Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 40 ]  [ Total: 40 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Grubes Posted - 05/03/2015 : 10:17:57 PM
A move from NJ to Texas has given me the opportunity to start over and again create a model railroad based on the Delaware, Maryland, Virginia (DELMARVA) peninsula (or Easter Shore) short line formerly known as the Eastern Shore Railroad (ESHR).

This will be my 3rd try at an ESHR themed layout; the first was in N scale and the second in HO, both of which Iíve described here (Threads: Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge and Eastern Shore Railroad in HO respectively). I have a lot less space than in the past and this time around I'll try to grab the flavor of the DELMARVA railroad instead of trying to reproduce some of the actual sites.

I have an 18" x 11' shelf in a spare bedroom as my limitation. Attached is my track plan although I've made some very small modifications since to allow for more scenery.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to expand around the room in the future, and even if this becomes possible, there are a lot of doors, windows and closets taking up wall space (See diagram below).

The focus of the layout will be Willis Wharf; an actual small coastal town on the Eastern Shore just east of Exmore, Viriginia. The ESHR never touched Willis Wharf, but the town has the atmosphere that I associate with the area. This also gives me the opportunity to break away from my past obsession of accurately modeling the prototype and create a a visually and operationally interesting track plan in the small space available.

I'll be hand-laying Code 40 rail and use my experiences from the first Eastern Shore in N to prevent many of my past frustrations. I won't be laying tie plates like on my first layout, but will have scale rail joiners every as I'm a bit obsessive with realistic looking rail especially N gauge.

Here are some pictures of the layout concept.

Due to my work requirements and other obligations, I expect this to take a while even on a layout this small. I think that's one of the lessons of my previous layout; don't rush it, get it right the first time.

I have made some progress that I'll describe in my next posting (see first switch of new railroad picture below.) I'll also describe my disastrous start. Fortunately, that's behind me.

Hope you'll follow along.

Dave

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jbvb Posted - 01/18/2018 : 11:41:20 AM
Thanks for the pictures. I'm looking forward to your next endeavor.
MarkF Posted - 01/17/2018 : 2:17:51 PM
Dave, sad but exciting at the same time. Exciting because I know your next journey will bring about more exciting work from you. Your modeling is excellent and I always look forward to your posts. I can't wait to see where your imagination and skills take us next time!
Cowboybilly Posted - 01/17/2018 : 11:02:04 AM
nicely done i like it
Tyson Rayles Posted - 01/17/2018 : 09:06:12 AM
That was a great layout, sorry to see it go.
Michael Hohn Posted - 01/17/2018 : 08:41:22 AM
Thank you for the additional photos, Dave. Yours is one of the most atmospheric layouts Iíve seen.

Mike
TRAINS1941 Posted - 01/16/2018 : 11:47:51 PM
Dave sorry to here the rail has come to a stop.
Great modeling and scenery.

Looking forward to your next adventure.
quartergauger48 Posted - 01/16/2018 : 10:40:47 PM
Excellent layout and photography'..Good luck'..
Blazeman Posted - 01/16/2018 : 5:04:17 PM
Well, sad that this effort has been terminated. But everyone's hobby journey takes a different path. I happened to traverse the peninsula last fall to and from Outer Banks and many scenes along US 13 brought this layout to mind.

Thanks for sharing it with us.
Grubes Posted - 01/16/2018 : 4:55:25 PM
Posting to close out the Eastern Shore Railroad in N Gauge; Take 2. I am writing this in a good state of mind, not with sadness. Although I didn't finish the layout (didn't get to the super detail level), I accomplished something that I hadn't achieved in previous tries; I was able to model some of the atmosphere I'd hoped to capture from the first time I traveled along the Eastern Shore back in the 80's, and feel that the miniature version looked something like the real thing.

I was also able to hand lay track that was very reliable without having to worry about derailments and conduct a bit of operations. I've dismantled the layout and now am thinking about what to do next. My mind is wandering between N, HO, and O scale with each providing some benefits and limitations. Don't see it happening anytime very soon, but I have definitely not lost interests in model railroading.

So to end this chapter I'm posting some pictures, some of which I may have posted before, but some of the ones I like best. Thanks for all who've been following this thread for your interest, comments and suggestions. The support from this site is amazing and a contributing factor to my enjoyment of the hobby.

Dave

Grubes Posted - 04/16/2017 : 10:05:42 PM
Thanks Gary, I appreciate your comments. Not much done since my last posting. Hope to start posting some things in the upcoming weeks.

Gary from kent Posted - 04/09/2017 : 06:43:59 AM
I am new to this thread. You have smashed me with your inspirational modelling. What a great shoreline. It really came to life after the grass application went on in the 9th section. Beautifully sparing with the spread of the grass, so often it is overdone.

Love the barnicles on the woodwork. The overall scene has a great use of space to make it look real.

Congratulations
Grubes Posted - 03/24/2017 : 11:06:29 PM
Thanks George. Hadn't watched it in a long time. Amazing that the operations are still very similar. I wonder how much longer it will survive.

I appreciate you thinking of me.

Dave
George D Posted - 03/19/2017 : 4:19:18 PM
Dave, here's a video on the Eastern Shore RR that you may not have seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMQx2fZEXck&feature=share

George
George D Posted - 02/27/2017 : 08:33:32 AM
Congratulations on the first operating session, Dave. It's nice to see things come together.

George
Tyson Rayles Posted - 02/27/2017 : 02:43:32 AM

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000