Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conversion possibilities from HO to On30??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Conversion possibilities from HO to On30??


    I was reading the topic thread from Shamus about how he converted a Rivarossi HO Heisler into a tiny 0n30 Heisler. I am wondering if there are other conversion possibilities. If so, are there articles or kits available to do it? Any input would be appreciated.

    I wouldn’t mind converting a couple of my good running HO diesels to On30.

    Paul

  • #2
    There are Paul, I am waiting on delivery of a critter conversion kit from Boulder Valley Models that will allow me to covert one of my LL P2K S1 or S3 units.

    http://hometown.aol.com/dallastrains/KD06-1.html

    There are others as well like Backwoods Minatures at http://www.backwoods.dabsol.co.uk/0n3kits.htm.

    Hope this helps.

    BTW I'm pleased to see the On30 line section created.

    Comment


    • #3
      Paul,

      Here is a list of just a few of the magazine articles that I found that talk about converting HO locomotives to On30.

      GAZETTE, Mar/Apr 1999, pg 61: Bill & Mary Miller, "Modifying Bachmann On30 Train sets and HO Diesels"

      GAZETTE, Mar/Apr 1980, pg 28: Gorden North, "Building an On30 Gauge Mogul"

      RMC, Jan 1985, pg 86: Tom Houle, converts a MDC 2-8-0 old timer to On30.

      MR, Nov 1983, pg 126: Allen Brewster, "Some On2 1/2 motive power ideas".

      I hope these articles will give you an idea of what you can do to HO locos.

      Dan
      Dan



      Happiness begins with dessert.

      Comment


      • #4
        A specific 0n30 forum,now your talkin'.

        Converting Ho locos to 0n30 huh. Isn't that why they invented HO?
        Johnathan (Catt) Edwards

        100% Michigan made

        Comment


        • #5

          Thanks guys for the info. I have an Atlas S2 as well as a Kato SW2 I wouldn’t mine converting. I wouldn’t mind converting a couple of my P2K diesels but they are all too large.

          Paul

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, here are a few as well.

            1.) - MDC Shays are popular conversions...or at least were...before Bachmann came out with their On30 Shay. Banta Modelworks has O scale cabs for these.

            2.) - Mantuas 2-6-6-2s make fantastic loggers. Banta also has O scale cabs for these guys. Model Power is re-releasing this line of locos (June? July?) and I have one spoken for...

            3.) - Don't forget the AHM/Model Power/Cox (Etc.,etc.,etc...) little 4 wheel Plymouth MDT/DDT(??) industrial switcher - this one is actually O scale...for some reason gauged in HO and sold as such. There are new nice running releases of this loco out at the moment. Dirt cheap, too. Perhaps someone else could expand on these. Have a look on the Conspiracy for some spectacular bashes of this little loco.

            4.) - A popular conversion was a 2-8-0, using an IHC mechanism under a Bachmann 2-6-0 shell.

            5.) - I've seen a few Doodly-bug things bashed from HO diesel mechs under a bashed Bachmann combine. With the release of separate combines from Bachmann, I suspect we'll start seeing lots of these in the near future. Gawd, I wish I were good enough to do up one of these.

            Comment


            • #7
              quote:


              Originally posted by Lighthorseman


              3.) - Don't forget the AHM/Model Power/Cox (Etc.,etc.,etc...) little 4 wheel Plymouth MDT/DDT(??) industrial switcher - this one is actually O scale...for some reason gauged in HO and sold as such. There are new nice running releases of this loco out at the moment. Dirt cheap, too. Perhaps someone else could expand on these. Have a look on the Conspiracy for some spectacular bashes of this little loco.


              Got one of those on the chopping block now[:-smile_green] for this very purpose...I'll keep you posted.

              Comment


              • #8
                quote:


                Originally posted by shaygetz


                quote:


                Originally posted by Lighthorseman


                3.) - Don't forget the AHM/Model Power/Cox (Etc.,etc.,etc...) little 4 wheel Plymouth MDT/DDT(??) industrial switcher - this one is actually O scale...for some reason gauged in HO and sold as such. There are new nice running releases of this loco out at the moment. Dirt cheap, too. Perhaps someone else could expand on these. Have a look on the Conspiracy for some spectacular bashes of this little loco.


                Got one of those on the chopping block now[:-smile_green] for this very purpose...I'll keep you posted.

                Bob,
                Looking forward to your updates. I need all the "How To" help I can get.

                Paul

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi gang,

                  Thought you might like to see my whole fleet of 0n30 scratchbuilds and kitbashes.

                  Shamus








                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nice looking equipment, Paul. :up: I think you're soon going to be faced with a tough decision, either expand the layout to make room for new locomotives, or quit bashing any more locos.

                    George
                    The sky is not my limit, it's my playground.

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Shamus,

                      Great work again. You have a great looking group of locs there. I would be hard pressed to say which one I like best.

                      Paul B

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Great to see the herd all in one photo Shamus.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          quote:


                          Originally posted by George D


                          Nice looking equipment, Paul. :up: I think you're soon going to be faced with a tough decision, either expand the layout to make room for new locomotives, or quit bashing any more locos.

                          George


                          Oh No no no, I have plenty of places on the layout to hide about 7 rakes with loco's and still run locos around the layout and switch the sawmill. Mind you, I shall be getting the new Climax from Bachmnn as soon as it comes out so I might just have to let one of my critters go. :erm:

                          Shamus


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            quote:


                            Originally posted by shaygetz



                            Got one of those on the chopping block now[:-smile_green] for this very purpose...I'll keep you posted.


                            Shaygetz! Nice to see you over here as well!

                            Are you doing an On30 locomotive? I ask because a nice running N scale version has also recently been released, and that would make a dandy HOn30 critter.

                            If anyone at all is looking to bash an MDT/DDT, have a look at the On30 conspiracy. If you have an older poopy-running MDT, the Bachmann trolley mechanism is the exact same wheelbase as the MDT, and is a not too difficult conversion. The entire mech, including flywheels fits right into the base of the MDT. Then, the entire superstructure is freed up for interior detail, as well as open engine hood additions, such as the Life Like HO diesel engine flatcar load. I haven't done this (yet...), but the pictures of the completed ones (On30 Conspiracy) are truly inspirational.


                            I can post more on this if you like, as I currently have all the assorted components for this really neat kitbash. I just wish I had the time. :erm:

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Paul,

                              Valley Model Trains has a sale on the the Boulder Valley Model Dunkirk Class A Logging Locomotive conversion kit. The kit is designed to fit an HO Athearn SW-7 chassis.

                              Jim

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X