Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Northern 4-6-2 H4 In Z Scale

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CNE1899
    commented on 's reply
    Rob,
    Thanks for stoping in and the nice comments. Being called a craftsman by you and others means a lot.

    Scott

  • robert_goslin
    replied
    Excellent work Scott. I have enough trouble with N scale, and really only use out of the box locos and rolling stock.
    But you scratchbuilding in Z is impressive. Very neat work. A true craftsman.

    Leave a comment:


  • CNE1899
    commented on 's reply
    Kyle,
    Thank you very much for the high praise. I am glad you are following along.


    Scott

  • kyle_creel
    replied
    Scott !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just found your thread. You're phenomenal; a true craftsman. I used to model in N scale so what you're doing in Z is absolutely fantastic. I had no idea you were such an artist, and with metal and fabrication to boot. WOW I say again WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be following along you can bet. Thanx for such excellent work and effort; it shows us to always shoot for the stars, 'cause even if you miss, you'll hit the moon !!!! Keep it up ..........

    KYLE CREEL
    SUPT., GM BCRR

    Leave a comment:


  • CNE1899
    commented on 's reply
    Bernd,
    I always appreciate your input and interest.

    Scott

  • Bernd
    replied
    Scott,

    Just catching up on your excellent work. Looks good. Love the dime next to the parts. Keeps giving the perspective of how small of a model you are working on.

    Bernd

    Leave a comment:


  • CNE1899
    replied
    Squeezed in some more time.
    I did a bunch of drilling with an .040 bit.
    Drilled the centers of the domes, drilled holes in the Belpaire boiler and running board patches, for a better bond with epoxy.
    Drilled the .078 hole for the whistle and valve on the Belpaire boiler,
    Cut out a rectangle from .040 thick aluminum, and CA'd it to the roof, to create a hatch.
    Filled in holes on the boiler, running boards, and smokebox, with JB Weld.

    Scott
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3490.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1004267 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3492.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1004268 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3488.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1004269

    Leave a comment:


  • CNE1899
    commented on 's reply
    Andre,
    Thanks for checking in and the nice comment.
    The scale allows me to have this hobby. Much less of an impact on the wife.
    Scott

  • OK_Hogger
    replied
    Wow.

    I can't imagine working on an engine this small. What patience and skills you have!

    Andre

    Leave a comment:


  • CNE1899
    replied
    Tyson,
    Thanks for following.

    Put in some productive bits of time in these last two evenings.
    I didn't like how the patches turned out on the cab, so I redid them.
    I shaped the cab roof edges using round nose pliers to fit the cab better.
    I wanted to securely attach the domes and bases, so I drilled holes to pin them with.
    You can see the .043 brass rod sticking up thru the boiler.
    Massaged the fit of the smokebox cover to fit the smokebox extension.
    The boiler needed some more details removed, so I filed them off and sanded it smooth.
    Next step is to fill holes and drill stanchion holes.

    Scott
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_12215.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1004122
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3479.JPG Views:	0 Size:	140.0 KB ID:	1004121

    Leave a comment:


  • Tyson Rayles
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • CNE1899
    replied
    Wow, June 28th was the last post. Time slips by.
    Well Covid recovery has allowed me some time to work on this again.
    I worked on the smokebox extension.
    I cut a ring from brass tube, tapered a second smaller tube to fit into the smokebox and inside the ring.
    Soldered the two together (rusty soldering skills), and cleaned up the result.
    This will be epoxied into the smokebox.
    To solder the ring onto the tube at the right depth, I modified my trusty piece of wood, by cutting a slot,
    added some Sure tape, and used a paper clip to hold the tube.

    Scott
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3463.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1003639 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3464.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1003640 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3465.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1003641 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3466.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1003642 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3468.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1003643

    Leave a comment:


  • Tyson Rayles
    replied
    I like the last version better. Some RR's mounted the headlight on the pilot which might fill in that space nicely?

    Leave a comment:


  • CNE1899
    commented on 's reply
    Bill,
    Thanks for trying. I figured out that the whole boller is sitting back by about a foot and a half.
    Since there is a screw hole that dictates the boilers location, I'll add a short ring to the end like Bernd suggested.

    Scott

  • Bill_Gill
    replied
    Scott, The cylinders look good. I'm not quite sure about the pilot.
    I tried to superimpose the original loco drawing over your model. The results aren't that good, partly because the model photo is at an angle and trying to straighten that out added distortion, plus the black & white drawing barely showe up over the photo. Adding color to the drawing and taking it out of the photo didn't improve that very much and gives a false sense of alignments and misalignments.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	loco overlay.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	998827

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X