Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine version of Atchafalaya Boathouse

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CNE1899
    replied
    Rob,
    Great work on the hoist! I like how you used the coat hanger and blended it in with the wood! Also love the patina on the metal sections.

    Scott

    Leave a comment:


  • George_D
    replied
    Looks good, Rob. I like your drop in design.

    George

    Leave a comment:


  • Carl_B
    replied
    Rob, great work in this project..

    Post 347 I see 1 photo...
    Post 348 I see 2 photos..

    Leave a comment:


  • robert_goslin
    replied
    Have trouble seeing some photos, so have posted some again. Above post, I can see 3 of them on my home computer, but only one my work computer.
    maybe because I edited after posting ?
    Is anyone else have trouble seeing my photos ?

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040512.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	994688

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040513.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	994689

    Leave a comment:


  • robert_goslin
    replied
    Thanks Mike, George & Jerry.

    I've added some barnacles to the bottom of the piles, and finished off the rope, tying them all together.
    The short front pile is 15mm longer than the back two, (see above picture), so a couple of holes were drilled in the base, and it all just drops into the holes for a tight fit.
    So can be removed if ever needed.
    Now I just need to do the H beam from the structure to the hoist frame. I'm building the sliding clamp and blocks at the moment.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040515.JPG Views:	0 Size:	128.3 KB ID:	994609


    Last edited by robert_goslin; 5 days ago.

    Leave a comment:


  • TRAINS1941
    replied
    Rob really a nice job on that hoist!!

    Leave a comment:


  • George_D
    replied
    Looks good. Your plastic matches the wood.

    George

    Leave a comment:


  • Michael_Hohn
    replied
    Rob,

    There is a surprising number of bits and pieces to the hoist. Looks good. Coat hanger? I like your resourcefulness.

    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • robert_goslin
    replied
    I've got all the dock glued to the base now. No pics yet. Waiting on some decent weather to take it outside.

    So I've started building the gantry hoist to go on the right side of the dock.
    Here's how Geoff's original looks. I like it, so mine will be near identical.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	201412517224_6502 - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.0 KB ID:	994402
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1269 - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	214.1 KB ID:	994403

    I didn't have enough wooden rod on hand of the longest length, So the smallest diameter one is the same as the dock pylons, , the longest piece which is balsa, is slightly larger, and I still needed some slightly larger again for the shortest length. I had some plastic coat hanger on hand, that suited what I need.
    And some Evergreen H channel for the metal frame

    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040504.JPG Views:	0 Size:	217.3 KB ID:	994404

    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040505.JPG Views:	0 Size:	224.4 KB ID:	994405
    All the bits painted & weathered
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040506.JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.1 KB ID:	994406

    And assembled. Still need to wrap more rope around the poles, but wanted to show I'm making some progress
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040508.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.0 KB ID:	994407

    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040507.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	994408
    Last edited by robert_goslin; 1 week ago.

    Leave a comment:


  • robert_goslin
    replied
    Thanks Mike & Scott.
    No, not bullet holes, just a bad casting (air bubbles). I should probably weather it to hide my error. Rust makes everything right. ha ha

    Leave a comment:


  • CNE1899
    replied
    Rob,
    The wall, pilings and drums look great! I especially like the pilings.
    Are there bullet holes in those drums?

    Scott

    Leave a comment:


  • Michael_Hohn
    replied
    Everything looks good, Rob. Very realistic.

    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • robert_goslin
    replied
    Also did a slime line on the bottom of the stone wall ( had some trouble continuing the above post)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040492.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	994112

    And have made up some pylon details and painted some more drums
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040493.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	994113
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040494.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	994114
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040495.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	994115

    This weekend I should finally be able to set the wharf in place.

    Leave a comment:


  • robert_goslin
    replied
    I've finally got the water done. It took several attempts to get the finish I'm happy with.
    Ended up using Modge Podge this time. The first three coats I tinted the MP, but found it too dark.
    In the end I just painted over it with a mottled finish, then did another two coats, just with clear. Happy with it now.

    It looks better than in this pic

    Last edited by robert_goslin; 1 week ago.

    Leave a comment:


  • robert_goslin
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Jerry. I really like the Slaters products
Working...
X