Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lou’s Logging Split Camp Store

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jerry, Larry, Ron, Mike and Bruce thanks so much for your posts and comments, as well as following along with this build.

    Jerry, it's great stuff once dried, but can be difficult at times while trying to get it on.

    Larry it will work equally as well on O scale window panes. See here where I used it as a vehicle window glazing, a hole much larger than O scale panes: https://railroad-line.com/node/23455

    Ron, the liquid does look puddled and thick when first put on, but shrinks to a fine old time glass effect.

    Mike, thanks!

    Bruce thanks for your thoughts and comments.


    Louis
    Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

    Comment


    • Nice work, Louis. I've tried all those different glass glues. Just depended on whtat I had at the time. All with similar results.
      And the by-product is, you've got that slight ripple look, so common in old glass.
      I prefer clear plastic for my windows, but as you said, being visible inside too, it wouldn't look right.
      Good result.
      Regards Rob

      Despite the cost of living, it's still popular

      My current build.

      https://railroad-line.com/node/40644

      Comment


      • Originally posted by robert_goslin View Post
        Nice work, Louis. I've tried all those different glass glues. Just depended on whtat I had at the time. All with similar results.
        And the by-product is, you've got that slight ripple look, so common in old glass.
        I prefer clear plastic for my windows, but as you said, being visible inside too, it wouldn't look right.
        Good result.
        Thanks a lot Rob for your following along, posts and comments. Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbup1.gif
Views:	68
Size:	252 Bytes
ID:	968764


        Louis
        Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

        Comment


        • That Gallery Glass looks like a winner! I've used Canopy Glue in the past, but your panes look far superior than the Canopy glass I've used. Excellent job Lou!

          Jim
          Take the red pill

          Comment


          • Thank you Jim!


            Louis
            Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

            Comment


            • I am a little late on this thread but.......the building details, window frames and glass effect really look neat. Nice work my friend.

              John Holt

              GULF COAST & WESTERN

              Comment


              • Hello John, thanks for your comments, leaving a post, joining in and following along.


                Louis
                Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

                Comment


                • I’ll be covering my split camp store with tarpaper material. To start with, I cut a piece of cardboard to measurement for the roof. I then marked off lines where the tarpaper will line-up across the roof, and colored the bottom with a brown sharpie, that will be seen through the rafters from the inside, and colored the edges that would be seen under the tarpaper. Then I used black construction paper from Michael’s craft store, and lightly sprayed/misted a covering of grey, flat black, and olive drab paint misting the construction paper to get the base color wanted. Some monitors may not show the exact color, but picture is attached. Next, I cut strips 3/8 inch wide from the construction paper for my tarpaper width. Then using a 220-grit sandpaper block I lightly sanded down the length of the strips, from top to bottom of the strip width to add to the weathering and direction of rain runoff. Next, using a fine wire brush and X-Acto knife I picked and brushed the bottom edge of the tarpaper strips. You can be as aggressive, or as mild as you prefer for the old age look. I used plan old Elmer’s glue to glue down my tarpaper onto the card stock, and added weight until dry.
                  After the tarpaper has been dried down in place onto the cardstock roof, you can trim the sides of the overhang tarpaper. Once the cardstock roof has been glued onto the structure, you can further weather the tarpaper using weathering powders until you get the look you prefer.
                  Next, I’ll be gluing the cardstock roof onto the structure, doing some weathering to the walls of the structure, and return with pictures of my progress.


                  Click image for larger version

Name:	35 Roof cardboard.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	968841

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	36 Roof paint.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	968842

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	37 Roof tarpaper.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	968843

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	38 Cutting-Sanding.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	968844

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	39 Tarpaper install.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	968845

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	40 Tarpaper trim-finish.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	968846


                  Louis
                  Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

                  Comment


                  • Louis,

                    Your use of the gallery glass came out perfect. I've tried a similar product in the past, and it works ok if the window openings are not too large.
                    In other models, I just resorted to using real glass slides, but with the cutting & scribing processes we have to go through, it's not great unless you take
                    considerable time because the glass never breaks where you want it to , leaving you frustrated. If that method works out, it is great, but not all end up being the same, like yours.
                    Great modeling and looking forward to the next segment.
                    Rich

                    Comment


                    • Roof is looking great Louis,

                      I saw those Sharpie paint pens at Micheal's the last time I was there and they seemed promising. After seeing your results, I just might have to get me a set.
                      Ron Newby

                      General Manager

                      Clearwater Valley Railway Co.

                      http://cvry.ca

                      Comment


                      • Looking good Louis. Nice SBS on the roof tar paper. I like those Sharpie pens as Ron said.

                        Bernd
                        New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Pennman View Post
                          Louis,

                          Your use of the gallery glass came out perfect. I've tried a similar product in the past, and it works ok if the window openings are not too large.
                          In other models, I just resorted to using real glass slides, but with the cutting & scribing processes we have to go through, it's not great unless you take
                          considerable time because the glass never breaks where you want it to , leaving you frustrated. If that method works out, it is great, but not all end up being the same, like yours.
                          Great modeling and looking forward to the next segment.
                          Rich
                          Thanks Rich for your comments. It will work equally as well on O scale window panes. See here where I used it as a vehicle window glazing, a hole much larger than O scale panes: https://railroad-line.com/node/23455 You can see how well it works and covers the opening.


                          Louis
                          Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by elwoodblues View Post
                            Roof is looking great Louis,

                            I saw those Sharpie paint pens at Micheal's the last time I was there and they seemed promising. After seeing your results, I just might have to get me a set.
                            Hi Ron, and thanks for joining in and leaving a comment. Yeah, those pens come in handy for a quick, get-her-done type of project.


                            Louis
                            Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Bernd View Post
                              Looking good Louis. Nice SBS on the roof tar paper. I like those Sharpie pens as Ron said.

                              Bernd
                              Thanks Bernd. Some say I tend to drag on my SBS instructions, drawings and pictures, but I feel any and all information should be thrown out there, due to there being many type of modelers from new to scratch building, to the very old types.


                              Louis
                              Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

                              Comment


                              • If we had thumbs up smilies I would give you one!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X