Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small 8 wheel hoppers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Small 8 wheel hoppers

    I got these from eBay, they're resin flat castings very similar to the old Red Ball cast metal kits. i carved off the cast-on grabirons and drilled for 18" drop on the sills and 24" straight on the ends. I also carved off what I suspect are supposed to be buffer blocks around the couplers. I'm using Kadee 158 short whisker couplers. The trucks are old IHC delrin 4'8" wheelbase with Intermountain wheelsets.



    The assembly approach I use is to glue initially with Goo, and once things are in position, lock in place with thin CA.

    They're light, so I'll add weight and then coal loads.

    These are not high-end kits, but they're inexpensive and great for building up a "unit train" of small coal/ore hoppers.

    dave
    Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

  • #2
    Nice snag Dave!

    The voices knew what they were talking about. Aren’t you glad you listened?



    erdnA

    Comment


    • #3
      they look good Dave. Prime and paint time

      Bob
      It's only make-believe

      Comment


      • #4
        Dave,

        Fine looking string of cars. They will go well with your jimmies.

        I built one of these a few years ago. Like you, I made some modifications, but different ones to more closely match the P&R prototype.

        Mike
        _________________________________________________

        Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

        Comment


        • #5
          Nice work, Dave. I'm looking forward to seeing them painted.
          Bruce

          Comment


          • #6
            They look great Dave. The details looks pretty good too from this distance.

            Bernd
            New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

            Comment


            • #7
              Nice typical coal cars for the 1870's through 1890's. Throw in a car like a PRR GB or GD or a P&R HK for a little variation the profile. I think I saw those castings a while back, but by 1900 those type cars on the P&R had been retired. Darn.
              Dave Husman



              Iron Men and wooden cars

              Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

              Comment


              • #8
                quote:


                Originally posted by dave1905


                ... but by 1900 those type cars on the P&R had been retired. Darn.


                Rule 1 applies! I'm looking forward to having a long train of these on my 1898 era layout being hauled by my Little River 2-4-4-2 :-) :-)

                dave
                Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

                Comment


                • #9
                  quote:


                  Originally posted by deemery


                  quote:


                  Originally posted by dave1905


                  ... but by 1900 those type cars on the P&R had been retired. Darn.


                  Rule 1 applies! I'm looking forward to having a long train of these on my 1898 era layout being hauled by my Little River 2-4-4-2 :-) :-)

                  dave


                  That would certainly be a neat "rule 1" train. What's long for you?

                  Bob
                  It's only make-believe

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    quote:


                    Originally posted by railman28

                    ...That would certainly be a neat "rule 1" train. What's long for you?


                    Bob


                    For these and the similarly sized 26' gons I have, probably, probably a dozen would be the longest train that would fit on my passing sidings. I also have a half-dozen or so of (Alkem) 4 wheel jimmies, which would make an even longer train if I had enough of them to fill the passing siding :-)

                    dave
                    Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      quote:


                      Originally posted by deemery


                      quote:


                      Originally posted by railman28

                      ...That would certainly be a neat "rule 1" train. What's long for you?


                      Bob


                      For these and the similarly sized 26' gons I have, probably, probably a dozen would be the longest train that would fit on my passing sidings. I also have a half-dozen or so of (Alkem) 4 wheel jimmies, which would make an even longer train if I had enough of them to fill the passing siding :-)

                      dave


                      4-wheel coal Jimmies are available on Shapeways,

                      Bob
                      It's only make-believe

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Trucks and bodies painted, I still need to add brake staff.



                        dave
                        Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Those are nifty, Dave.

                          Yer a'doin' good.

                          Andre

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            They look real nice. It would be neat to see about 2 dozen of them behind that 2-4-4-2 and an old style caboose.

                            Bernd
                            New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Nice Dave. How are going to letter them?

                              Bob
                              It's only make-believe

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X