Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: crossbuck ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jbvb Posted - 01/31/2008 : 8:10:46 PM
I'm modeling the Boston & Maine's Eastern Route in HO standard gauge in my 207-year-old house's attic. The attic has its pluses and minuses - plenty of space, just up the stairs and finished, but the combination of the sloping ceiling and a 36" minimum radius meant I could only do an around-the-walls plan. Also, it can get a bit hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

The layout incorporates my Rowley MA modules, presently the only finished scenery, in the rural northern half of the attic. The southeast corner is where I'm building my compressed version of West Lynn, MA including the General Electric River works and the West Lynn creamery.

This photo shows the mainline curve passing the future creamery (spur under the file) and the Saugus Branch (long staging tracks) coming in from the left. I'm spiking rail on the branch, building the switch comes next. The flying plywood is actually pretty rigid with the flange below and the backdrop partially installed, it will get better when I bring the backdrop around to the left edge of the photo.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Orionvp17 Posted - 05/17/2020 : 8:55:26 PM
Sounds Good to me! I wasn't worried about wear as much as I was about dirt, which seems to have an affinity for plastic wheels....

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 05/17/2020 : 8:41:58 PM
Thanks, Pete. AFAIK all Lindberg wheels were plastic, acetal I think. It won't get much mileage unless a bunch of big layouts ask me to go on tour (sadly unlikely these days), so wear won't be an issue. But if it looks like the camera can handle a night run, I will be adding a nice bright LED headlight and probably different trucks (I saved the box).
Orionvp17 Posted - 05/17/2020 : 8:26:19 PM
Cool! Interesting design, and well executed. Are the wheels plastic, and is that a good idea?

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 05/17/2020 : 8:14:16 PM
The frame/platform of the camera car is .025 x 1" stainless strip from K&S. I got my trucks' bolster height with a caliper (I'm a sucker for Lindberg, shows my age, but I've never found a prototype car using 'National Timken') . The angles were bent with a 'hand seamer' (sheet metal worker's tool).

Trucks and coupler are attached with 2-56 screws. The body bolster is .040 atop .125 x .100" strip.

The camera is attached with a 1/4-20 flathead machine screw; I turned the head down in my lathe and sawed off excess length.

My previous cab ride videos were plagued by rocking, so I designed it fairly rigidly side-to-side. It hasn't rocked at all so far. The springing of the Lindberg truck is just right; the weight of the camera compresses them just a bit, so no bumps at turnouts either.
jbvb Posted - 05/17/2020 : 7:38:06 PM
So after spending 7 long days acting like a much younger track gang foreman, I spent some time on my layout. I've shot a couple of videos with this older 1080P camera (GoPro wannabe), but this is the first with the depressed center camera car I built:

https://youtu.be/TukvG9aqzS8

Tools will be put away and things cleaned up before my next attempt.
Orionvp17 Posted - 05/03/2020 : 10:34:39 AM
Nice catch, James!

Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 05/02/2020 : 10:37:02 PM
Thanks for the pictures, Phil. I think if I can get the tape positioned right, I might just paint the angle - it looks no more than 1/8" thick and two coats should do that.

Last night I picked up another long-untouched project. I need to model Bolles Motors at the corner of Winter and Merrimack Streets in Newburyport. I remember my family buying cars there, but the building was demolished and replaced before I knew I wanted to model it:

I found descendants of the dealership's owner, but all they had was the above, which I think was scanned out of a City Directory. Then, looking at a built-up Wallschlager Motors, I thought I saw in its bones an acceptable stand-in. It was assembled with CA, so it only took a little flexing to re-kit. And then it sat for most of last decade.

Last night and tonight I spent a while sawing and gluing. I don't have room for the raised rear portion with the 2nd floor repair shop, so the front and left sides of the original building will be all that's really visible. The back and right side walls are up against the depot's retaining wall.

Note to self: You'll be wanting the vintage highway sign down the road.
Carrie Creek Posted - 05/01/2020 : 3:14:35 PM
James, I have been thinking on your asbestos slate shingle corners. Here are some pics of mine:
a close-up about 8"

distance at 5'

straight on corner about 3'

I am thinking running a tape down each side a distance that looks good. Then taking a small dab of window glazier putty and roll a small rope and press into the joint using the tape edge as a guide. Nice thing about the putty it is paintable and will blend together.

Anyway it is an idea, use if you think it will work.
jbvb Posted - 05/01/2020 : 11:11:36 AM
Thanks, Pete.

Seashore Trolley Museum is doing a 'Modeling Mid-Day' on Facebook, so I dug up a cab ride I'd taken in 2017 and posted it to my FB (video is public, 2nd from the top of my timeline just now). This got me thinking about 1) a low-floor camera car, so I can shoot the whole layout, and 2) more/better scenery. Last Fall I'd lit the gas station behind Bexley Yard, but that section needed more:

My first attempt at chain link is certainly good enough for this viewing distance. I soldered the frame from .032 phosphor bronze wire. I cut the tulle mesh using a rotary knife. I applied a thin layer of Weldwood contact cement to one side and carefully set the tulle in place. Trim a bit, then airbrush Floquil Bright Silver. The concrete crib retaining wall is Chooch. At the front of the layout, I'd have made the substrate flatter and interlocked the corner.

This perspective is (effectively) from the roof of a 2-story building on Franklin St. It has some potential as a night scene, but I've got to get the gas station dimmed somehow.
Orionvp17 Posted - 04/29/2020 : 10:29:35 AM
28 Winter came out very nicely James! Well done!

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 04/29/2020 : 10:25:30 AM
Thanks, Phil. I'll think about how I could make an angle that small and stick it on.

Meanwhile, the 28 Winter St. house is now at 'layout ready':

My current project is detailing the removable (base is rigid foam insulation) residential neighborhood behind Bexley Engine Terminal. I haven't made chain link fence before, but many others have. I'll try it after I finish today's convention work.

Carrie Creek Posted - 04/22/2020 : 12:12:55 PM
James, my house has the asbestos shingles and there is a soft metal 1 or so angle bent over the corner,( no hard sharp point) nailed over the outside corners and caulked. There is no mitering of the shingles.
jbvb Posted - 04/22/2020 : 10:24:32 AM
I checked the peel-n-stick shingle stash; not enough for 28 Winter, so I ordered - due today, I'm told. Meanwhile, I've been looking at 32 Winter, where my friend Mike grew up, in its unfinished state since 2013. And the parts it needed were all together:

I'd stalled on how to do the perfect mitered corners I see on asbestos-cement shingled houses. Alas, I won't get that from BEST's 3028, at least not without much trouble than I'm already taking. If Evergreen made a clapboard with .125" exposure, the corners could be beveled and puttied, then shingle joints cut with a knife. But .100 is their largest.

Yesterday mid-afternoon I got tired of cutting, fiddling & trimming tiny things. I went upstairs to find something larger:

Railroad Ave. in Bexley uses Wills HO/OO molded styrene cobble. I had enough stock, so I finished the corner by Saulena's and Olmsted-Flint. The unpainted sidewalk is Evergreen 1/2" square engraved sheet.
jbvb Posted - 04/15/2020 : 8:00:57 PM
Thanks, Pete, George. I'm figuring out a workable plan for the depot interior as I look at prototype pictures. I also hit the shiny black stone with Scalecoat Flat Glaze this afternoon. Once I'm done here, I'll put the scene back together.
George D Posted - 04/12/2020 : 11:11:20 PM
Looks good, James. These old eyes would never see a 6" wheel.

George

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000