Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 60 ]  [ Newest Member: John Prizzi ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
railman28 Posted - 06/12/2012 : 02:00:55 AM
Most of this spring I've spent my hobby time on procurement and planning. My layout is about 23 years old and needs some love. It needs its scenery refreshed, a good cleaning, buildings repaired and track maintenance. All of which has been delayed by the knowledge that I wanted to change a few things to ease maintenance, improve running, improve presentation and be more correct for my time period. The biggest change to make the layout correct for my time period will be to replace all turnouts to stub points. But here is what my current track plan kinda looks like;

The layout layout currently doesn't have any Three way switches on it. This drawing was a planning sketch that most accurately shows my original layout.
This is what I hope it will become;

As you can see the most obvious change is the orientation of the turntable roundhouse. But also the passing track at Beaver Hill has been moved so that the south turnout is reachable for maintenance. The same reasoning lead to the log dump entry being moved.
This next view won't impress any of the fine craftsman here but it show me testing these drawing on the layout to see if they would actually work. It appears that they will;

The next step is to see exactly how much room my new turntable will take. So I will now take time to build it and escape the mud bog that planning can become. I'm using Freshwater Models' Sellers Turntable kit. Here's a progress shot;

As this kit is no longer made and Dave and Craig have already ran detailed building treads on this kit (which I have found very helpful) I'll just share progress shots here and then.
Any and all comments are welcomed.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
railman28 Posted - 03/21/2019 : 8:25:08 PM
Thanks Guys,
I need some brutal honesty here. I got the test print of the new Boiler drawn in Fusion 360. What looks good and what doesn't?

Bob

Michael Hohn Posted - 03/21/2019 : 11:59:36 AM
Smart: thinking ahead.
Frank Palmer Posted - 03/21/2019 : 11:19:14 AM
Moving right along.
OK Hogger Posted - 03/20/2019 : 9:45:21 PM

You sly devil, you!

Andre
railman28 Posted - 03/20/2019 : 9:40:01 PM
Work does continue. The fitting and fiddling the pieces together. Important but not too interesting or photogenic. I thought I would share the different way I handle the cylinders. I was able to Percussion Scale Models casting for the Wabash Mogul for my Mogul. Now I'm sure you all know that on single axle lead trucks you have to be careful with the spacing so the pilot wheel doesn't come into contact with the front of the cylinders because if the wheel touches the cylinder on the fireman's side a short will result. To insure this doesn't not happen I bought two Brass casting and one plastic version. Here how I assemble them;

Bob

railman28 Posted - 03/13/2019 : 1:33:00 PM
Thank you Frank. I really appreciate the support.

Bob
Frank Palmer Posted - 03/12/2019 : 09:52:20 AM
Bob, you certainly have come a long way. Looking great.
railman28 Posted - 03/11/2019 : 7:24:07 PM
Thank you Håkan, Rivets sure have to be Exaggerated. But I have found that things show up a lot better in the
brass print. They are there in the FUD, but harder to see. The sizing check print that I ordered a few days ago of the above boiler has bands as seen above and others exaggerated to see what works. One of the advantages of fusion 360 is that the program keeps a "timeline of your drawing so that if you have to make changes you don't have to start over. You can call up the original 2D drawing and change the dimensions or add something and it will apply the change through the timeline and the finished drawing. With the improved printing that Shapeways now provides I found that I can print screw blanks so that I can make Pin screens for the 3mm axle Ex-Balboa (Greenways)Drivers. I also can now with a few minor changes print my Harp Switch Arms in Brass.

It's a fun time to be alive,

Bob
masonamerican Posted - 03/11/2019 : 4:34:31 PM
The deck and truck look splendid Bob! I know what you mean by the polishing. I printed a tender deck which look liked they had taken a dremel to parts of it. It was well done though.
When I saw the bands on the boiler and the thoughts on polishing maybe the bands need to be exaggerated somewhat to make them looking good after polishing. The 3D model looks great though.

Håkan
railman28 Posted - 03/11/2019 : 2:06:59 PM
Mike,
Thank you for your perspective. I think you're right. The bands would of stopped the aggressive polishing but I don't think I would of liked the end product. The surface would of been too ruff. Which means I probably be printing the boiler in Brass again.

Andre,
Thank you for the compliments. I do appreciate them. As I wrote to Mike, on reflection Shapeways' processing will result in a better model. It forced me to improve my design, which lead to learning a new Software program, which is proving fruitful. I enjoy the "piddle time" at the work bench but the cost is taxing. Maybe I should set up a go-fund-me site (This is a Joke). The cost is also a motivator though. After spending so much (time and money)I don't want to stop now. Especially now that I'm so close to the finish.

Bob
OK Hogger Posted - 03/11/2019 : 11:08:20 AM
What you're designing looks great. What Shapeways produced for you (brass boiler) isn't what you designed. IMHO, there (Shapeways) is the breakdown in the process.

I admire your perseverance and tenacity. I would have long ago fizzled-out in view of the work load and sheer "piddle time" required by this project, as well as the financial outlay.

A tip of the hat to you, sir.

Andre
Michael Hohn Posted - 03/10/2019 : 11:18:32 AM
Bob,

It seems to me that the bands should make it obvious the boiler should not be smoothed by shapeways the way they did. On the other hand they might make what smoothing needing to be done very difficult.

Your new parts look very nice.

Mike
railman28 Posted - 03/10/2019 : 03:48:11 AM
Dave, you have got a good point there. I got to think about it a bit. Brass is $100 more each! I got to decided how much I want that extra Weight.

The mail man was kind to me today and I got more goodies from Shapeways. Here is the pilot truck, deck on the brass frame. as you can see they align up nicely. On the left you can see how nicely the deck print fits on the Precision Scale Models pilot.(yes the casting is bad, I have to replace it).

Here is the deck and PSM casting on the FUD prototype frame. I did check the clearance on a piece of track;

Here's where I'm at on the boiler;

I need to add holes for the various details and the rivet. I already uploaded an earlier version to Shapeways so that I can check the sizing.

Enjoy guys
Bob
deemery Posted - 03/06/2019 : 5:05:35 PM
Seems to me you need to have a discussion with Shapeways on how they handle the brass. It might be you can get brass without their post-processing.

dave
railman28 Posted - 03/06/2019 : 4:43:44 PM
Håkan,
Thank you. For the most part they do. Your comment lends itself well to what I want to talk about here next.
My Boiler has me all heated up. I counted 66 boiler drawing on my computer. While I could draw a boiler getting results that could be printed was another story. It was very frustrating to have a nice drawing detailed with boiler straps and holes for domes and other details and not to be able to pint it. So after 66 drawing I had a simple boiler that was printable. I planed to add details to it after printing using traditional methods. This is how the Boiler looked in FUD;

Notice how ruff the surface is? When I had Shapeways print this in bass I believe the brass print had these imperfections too. Now let us remember that most of Shapeways metal business is making Jewelry so they got the finishing tools out and smoothed everything up for me. This was the results;

Now you who are actually reading this, I'm sure that you noticed the nice sharp joint between boiler sections are gone. Replaced by rounded joints. Additionally they came out way too small. These prints are $100 each so I was a bit frustrated and yes, about this result. So how to fix this? I could not laid out Boiler bands that looked good or get over the lost of bulk. I knew that most of the problem resulted from the way Sketchup handle curves. As you know I went 3D program shopping. I used Youtube Videos to see which of the free ones seemed to handle curved surface the best. I liked what I was seeing in the Fusion 360 Videos and then I learned that it was free for Hobbyist.
This was my third boiler drawing in Fusion 360;

This print is in UN-FUD or is it the New FUD, it is is Shapeways' Fine detail Plastic. But, notice it's surface. It Looks a lot better, really good in fact. I attribute that wholly to the Fusion 360 software. The drawing needed no repairs to print. Now what I have intended here was to make a wrap to go over the brass boilers. So this print is Shapeways' minimum thicknes for this material, .01mm or about .015". To help printing I add a center support as seen here;

So I cut this support out and sanded own the remnants of the spurs and tried to slid it on one of the boiler (the one it was sized for as the two boilers are a little different in size) but instead of stretching for a tight fit, it broke apart .

Soooo I need to make a whole new boiler. That will be a lot easier with Fusion 360. But Now the question is; Do I try brass again, or print in the UN-FUD and add weight?

You guys feel free to be opinionated.

Bob

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000