Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lou’s Logging Wood Disc load

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    quote:


    Originally posted by k9wrangler


    Just an observation, that Rooster Pole would be one heavy son of a gun when yu got done with the shipment and wanted to use the disconnects for something else...


    The pole was stored until needed once again. They were very heavy, but the logging business didn't have wimpy men hanging around.

    Pictured below is a push pole. A push pole is a hardwood pole between 8 to 12 feet long and 5 inches in diameter used between the 1870s and 1960s to push a freight car (on an adjacent track) onto or off a siding or other track. Placed between a locomotive and the freight car, the two ends of the pole would fit into receptacles called push pole pockets. You can see even they were hefty.

    And then you have the rooster pole that was quite heavy as well. No such thing as OSHA back in those days.

    And, that wooden dowel I have shown there is just a test pole with slots cut into it to hold the uncut coupler ends to test the fitting.








    Louis L&R Western Railroad
    Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

    Comment


    • #92
      Louis, great solution adding the wire to the 118 coupler shelf. You're a logger through & through

      Comment


      • #93
        quote:


        Originally posted by Bill Gill


        Louis, great solution adding the wire to the 118 coupler shelf. You're a logger through & through


        Thanks! [:-cowboy] :up:


        Louis L&R Western Railroad
        Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

        Comment


        • #94
          Hey desertdrover, another awesome build. I love how you converted the Kadee couplers on the rooster tail so you can continue using standard couplers instead of link-and-pin (which are, IMO, a PIA).

          Your contributions are top notch!

          LocoLouie

          Comment


          • #95
            quote:


            Originally posted by locolouie


            Hey desertdrover, another awesome build. I love how you converted the Kadee couplers on the rooster tail so you can continue using standard couplers instead of link-and-pin (which are, IMO, a PIA).

            Your contributions are top notch!

            LocoLouie


            Thanks very much for checking-in and posting your comments. Now knowing about the #118 SF couplers with the added wire, also simplified things and I can un-coupler from the pole and pull away now by keeping the trip pin in place.


            Louis L&R Western Railroad
            Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

            Comment


            • #96
              A very interesting project, Louis. Thanks for sharing. I keep wondering if adding another shelf coupler to the adjacent disconnect car would help with that dropping problem, but I'm not that familiar with shelf couplers. Just a thought.

              Horton M.

              Comment


              • #97
                I know this is dated back in 2020 Horton, sorry I just when through my builds and saw your post. Thanks for taking a look and leaving your comments. The couplers work great, and no additional work should be needed.


                Louis L&R Western Railroad
                Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

                Comment


                • #98
                  Lou you certainly have a talent for "imagineering"; awesome job on the disconnect poles.
                  The couplers looked to have been quite fiddly but you did a great job. Just think how much
                  easier that would have been in On30....hint, hint.
                  Owner, General Manager, and all around "chief cook and bottle washer" of the Caz Coal-and-Wood Railroad

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Larryc View Post
                    Lou you certainly have a talent for "imagineering"; awesome job on the disconnect poles.
                    The couplers looked to have been quite fiddly but you did a great job. Just think how much
                    easier that would have been in On30....hint, hint.
                    OUCH, you just busted my walls.
                    Thanks for your post and comments Larry, Another definite reason why On30 would have been better.


                    Louis L&R Western Railroad
                    Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X