Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No. 9

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No. 9

    Greetings Folks,

    Being one that doesn't finish my projects very often, I thought I'd show my most recent 'almost done' engine kitbash:



    It's a Jordan Mack that was stretched to fit over a Kato pocket mechanism. I painted it with Polly S C&NW green and added a little weathering. I think it turned out pretty good...

    -Cody

  • #2
    I'm thinking it's better than just pretty good. Great progess going on there!


    Louis L&R Western Railroad
    Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

    Comment


    • #3
      Cody, first - what is a Kato pocket mechanism? And second, can a decoder be fitted into that shell? I've got a Grandt Line GE switcher I'd like to do the same thing to it.


      Louis L&R Western Railroad
      Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice Cody. I would say that it is REALLY close to completion.

        Comment


        • #5
          Well done.

          Vince

          Comment


          • #6
            Great looking little locomotive Cody! I think the subtle weathering looks perfect. Any layout progress lately?

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks Folks!

              Louis, Sorry it's taken me so long to answer your question, Here's a Kato Pocket Mechanism:



              This one is slightly different than the one I used for No. 9, but only the side frames, mechanically the same. Kato also make three two truck types (part no. 11-105, 11-106, 11-107), again with only the truck side frames being different. I haven't tried, but I don't think adding a decoder would be a problem with them.

              Chris,

              I've sorta finished the tracklaying up until where I need to build a bridge. But I have allot of tweaking to do and a spur to re-lay, and some more wiring to do. I'll post an update on the construction thread soon.

              -Cody

              Comment


              • #8
                Cody,

                What modifications did you make to fit the Mack body onto the Kato mechanism?

                Jeff S.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Cody

                  Terrific all the way around!

                  Peter [:-kitty]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Neat critter Cody!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks again Folks!

                      Jeff,

                      Here's an under construction picture. The grey parts are from the original Mack kit, and the white parts are bits made from styrene sheet. From the kit I used the hoods, smokestacks and cab ends and sides. The cab was lengthened, there are gaps in the photo which were eventually filled with styrene sheet. I also made a new roof and deck. I think the pilot plates might be from a grandt line diesel kit, but I'm not sure. I used allot of squadron green putty on the cab sides and a little on the pilots as well.



                      I made a standard gauge Mack diesel a while back powered with a truck from a Bachmann GE 44 ton switcher ( http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=10392 ) I'd like to do another HOn30 version, but keeping the proportions of the prototype, because I really like these little Mack engines.

                      -Cody

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        quote:


                        Jeff,

                        Here's an under construction picture. The grey parts are from the original Mack kit, and the white parts are bits made from styrene sheet. From the kit I used the hoods, smokestacks and cab ends and sides. The cab was lengthened, there are gaps in the photo which were eventually filled with styrene sheet. I also made a new roof and deck. I think the pilot plates might be from a grandt line diesel kit, but I'm not sure. I used allot of squadron green putty on the cab sides and a little on the pilots as well.


                        I made a standard gauge Mack diesel a while back powered with a truck from a Bachmann GE 44 ton switcher ( http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=10392 ) I'd like to do another HOn30 version, but keeping the proportions of the prototype, because I really like these little Mack engines.

                        -Cody



                        If I uploaded the file correctly, here's a photo of an HOn30 critter I built on the same Kato mechanism.


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That's an excellent critter Jeff,

                          I especially like the side-frames and journal details.

                          -Cody

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Very nice Critter Jeff. The detailed motor gives it a lot of personnality.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Cody & Frederic,

                              Thanks for the compliments. The cab is from an old Minitrains steam loco. The prime mover and radiator are from the Life-Like diesel generator load. The end plates and steps come from a Grandt Line 23 tonner kit. The horn is from a Bachmann 70 tonner. The bell, sunshades, and journals are brass detail parts. The rest is Evergreen styrene.

                              Jeff S.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X