Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 74 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 three bobbers for the C&V

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bill Gill Posted - 09/25/2015 : 12:06:28 PM
The tiny C&V RR could operate effectively and efficiently with just one locomotive. Over time it has acquired a few more from various sources. Having more than one engine helps explain why there are two passing tracks on the road and justify having DCC :)

No. 32 was the first caboose gifted to the railroad and it has served admirably even though bobbers are a bit dated in our general time frame. Strict prototype practice has been suspended in favor of efficiency (another short car can fit on the passing tracks for some trains) and general cuteness.

No. 32 is a Bachmann bobber and was the first piece of company equipment to get detailed a number of years ago. Now that another couple locos are on the roster, the need for more vans became acute. Toward that end two Mantua bobber shells were found. They fit well on top of two more Bachmann bobber undercarriages.

This thread covers a few of the the things done and upgraded details added before the two newcomers joined (actually "created") the fleet.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bill Gill Posted - 12/12/2015 : 5:55:11 PM
Thanks, Geezer. The conductors on the C&V had to make do with a single caboose for a long time and they are greatly relieved to finally have enough to cover the daily schedule. If any of these got shipped to Las Vegas, or anyplace else, I'd be ridden out of town on a greased rail.
Geezer Posted - 12/12/2015 : 2:07:57 PM
Nice work Bill! You can ship them here to Las Vegas for the small
module I will be building. I like the marker lights and brakeman's lantern too....
Bravo!
My "mullyun" vote is to trash them....JMPO
Bill Gill Posted - 12/12/2015 : 08:29:01 AM
NP2626, Thanks for looking.

These three bobbers each have a crewman (actually half a crewman) glued to a small block of styrene that is in turn glued to the inside of the cupola below the window. The interior walls were given a quick light coat of a pale gray because from some close-up viewing angles the interior does show a little bit and I didn't want that to be red. The only other interior "detail" on #15 and #23 is the extended stove pipe from the roof down into the shell because it is visible through the end window.

All three shells are glued to the frames as there wasn't another way to attach them. They could have just ridden on the frame except I wanted to secure the end ladders to both the frame and the edge of the roof and that wouldn't work so well with the loose body. Wish I had found a simple way to make them removable.
N2626 Posted - 12/12/2015 : 07:30:31 AM
I have bought another Mantua Bobber off of Ebay. I have not scraped off the old molded on grabs and replaced them with wire grabs this time. This Bobber had small screws securing the body to the chassis and the screws do not have screw-driver slots on them and look as though they were pressed into the body. All I plan to add to the interior is a man setting in the cupola, no paint and no interior detailing but I will glaze the windows.

As a side note, I have never used primer on any of the cars I have re-detailed/repainted; or, built from unpainted; or, wood kits. I've never felt the need, all the paints I have used to paint them stick very well to the surface that they have been applied too. In fact, I have never even washed them to make sure the skin oils have been removed, despite almost everyone's insistence that these processes be done and I think my projects have turned out well. I'm a rebel, I've been building models for 60 years and know what seems to work for me. At the same time, I'm just fine with you doing things the way you feel they should be done. After all this is a hobby, something (I think) we all do for fun!
john holt Posted - 11/01/2015 : 6:51:59 PM
Frank.....send me a pm with your address. It will be easier for me if I just send you the Sept RMC. Plus you get the extras. Don't think this is going to be a monthly deal now.....John
Frank Palmer Posted - 10/25/2015 : 10:18:23 AM
John, would you be able to post pictures of the bobber. I donít get RMC, thanks.
Bill Gill Posted - 10/25/2015 : 08:15:43 AM
John, When that bobber appeared in ther Sept RMC my first thought was wondering why I hadn't procrastinated as usual with those bobbers so could've seen that one before starting. The B&O had bobbers without cupolas. I agree, having a fictional RR is fun because who can say what rolling stock might be used.
john holt Posted - 10/25/2015 : 12:35:11 AM
The latest edition of Railroad Model Craftsman (Sept. 2015) has a very nice article on a Maryland & Pennsylvania bobber caboose. I hope to do something similar on my own Gulf Coast & Western RR. Nice thing about modeling a fictitious RR is adding different types of rolling stock not necessarily having to stick to any prototype.
deemery Posted - 10/23/2015 : 1:25:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NP2626

I just received an older copy of "Silver San Juan, The Rio Grande Southern Railway" by Mallory Hope Ferrell. This is a great book and my copy came with maps of most of the larger destinations and a Time Table. I also have Robert Richardson's Book: Rio Grande Southern. I'm unsure if the Sundance Press is the series of books called "The RGS Story"? If so, they sound very complete and extremely expensive!

"R*G*S Story" - yes and yes! But worth the investment. Best to keep an eye on eBay, that's how I built up my set of Nimke books on the Rutland.

dave
N2626 Posted - 10/23/2015 : 12:38:53 PM
I just received an older copy of "Silver San Juan, The Rio Grande Southern Railway" by Mallory Hope Ferrell. This is a great book and my copy came with maps of most of the larger destinations and a Time Table. I also have Robert Richardson's Book: Rio Grande Southern. I'm unsure if the Sundance Press is the series of books called "The RGS Story"? If so, they sound very complete and extremely expensive!
deemery Posted - 10/23/2015 : 10:21:36 AM
RGS is very well documented, so there are a lot of books to collect. The Sundance Press series provides mile-by-mile coverage, possibly the most thorough coverage of any railroad ever. (The only equivalent I know are the books by Nimke on the Rutland.)

dave
N2626 Posted - 10/23/2015 : 06:43:28 AM
Thanks Bill! Yes the above was my first post here at Railroad Lines, however, I have no idea how long I have been member. I guess this would maybe be an excuse to introduce myself. I live in central Minnesota, near the headwaters of the mighty Mississippi River. I was involved in both tin plate and Scale model railroading when I was kid, 60 years ago. I got back into it in 1988 and have been building my layout ever since. Originally it was freelanced and called the H.P. & N.W. (for Hard Play and No Work) R.R. I found a Main Streeter Magazine for the Northern Pacific Railway Historical Association, which triggered my interest in what was one of my local railroads here in MN and decided to drop the HP&NW free lance and go after some reality and model the N.P. Other than the names along the line and the locomotives and rolling stock, no actual places or trackage of the N.P. have been modeled. I am a long time member now of the NPRHA. I model in HO and my layout is very heavily influenced by John Allan with lots of trestles, bridges, mountains, steeper grades and tunnels.

Lately, I have been very interested in Colorado Narrow Gauge and in particular the Rio Grande Southern. I looked into tearing out my present layout and switching to N.G.; however, decided I am too slow a builder and what I have built so far (other than being standard gauge) is essentially like narrow gauge in setting. Where I to start over again, I would build in Sn3. At 65 years young, it would seem rather foolish to start a new project as I don't buy green bananas, anymore! So my interest in the RGS will simply be collecting books about that line.
Bill Gill Posted - 10/22/2015 : 4:36:42 PM
NP2626, Welcome to the forums. Glad you liked the bobbers. They'd be obsolete on the C&V too if its time frame wasn't so elastic :) I have parts of an old Silver Streak MKT caboose kit that was given to me. It's missing pieces but has supplied parts for other projects.
N2626 Posted - 10/22/2015 : 09:27:54 AM
I have three bobbers on my railroad, they are used on the logging and mining branches of the Peep River logging line which has trackage rights on the Northern Pacific in the Butte Montana area. One is a modified Bachmann, one is from Mantua and one is an old Silver Streak (I think) wood kit, I bought off of Ebay. That the federal laws may have obsoleted 4 wheel bobbers on my railroad is meaningless to me, as I own the railroad and don't need no "STINKING" laws!

Have fun!
Bill Gill Posted - 10/08/2015 : 08:03:54 AM
Thanks, Frank TCBB :)

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000