm going to have to purchase an NCE smart booster - which unfortunately is 150 I don't currently have. So the layout is back to being DC powered for the forseable future.

That said, I've seen someone sound fit a Plymouth using an HO scale decoder with an MRC Diesel Sounder added to it. Thankfully I have both of those in my electronics box, so I'll eventually be doing it myself. :)
Frank Palmer Posted - 09/18/2018 : 10:30:34 AM
Daniel, that's the same 3-axel critter I have with the exception of a European cab. Did yours come with DCC or did you add it?

danielb Posted - 09/18/2018 : 04:09:49 AM
Greetings everyone!

It's been a while, but I am officially moved into my new home, and I've settled into my new layout room with gusto!

I now have the space to have Piedmont Blues set up permanently, with space to expand it around walls. I'm over the moon. :D

Taking advantage of this, I used the new space to work on the layout a lot more to get it ready for the Seaboard Southern Exhibition that took place last Saturday.

I took a few photos from the day. Enjoy!

danielb Posted - 06/06/2018 : 11:51:32 AM
Cheers Frank. I have to confess, I didn't apply the stripes. I bought the locomotive from a fellow modeller who had converted it to a high hood and painted it up the the Southern scheme. If I'd have done it from scratch, I'd have airbrushed the white stripe, rather than using a decal.

I simply painted over the Southern lettering and applied the S&A decals, plus the cab numbers.

The Savannah & Atlanta decals are by Microscale. There's one set in their pack number "48-328 - Southern Railway Diesel Hoods, Gold Leaf Lettering, (1960+)"

The sheet also includes 5 sets of Southern lettering, one set of Interstate, and one set of Central of Georgia, plus locomotive stripes and numbers, etc.
Frank Palmer Posted - 06/06/2018 : 09:29:13 AM
Off to a good start. Looks like you had a bear of a time with those white stripes.

Where in the world did you come up with Savannah & Atlanta decals?
danielb Posted - 06/05/2018 : 8:29:44 PM
With the RS3 pretty much complete, I've made a start on GP35 #2709 - it just HAD to be a S&A unit. :)

So far, I've added decals and then given it a light dusting of a light brown (almost green) Pan Pastel to tone down the black.

Got to build this up in layers, as the matt varnish sealer takes a lot of the pastel effect away. Still, it's a start.

I'm planning on taking photos after each stage of the weathering job so people can see how I do it. :)

When the Southern RS3 gets it's turn, I plan on doing a video of the whole process too. :)

danielb Posted - 06/05/2018 : 4:43:12 PM
Thanks, Frank!
Frank Palmer Posted - 06/04/2018 : 7:12:26 PM
Very credible.
danielb Posted - 06/04/2018 : 4:44:22 PM
For now, L&N #100 is complete. I'm just in the process of ordering some glazing sets from Jason Dickie, and then I'll need to save up for a new loksound decoder to go into it.

As such, I've started on the appearance of the GP35. I'll get photos as soon as I can. In the mean time...

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000