Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 208 ]  [ Total: 210 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The D&RGW in 1/300 Scale

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
speedbird Posted - 01/27/2021 : 03:47:16 AM
I thought it was time to share some photos of the 1/300 scale D&RGW equipment Iíve been working on. What youíre seeing here is completely operational and made its first run on the test track January 26, 2021. I started this project seriously about a month ago, but Iíd been considering it for the past year. This scale, 1/300 is just about 50% the size of N scale. You can see the Nn3 car Iíve placed in the photos for scale, and the schilling is the size of a US quarter. Almost all of what you see is completely built from scratch. There are some 3D printed elements like the trucks and locomotive frame, and some custom photo-etch work like the caboose ends and some of the ladders. However the rest was built by me. The boxcars, caboose, and reefers are made from wood (yes real wood), styrene, and brass. The locomotive is styrene stainless steel, and brass. The models are designed to operate on T scale track and uses T scale power mechanisms. Power comes from the reefer cars, where the T scale mechanisms are located. I built two for operational reliability. Those familiar with the D&RGW will be familiar with Otowi Bridge, and while Iíve built the whole bridge Iím just showing the main span at this point. It was easier to photograph. I had made up a set of plans for the bridge a while back, which was a painstaking process, and Iíve modeled this bridge in full in both Nn3 and 1/300. I have plans to start the layout very soon. I havenít quite decided how I want to proceed yet, but obviously it will depict the Chili Line north of Santa Fe NM. I primarily model the D&RGW in Nn3, which is another craftsman-oriented space. Iíve been threatening a larger Nn3 layout, but with the specter of an impending move, I canít start just yet. Iím sure some of you are familiar with my small Nn3 layout though. So with this 1/300 project Iíll be able to build quite a bit while remaining portable. Iíd like to thank Jesse Svoboda over at CCE Models, for producing the trucks, locomotive frame, photo etch, and decals. Most of these items are also available to purchase from him as we speak. Additionally the models are finished with ScaleColors paint. ScaleColors airbrushes like a dream, highly recommended! Soon I hope to have some photos of the layout taking shape. Thanks for looking.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
speedbird Posted - 03/08/2021 : 10:07:25 AM
No problem. You canít use Nitinol in a rope walk though, itís only for copper wire
Gary from kent Posted - 03/08/2021 : 09:48:03 AM
Many thanks for the tip Joseph. I have ordered some Nitinol to experiment with. I have two Maine sardine boats in construction, so I can see how they come out.

I have seen pictures of a rope walk and think I could make a simple one. Another thing to try !

Cheers
speedbird Posted - 02/23/2021 : 1:09:29 PM
I use about 6 different grades and types of wire, single strand or braided to represent rope. For natural catenary, the best wire is nitinol, but itís extremely expensive. I buy it in 25í lengths at about $20. But itís properties are second to none. Second, I use many different grades of magnet wire, mostly 42 AWG and 38 AWG. This stuff is extremely cheap. When I need something with a dramatic catenary, say for rigging a boom crane, but I need the driver wire to support the boom, I use tungsten wire.

To represent rope, I built a rope walk, which braids together 3-7 strands of wire to create a rope. Once itís finished and pulled tight, I usually use a copper blackening solution or airbrush it depending. I only use these on the larger sailing ships such as my HM Cutter Alert. The 1/1500 ships are single strand as the majority of their rigging was steel cables anyway.

I donít use anything organic like hair, synthetic or otherwise.
Bill Gill Posted - 02/20/2021 : 5:05:20 PM
The Alexander Law Collection of miniature ship models at Mystic Seaport Museum has a number of tiny models rigged with human hair. The models were built between about 1940-60, so the hair has proven durable.

I used hair to attach the mesh to the dip net frame on the back of the HO scale Woodie I detailed. (red circles) The handle of the net was also wrapped with hair (red oblong). The hair was coated with thn CA and then painted with a very thin coat of black acrylic paint.

Gary from kent Posted - 02/20/2021 : 09:15:24 AM
Hi Joseph,

I would love to know what you use for the rigging in your ships. Everything I try in N Scale looks clunky by comparison.

Cheers
speedbird Posted - 02/15/2021 : 8:09:01 PM
Thanks guys! Glad to be here
TRAINS1941 Posted - 02/15/2021 : 1:20:20 PM
Those ships like the trains unbelievable!!!

Your work is beyond words. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful work with us.
Guff Posted - 02/15/2021 : 11:35:18 AM
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to more of your work.
speedbird Posted - 02/12/2021 : 10:17:17 AM
Sorry, I didnít document construction on this project.
CNE1899 Posted - 02/11/2021 : 3:20:40 PM
Joseph,
Do you have any pictures of you building the box cars? I was curious about your technique.
I will be building Z scale box cars in the future.

Thanks,
Scott
CNE1899 Posted - 02/10/2021 : 4:25:17 PM
I agree with BreizhSteamer, being a newbie to both this site and model railroading, I feel quite welcome and everyone has encouraging words.
Especially given the level of talent on this site. I have been on car restoration, sailing, and other model railroading sites, and this has
to be of of the more inclusive sites.
It is one of my favorites!

Scott
Michael Hohn Posted - 02/10/2021 : 09:20:48 AM
What you write resonates with many of us Iím sure. In partial defense of model railroaders, if they are building a layout of some size, they are likely to be doing pretty basic scenery that looks good in general, without the scenic detail of dioramas. Having said that, it would be useful to see a clinic demonstrating some of the products used by the military modelers.

Although I model standard gauge railroads, Iíve attended narrow gauge conventions and I give highest priority to visiting narrow gauge layouts when Iím at NMRA conventions. I like the craftsmanship thatís displayed.

Mike

MarcusF Posted - 02/10/2021 : 08:35:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by speedbird

Thanks! Air traffic controller actually.

I kind of guessed something aeronautical, what with your username. ;)

Is the running gear on your loco for show, or for go?
spyder62 Posted - 02/09/2021 : 2:01:10 PM
Joseph
Totally agree with you, most are in a bobble for sure. When I'm at shows and mention stuff plastic modelers do and sites to check out I get the blank lights in the deer's eyes look. Ship modelers do some of the best water ever for one and as you say about armor guys and their scenery is right on.
rich
BreizhSteamer Posted - 02/09/2021 : 12:31:12 PM
The main reason why I only frequent these forums is that I haven't experienced any cliquish behaviour around here. Props to the users!

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000