Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 293 ]  [ Total: 300 ]  [ Newest Member: Canyon man ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 FSM Jacobs Fuel Co - An old one still on the shelf

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
adrian_batey Posted - 06/10/2020 : 07:58:34 AM
I posted this build when i started many years ago here. As usual never finished and is still un finished. It took a dive to the floor at some point and resulted in having to re build all the frames under the bunkers and another other parts.

The office is also part from Bar Mills Husrt Boiler kit that suffered and eppisode with moisture. The card backing didnt fair well so i went bout scratch building a new one.

Anyway slowly getting there on this kit and i mean slowly due to number of years.....

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guff Posted - 07/14/2020 : 10:20:57 AM
A very impressive bit of work. Well Done!
I'm glad you decided to finish the project and post on the forum!
adrian_batey Posted - 07/13/2020 : 02:00:20 AM
Yeah i did make a start on the NBW on the supports. That was before the last build of this got knocked to the floor!!!!

I had to re build all of it but haven't decided if i do all the NBW or just what would be layout front. At one time i had planned it to be a long liner structure with the conveyor entering the end. Makes a nice view break that way for a back drop.
deemery Posted - 07/12/2020 : 8:08:39 PM
I actually moved the conveyor to the other side of the main structure, and did some other changes to get it to fit my location. I also used Tichy NBWs instead of the FSM ones.

dave
Michael Hohn Posted - 07/12/2020 : 7:47:06 PM
Adrian,

That almost flat roof you mention is what would cause me to use something other than metal. But, one can be too particular.

Mike
adrian_batey Posted - 07/12/2020 : 6:52:45 PM
Thanks Mike,

My thoughts hesitation for the metal roof at the moment is the lower angle above the upper window. But i know from modern roofing we install them on anything greater than 5deg pitch. Lower than that causes a wicking effect back up the corrugations when it rains.

Dave, I changed the kit shingles out for rusty stumps ones if i recall (was a long time ago now). Its a good observation about the fire risk of wood though. Would make a nice fire if something like this went up in flames. I notice the conveyor supports on yours don't have the bunker. Any thoughts behind this? I had a feeling they were too close to the track for me.

Im interested to know what the difference in tarpaper coloring comes from? is it just painting or actually to do with the material. We dont use it in Australia that i know of so im not familiar with the varieties at all. Im thinking i can use carson paper from the art store and get back into this build if i use tarpaper

I think i managed to blend in those lines in the scenery base.
Dutchman Posted - 07/12/2020 : 11:05:35 AM
The scenery base is looking good, Adrian. Your efforts are paying off.

deemery Posted - 07/12/2020 : 09:26:14 AM
I like the detailing you've done on this.

For what it's worth, I replaced the FSM kit shingles with slate shingles on both the main structure and the shed roof. That was probably overkill on the shed roof. My rationale was that wood shingles could be a bit of a fire hazard, and there's a slate quarry on the line so everyone should be a customer :-) :-)

dave
Michael Hohn Posted - 07/12/2020 : 08:43:56 AM
Adrian,

Tar paper is appropriate for flat or gabled roofs. Shingles, tar paper and raised seam metal are all appropriate for the gabled roof and would look good. The metal would not be copper. It would be painted black, red or green.

I would have a hard time deciding if it were my model. Id probably opt for tar paper.

Mike
adrian_batey Posted - 07/12/2020 : 07:36:34 AM
I was reading a few comments about the limited activity of the forum so thought i should update this build topic among others. This build is back on the shelf until i decide ona roofing material for the office.

Any thoughts? tar paper, ribbed seam copper, corrugated, shingles ect i'm not sure. I would like to try copper roofing but haven't seen many prototype pics. My limited knowledge on the subject may be problematic in my image searching..

Anyway loading dock has a roof and some coal loaded up. the roof is designed in the kit to extend across the whole structure but i decided to split it at the end of the second bin.

Detailing a small storage area with various castings.

The last bin that i think was overlooked in the design possibly. not sure about the access in there with a loading dock as well. I figure my coal loader could squeeze in there maybe..

Two of my own castings from a master. these were seconds due to air bubbles but they are somewhat hidden and thought they will do the trick tucked in here

And lastly some scenery and ground cover. Please ignore the lack of NBW details on the timber joints. Ill get to them one day...

adrian_batey Posted - 06/13/2020 : 5:50:04 PM
Thanks Michael,

I wanted to go back with the wet water and do a bit more but was getting disheartened. to my surprise it looks good to me once all the elements are in.

Building supplies would work well. The front windows are rather large and i wanted to add something to look at on the interior back wall to trick the eye. I have lumber rack that was from a bar mills kit that may fit in the scene. Might go dig it out today and see if it fits the scene.

Always have the option of a seporate lumber storage to be added on the lead in track.
Michael Hohn Posted - 06/13/2020 : 10:16:34 AM
Adrien,

Ive had problems with ground materials not blending very well. I will sometimes go back and wet an area down with my spritzer of wet water and add dilute glue and more dirt etc.

Coal dealers were often combined with other businesses such as lumber yards and feed and grain dealers. Hardware would be another possibility. Would need to be modest in size to fit your module. I think a hardware store could fit in your office building.

Mike
adrian_batey Posted - 06/13/2020 : 01:07:31 AM
In addition to the above I worked on the office building.

The windows and parts come from Bar Mills Hursts Boiler and Welding. In the rebuild I broke the window mullions on the front door.
I fixed this after adding clear styrene then new timber to it.

I also worked on the roof window. My original build of this kit had the window installed incorrectly and just never looked square. I framed out the older laser cut window parts and added the small wall sections. Appears to have worked for now. Adding the roof material will be the deciding factor.

The ties are down for the track. now and later i will paint and weather them. The rear of hursts building has a lean to with a loading platform on the original. It was a tar paper structure with timber batten. I plan to reinstate this with the dock up against the track for some small freight. Not sure what that will be for a coal / fuel supply dealer??

I had a Walthers coal conveyor in my details store. It needs some more painting but on the right track. You can see the black chalk here masking another dividing line in the scenery layers but the conveyor will add to the distraction.

Also starting on some details from various suppliers including some of my own cast from scratch built masters (on the top right)

adrian_batey Posted - 06/13/2020 : 12:46:40 AM
Thanks for the comments and motivation. Has generated some enthusiasm.

Firstly I mentioned some the issue I had with the layers of scenic material. A sandlewood color grout with real dirt mixed in, fine cinders, real coal and powders. I used alcohol and wet water to try bend it but the weathering powders created clear lines.

What you see here is pictures after several weeks of drying. A clear line in the sand so to speak.

The major lines occur under the structure so not a real drama. I decided to attempt blending with more chalk and that seems to have worked.

Frank Palmer Posted - 06/11/2020 : 10:58:47 AM

BEAUTIFUL !!!
robert goslin Posted - 06/10/2020 : 7:55:25 PM
Looks great. That sure is an imposing structure.
Bring on the scenery.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000