Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lou’s Logging Wood Disc load

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • desertdrover
    replied
    Originally posted by Larryc View Post
    Lou you certainly have a talent for "imagineering"; awesome job on the disconnect poles.
    The couplers looked to have been quite fiddly but you did a great job. Just think how much
    easier that would have been in On30....hint, hint.
    OUCH, you just busted my walls.
    Thanks for your post and comments Larry, Another definite reason why On30 would have been better.

    Leave a comment:


  • Larryc
    replied
    Lou you certainly have a talent for "imagineering"; awesome job on the disconnect poles.
    The couplers looked to have been quite fiddly but you did a great job. Just think how much
    easier that would have been in On30....hint, hint.

    Leave a comment:


  • desertdrover
    replied
    I know this is dated back in 2020 Horton, sorry I just when through my builds and saw your post. Thanks for taking a look and leaving your comments. The couplers work great, and no additional work should be needed.

    Leave a comment:


  • bandman
    replied
    A very interesting project, Louis. Thanks for sharing. I keep wondering if adding another shelf coupler to the adjacent disconnect car would help with that dropping problem, but I'm not that familiar with shelf couplers. Just a thought.

    Horton M.

    Leave a comment:


  • desertdrover
    replied
    quote:


    Originally posted by locolouie


    Hey desertdrover, another awesome build. I love how you converted the Kadee couplers on the rooster tail so you can continue using standard couplers instead of link-and-pin (which are, IMO, a PIA).

    Your contributions are top notch!

    LocoLouie


    Thanks very much for checking-in and posting your comments. Now knowing about the #118 SF couplers with the added wire, also simplified things and I can un-coupler from the pole and pull away now by keeping the trip pin in place.

    Leave a comment:


  • locolouie
    replied
    Hey desertdrover, another awesome build. I love how you converted the Kadee couplers on the rooster tail so you can continue using standard couplers instead of link-and-pin (which are, IMO, a PIA).

    Your contributions are top notch!

    LocoLouie

    Leave a comment:


  • desertdrover
    replied
    quote:


    Originally posted by Bill Gill


    Louis, great solution adding the wire to the 118 coupler shelf. You're a logger through & through


    Thanks! [:-cowboy] :up:

    Leave a comment:


  • Bill_Gill
    replied
    Louis, great solution adding the wire to the 118 coupler shelf. You're a logger through & through

    Leave a comment:


  • desertdrover
    replied
    quote:


    Originally posted by k9wrangler


    Just an observation, that Rooster Pole would be one heavy son of a gun when yu got done with the shipment and wanted to use the disconnects for something else...


    The pole was stored until needed once again. They were very heavy, but the logging business didn't have wimpy men hanging around.

    Pictured below is a push pole. A push pole is a hardwood pole between 8 to 12 feet long and 5 inches in diameter used between the 1870s and 1960s to push a freight car (on an adjacent track) onto or off a siding or other track. Placed between a locomotive and the freight car, the two ends of the pole would fit into receptacles called push pole pockets. You can see even they were hefty.

    And then you have the rooster pole that was quite heavy as well. No such thing as OSHA back in those days.

    And, that wooden dowel I have shown there is just a test pole with slots cut into it to hold the uncut coupler ends to test the fitting.






    Leave a comment:


  • BurleyJim
    replied
    That's where the guy with the Extra large T-shirt and Extra small baseball hat comes in handy.

    Lou, the 'disc' could be swapped out in favor of hotdog pennies, and it could be a party car.

    Jim

    Leave a comment:


  • k9wrangler
    replied
    Just an observation, that Rooster Pole would be one heavy son of a gun when yu got done with the shipment and wanted to use the disconnects for something else...

    Leave a comment:


  • desertdrover
    replied
    As the women would say in the church hall, “BINGO”!

    After looking at the #118 SF coupler this afternoon, instead if a shim epoxied in place, I thought of using a thin wire. So I drilled a #76 hole in the top shelf of the coupler, and inserted a K&S .020 wire, Stock #499, and used ACC Gel to glue it into place. Once dried I cut the wire at the face of the coupler.

    It works perfectly now holding in place, and a lot less work than having to modify the #5 coupler trip pin. And an added plus here, is that on the test track when placed over an un-coupler magnet the rooster pole trip pin worked as usual, and uncoupled from the adjoining disconnect, letting the pole uncouple and drop. So I won't be cutting of the trip pins.

    That leaves me with, still thanks going out to Bill Gill for introducing me to the Kadee #118 SF coupler, and starting this adventure for me.










    Leave a comment:


  • desertdrover
    replied
    Thanks Bill, Greg and Rich for your thoughts and comments.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pennman
    replied
    Wow, Louis, you sure make great stuff. I find new things every time I check back. Excellent work.

    Rich

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Louis, no matter how you slice it, that's one interesting looking setup!

    Perhaps a museum wanted this wood disc for an exhibit, and this is what they came up with to ship it too them.

    Greg Shinnie

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X