Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nelson458 Posted - 08/20/2017 : 3:01:26 PM
I have only recently, after some 5 or 6 years, started building a small layout. Although I am not much into operations, I do enjoy a little switching, and have found Peco insulfrog turnouts just the ticket for me, easy to throw the points, very little wiring. In fact, I might have gotten a little carried away with their turnouts . My 5' by 10' layout, is more destined to be a large diorama than an operating layout. And that was my intention.

Soooo, that being said, I have always wanted a small facility for the engines, nothing big, an engine shed (rather than a roundhouse) and machine shop, coaling station and a source of water. Ever since I built Sierra West's engine house, I thought that might be just the thing for this layout. Since that shed is HOn3, it won't do well here, besides, I have plans for that later.

So I set about planning the actual size of the shed. I already knew from the beginning what I wanted, and where, I just hadn't gotten the track set up and everything 'sized' so it would fit. It will be about 13.5" deep, contain 3 tracks, and one off to the side. I'm building it on 3/16" ply, it is pretty flat now, but after I glue stuff down that might change, so I am going to re-enforce the bottom with some sturdy hardwood. The layout sits on 2" foam, so I would need to cut into that for the added strips underneath.

The engine shed will be built very similarly to the Sierra West model, board by board on a framework of 6x6 stripwood. Or maybe 4x6. The roof will be peaked in the center, and the right hand stall will be set back 4.5" which will be used for small engines.

So far, I made a simple cardboard moch-up to see how it fits. I am glad I did, as the two r/h tracks didn't line up like I wanted. I had a short l/h turnout leading into those stalls and open area, and replaced it with a medium length 'Y' turnout. That proved to be much better. Sometimes a simple change is all that is needed.

So here are a couple of pictures, a birds-eye view and a sketch of the front of the shed. I hope to start on the project soon, but with an upcoming trip to Colorado for the show, not sure how far I will get before the next weekend.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nelson458 Posted - 07/15/2018 : 5:21:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kebmo

you do some amazing fabricating.....

That's another way to put it. Thanks.
kebmo Posted - 07/15/2018 : 4:32:28 PM
you do some amazing fabricating.....
Nelson458 Posted - 07/15/2018 : 3:03:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

I agree with everyone else, excellent modeling!
Very nice tools..and shelves..
Rich

Thanks Rich.
Pennman Posted - 07/15/2018 : 1:12:00 PM
I agree with everyone else, excellent modeling!
Very nice tools..and shelves..
Rich
Terrell Posted - 07/15/2018 : 12:29:12 PM
Super nice, Tony !!
Nelson458 Posted - 07/15/2018 : 09:07:03 AM
Robert and Mike, thank you. I think it's plane to see you need quite a few to create a scene you can clamp on to, to create a believable look. Seriously, some of those I built, some are from Shapeways, some are from SSLtd. Took me most of yesterday afternoon. On to the next detail....
Michael Hohn Posted - 07/14/2018 : 8:41:57 PM
Egad. Your shelf and tools are just plane terrific.

Mike
railman28 Posted - 07/14/2018 : 7:42:10 PM
Tony, th ose vises and planers cam out Fantastically Great. Very sharp and impressive.
Nelson458 Posted - 07/14/2018 : 2:44:47 PM
I do have a few details done, many more to go. It's harder than just coloring a casting, and putting it in place, but the end result is not only unique, but you can see it's not a casting and has more of a realistic look. I am still using some castings, but modifying them a bit, sometimes by simply adding some additional details. And some are left as is. Here is my latest, a shelf unit to house the clamps and a couple extra plans, with some drill bits (auger bits) in a side case.

Nelson458 Posted - 07/14/2018 : 12:19:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Tony,
Just getting back to this thread again and read all of the great information above. It is fortunate for us that other members provide such exquisite posts. I will be following along with your project, as eventually I was planning on doing a similar building. You might want to check out the one that Carl Laskey built, too. I think it's on Brett's forum.
Rich

Thanks Rich, I'll do that.
Pennman Posted - 07/14/2018 : 11:18:10 AM
Tony,
Just getting back to this thread again and read all of the great information above. It is fortunate for us that other members provide such exquisite posts. I will be following along with your project, as eventually I was planning on doing a similar building. You might want to check out the one that Carl Laskey built, too. I think it's on Brett's forum.
Rich
Nelson458 Posted - 07/14/2018 : 08:52:46 AM
Thanks for all that Robert. Good info. So the other idea I had is about as plausible as anything else, that is adding another machine shop off the exiting track in the shed.

Adding an adjacent building to mine now would necessitate (can't believe I spelled that right ) re-moving part of an existing wall, but I might also give that some serious thought as I like the idea.

Thank you for your thoughts.
railman28 Posted - 07/14/2018 : 01:35:32 AM
In my studies I found a lot of verity in shops set up. The ups and downs of the business also effected the shops. I regularly found Driver wheel Lathes in Roundhouses between stalls with a line shaft being hung to power it. While the rest of the machine tools were in a dedicated building which often shared a common wall with the engine house. Often these common walls were (re)movable so the larger parts could be brought in to be machined. Quite often I saw the reduction of Blacksmith shops as there was more reliance on machine working and the introduction of gas and arch welding allowing jobs that previously had been slugged out in the Blacksmith shop could now be done in the roundhouse stall. Let me give you another specific example. The Sierra RR, they had a separate Machine shop, blacksmith and wood shops. The Machine shop shared a common wall with the roundhouse. They had those removable walls. The first stall of the roundhouse nearest the shop seemed to serve as a repair track. It has an overhead crane that runs its length. The layout allowed for considerable space between the Machine shop the engine stall. In the back of this area and running next to the shared wall was the round house's one machine tool, a parts tumbler, which works just like a rock tumbler. At a point in about the 20's or 30's The Sierra closed their Blacksmith shop and set up a much smaller one in this space. It is my hope that the above helps gives you license to do what you want.
Nelson458 Posted - 07/13/2018 : 8:57:08 PM
Dave, your right, of course. There isn't much room, and originally I was going to have it along one wall, but after adding some details, like benches, that room was starting to be eaten up.

Mike, well thought out. And you are also right, I don't want to be "bound to a prototype but you also want to build a plausible model". How did you know??? Hmmm. Anyway, it seems clear that a stand alone building next door would work really well.

The concept of a machine shop in the engine shed stemmed from the one by Sierra West that I built what seems like last year, but I am sure it was much earlier. I thought it would work here too. My shop is designed for a small short line railroad. So only small engines will be seen in it. A 4-6-0 might be the largest.

I had build one engine shop many years ago, late 1980's, where it had a full machine shop with one track on one side. I still have it. Used almost every machine SSLtd made. Plenty of scratchbuilt stuff too, like welders, desks, surface plate and tools, racks with odds and ends on it and so on.

An additional thought I just had (literally this very moment) might be to have a machine shop similar to that, with one track going into it stemming off of the one track in my existing shop that goes through.
Michael Hohn Posted - 07/13/2018 : 3:02:01 PM
Tony,

Sounds to me that you donít want to be bound to a prototype but you also want to build a plausible model. The enginehouse with a wall of line-driven machines or even a lean-to is something modeled often but in my mind hard to substantiate.

The shops etc of the Sierra R.R. at Jamestown is the prototype for many models. I think the shop is about 30 by 60 ft. The roundhouse is six stalls. A question in my mind is whether a shop this size would be found where the engine house had only two stalls. Some machines had their own electric motors and the line shaft was also powered by a motor early on.

I suspect you could have a small shop or a line of small machines like lathes and drill presses along one wall of the engine house. They could be motor-driven. Iíd be skeptical that boiler and stationary engines were used in very small shops.

I guess I rambled on.

Mike

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000